Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-04, 12:33 AM   #1
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u
Default Fishing Lizards

I want to know everything about fishing lizards. Carolina rig or texas rig? What colors are the best producers? What Retrieve? Where to Fish them?

I want to know everything you can tell me.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 12:45 AM   #2
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default Re: Fishing Lizards

That could take a while and a lot of typing from a bunch of people. Car. or Texas- either way
Color- whatevers working for you currently w/ soft plastics.
Retrieve- I drop mine through lily pads, grasses, off tree limbs, let them sink and dead stick, work them pretty much like a worm.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 12:48 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards is the man on this subject, and I'm sure he will weigh in on this. They are versitile baits. I fish them mostly on a C-rig, but will also T-rig them. They are especially effective in the Spring, when the fish are spawning-lizards, or to be correct, salamanders, eat bass eggs and the fish do not like them. They are also real effective around hydrilla mats or pads dragged weightless across the top and pulling it into pockets or open water. A lizard along with a baby brush hog are my two main C-rig baits.

Colors-I don't care what type of soft plastic I am fishing, the best colorI have found is watermelon red flake. Black, watermelon seed, green pumpkin and baby bass are also great colors.

I fish them in the same places I fish any other plastic bait-T-rig in heavy cover, C-rig to cover water and in areas with more sparse cover.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 10:32 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1103859207;start=0#2 date=12/23/04 at 22:48:32]Lizards is the man on this subject, and I'm sure he will weigh in on this.[/quote]

ok here I go, but I will make it short. HA HA

Quote:
They are versitile baits. I fish them mostly on a C-rig, but will also T-rig them. They are especially effective in the Spring, when the fish are spawning-lizards, or to be correct, salamanders, eat bass eggs and the fish do not like them.
Well there is some argument to the fact that waterdogs/salamanders actually eat the eggs, some say they don't, so say they do, but regardless of whether they do or not, Bass attack them constantly for food which everyone agrees on.

Quote:
They are also real effective around hydrilla mats or pads dragged weightless across the top and pulling it into pockets or open water. A lizard along with a baby brush hog are my two main C-rig baits.
I prefer Strike King 3X or Snapback when c-rigging, due to the fact that they float better than most other brands. I usually buy Zoom since they are readily availble in Indiana, and of course I go through a lot of them. Always use a good amount of scent when fishing mats/pads/vegetation, because it helps them slide over the vegetation. I actually use a Lizard in place of where most folks will use topwater frogs, due to the ease of hooksets, compared to ALL of the frogs I've ever used, which is pretty considerable(anybody want to buy some frogs?).

Quote:
Colors-I don't care what type of soft plastic I am fishing, the best color I have found is watermelon red flake. Black, watermelon seed, green pumpkin and baby bass are also great colors.

My favorite color is ALL BLACK, but will fish any color, mostly darker colors, green pumpkin being my 2nd favorite. Of course flukes are a whole different story.

Quote:
I fish them in the same places I fish any other plastic bait-T-rig in heavy cover, C-rig to cover water and in areas with more sparse cover.

My preferred method of fishing them is T-RIGGED, WEIGHTLESS I usually use either a 3/0 or 4/0 offset Owner Wide gap hook. I use a twitch-twitch pause presentation, with the pauses being however long you need them to be for the fish that day even if it means letting it hit the bottom. If you have any type of cover it's flat out a Great bait and as my name implies LIZARDS RULE BASS. I really like them around timber though, and vegetation. One of the big reasons IMO, is that it moves more water(vibrations) than a standard worm/senko/stick, especially in murky/dirty/ water. However I catch so many just letting it fall slowly to the bottom, they inhale it, the profile, with the arms and tails moving are fabulous to get the bass biting. Some folks complain that they bite the tails off, and I can assure you it isn't a Bass that's biting off the tails, probably bluegill/breem, because a bass will not just nip it, it eats it whole. OK that's the short version

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 02:51 PM   #5
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

dang the long version must be like war and peace ;D
good info though!
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 04:53 PM   #6
bassguy2004

Lizards, do you use them all year long? Anytime?
Old 12-24-04, 04:56 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

like lizard i mostly use only one rig on lizards that is a c-rig.most of my lizard work is during the dead of summer. and i like only one color mossy pumkin. why i don't know always caught more bass with this color than others.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 11:50 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=news;num=1103859207;start=0#5 date=12/24/04 at 14:53:34]Lizards, do you use them all year long? Anytime?[/quote]

Yes, but I will prefer other baits, during the really cold times, such as a PNJ, Baby Flukes, and Hard jerk baits(Smithwick,Rapala's etc) with lots of loooonnnng pauses.

Lizards
Old 12-26-04, 12:06 PM   #9
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Great info Lizards!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 12:11 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Tony link=board=news;num=1103859207;start=0#8 date=12/26/04 at 10:06:09]Great info Lizards![/quote]

Thanks Tony,
I appreciate your input always 8) Glad to see ya around, hope you had a Great Christmas with the kids Keep casting, and hook a Hawg ;D

Lizards
Old 12-26-04, 12:21 PM   #11
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

ok.time to be a little different. I use them mostly during the spawn. I use junebug or motoroil color. However,I split shot rig them for the shallower water. slower, more natural fall, and i use The Original Fish Formula, Garlic. I also place a piece of alka seltzer in behind the head after rigging. It gives the apperarance it is alive and breathing.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.