Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-21-04, 01:03 AM   #1
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking
Default cold weather hints

water temp about 50. small lake good variety of structure reeds stumps creek inlet and channel through lake pretty clear water weather light rain very overcast and cool. few bites and small ones on variouse senkos on drop shot at about 15 foot close to shelfs dropping to about 25 foot max depth. just cant find anything hot or big. almost no fishing pressure(duh its winter) topwater is defintaly not working. what colors baits and presentations do you guys go to in the colder weather?
also somebody back a while mentioned doodleing in cold weather. can anyone elaborate on doodleing?
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 04:21 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: cold weather hints

i don't doodle but i was out sunday with water temp of 41.6 +-.caught 5 nice bass largest about 4 1/2lbs.missed 4.i was fishing a 4"worm on a ball head jig.found an old farm foundation in 11 to 15 ft of water.worked it very slow through the rubble letting it sit and shaking it.some of the fish hit hard.others you could hardly feel anything other than a tick.
good fishing
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 05:05 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

this is what I got when doing a search on bassresource.com

http://www.bassresource.com/cgi-bin/...maxchars=10000

My understanding of it is basically just shaking the line to make the bait wiggle.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 08:35 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Snag, in that temp I would throw one of two things: A jig-n-pig in cover, and a suspending jerkbait around the cover. Fish it slow, but try a few fast retrieves just to see if that is what they want it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:50 AM   #5
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn
Default What I know on doodling

Doodling is a finesse worm fishing technique invented by a guy named Don Iovino.
It's best used on suspended bass in clear, deep lakes like the ones found in Cali., but can be used on any lake that has clear to stained water.
The gear to use,
Most guys use either baitcasting or spinning gear with a 6-foot of medium action rod with a fast tip.. Usually, spinning gear is preferred when using 6-8 pound test for deep fishing, and baitcasting for 10-pound and up when flipping. You wanna place a small, glass bead between the worm and a brass sinker Use 4- to 4 1/2-inch worms on 1/0 hooks, and 3-inch grubs on size 1 hooks. Paddle tail worms are best suited in the spring whereas straight tailed worms work best in the fall and winter. Use a 3/16-ounce weight when working the bottom on deep structure, a 5/32-ounce weight on suspended bass.

The Technique,
Let the bait fall to the preferred depth, then shake your rod tip. You've got their attention now, so just wait - at least 30 seconds. Then shake again for about 2 or 3 seconds, stop and pull slowly about six inches. Then drop slowly back down again and repeat the process. The first thing to change if they're not biting is to slow down. In depths of forty feet or more, the bite feels like a slight pull, like the pressure you feel when stretching a rubber band. Set the hook when ever you feel this or anything else "odd".

Colors that work best,
Purple is the preferred choice on overcast days and in deep water. Motor oil is used primarily in the summer and fall because it looks like shad and small fry in shallow water and turns black in deep water. Try using a crawdad color (browns) in the Spring. Red can also be a dynamite color - use a darker shade in dirtier water. Cinnamon-blue, a color that most likely represents a natural night crawler, is a good overall color to use.

Tips,
Always be sure to use somekind of scent.
In the Spring, fish uphill ,position the boat in shallow water and cast to deep water, and use a 1/8 ounce weight.
Fish downhill in the Fall from shallow water out to deep.
Use a Texas rigged worm to prevent hang-ups.
Fish the worm suspended 90% of the time.
Always use a good quality sharp hook.
When doodling, it is critical to keep your presentation natural by downsizing your hooks to 1/0 or lower, and paying delicate, almost scrupulous attention to how straight your bait is in order to maintain a natural presentation. Most finesse worming is not a reaction strike so a worm that is not rigged properly will generally eliminate the possibility of ever getting a bite. In addition, a long sweeping hook-set will put the hook in the fish's mouth and keep it there more firmly than will a snap-set simply because the sweep-set will keep pressure, never allowing the hook to back out of the fishes mouth. It will also keep the fish deep until it has been played out.

Crystal clear waters can be tough. It is times like this when it is good to downsize your presentation and go to a 6-foot spinning outfit. The secret to fishing weenie worms is to keep slack on your line and "shake" the bait instead of dragging. The shaking of the rod and your light line give your worm, grub or reaper an amazing action.
Most guys like to use a clear, faceted bead. Often the little flash from the bead attracts better. Sometimes you can use ceramic beads as the sound is slightly different than what bass hear all the time. Don't be afraid to experiment with colors, whether glass, plastic or ceramic. Try using a bead and no weight at all sometines. You can try a variety of beads including a stainless steel one. This, coupled with the lead or tung. weight creates a very different sound.
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 07:18 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wow fool another long one ... maybe we should start calling you "long *** thread writing fool."

good info by the way.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 10:44 PM   #7
spinnerb8

the boy do have a long way with words!!
this board could use an article section where fellas like F-n-F,Chip and others could post articles like this..It would sure be a welcome change from the norm!(as long as it was legit and in decent taste)
Old 12-23-04, 12:47 AM   #8
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all the great info everyone. tried the jignpig cheapo in blue and black did allright 4 bass today. largest was just a hair under 3 but i like to round up haha. bites are all very soft no real aggression. but a definate improvment. oh yeah water was colder than i thought 44 first thing in the morning and got up as high as 47 later in the day.
Old 12-23-04, 12:54 AM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Snag, catching 4 in water that cold is a good job. Congrats!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 01:03 AM   #10
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks its a whole differant world outside of el paso. im enjoying it for the time.
Old 12-23-04, 01:58 AM   #11
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn

Tnx for the vote of confidence guys. But I just read on the net everything I can on bass fishing. Ya got to pick up a few things along the way. LOL

By the way without sounding to much like an infomercial I'd like to mention that I have a new bait that will be out in a few months that will make a great doodling bait. I call it the Flap-N-Fool. It will be a beaver tailed ribbed grub about 3" long. It should be a good drop shot bait too, but with a little more bulk then most other drop shot baits. I think I'll offer them in a heavy salt version and a no salt one as well. I hope to add them to my website in about Feb.
Tnx FNF
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 02:13 AM   #12
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

F-N-F, cool let me know when it comes out. dropshot is moveing up on my list of favorites. hasnt been fantastic but when nothings hot dropshot consistently gets a few hits. sometimes its my skunk shield ;D

funny about the doodeling, just meaning wiggleing during presentation just a differant name for something alot of people do anyway.
Old 12-27-04, 05:25 PM   #13

http://bassresource.com/fish/doodlin.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.