Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-06-07, 11:27 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Default Prop bait.

I think prop baits are the hardest to DETERMINE when and where, under what conditions to use. I think the retrieve is predicated by the fish but I am at a loss for everything else. I believe it was Aaron Martins who was using a Nip-de-doodle and devils horse to catch five pounders. I will be honest, not even the torpedo has been a producer for me. I brought a lucky (lucy) craft archer bee double prop. OOOH it spins like a dream BUT, hasn't brought home any scales. What has been your experience with prop baits and what type/technique would you suggest for success.
thanks.
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 11:40 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Prop baits can be awesome-best day I ever had came on a chrome/black back Tiny Torpedo-I lost count at 27 LM on 27 consecutive casts, all between 1 and 2 pounds.

Fish then wherever you would fish a topwater. I cast the out and work them like you would a Pop-R. You can also use just a straight retrieve-just chunk and wind. Just keep throwing it-I GUARANTEE you will eventually get bit. A chrome/black back tiny/baby Topredo it tough to beat.
Old 02-06-07, 11:54 PM   #3
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

My son rags me because I throw them alot. I just love their flexibility. You can make them subtle or really make a comotion with them. I with they were heavier though. I usually use a devils horse and they are light. I also have one that I made out of wood that my son REALLY gives me a hard time about. Gives me as much crap about that as he does about my double bladed buzz baits!
Old 02-07-07, 02:01 AM   #4
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

They work really well when there is a little bit of chop on the water. The conditions and fish mood are always a factor to how I throw the noisy things, but my favorite retrieve is a steady quick jerk on slack line since it lets the lure do a little walk-the-dog, and because that retrieve usually gets the most vicious and exciting strikes.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:09 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the only prop baits that work for me are the tiny torpedo(Heddon)...black and crome is my first pick, however the frog color works here and baby bass..
For some odd reason the bigger torpedos don't produce as much for me.
I throw the buzzbait and zaraspook the most, but when I'm fishing heavy pressured lakes the torpedo works great in either a slight ripple or still conditions. I like to pull it about a foot and then stop, then repeat.
Make sure you sharpen the hooks that come with it or replace them with better trebs.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 09:26 AM   #6
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have had very good luck with the Devil's Horse. I work it similar to a Pop-R or chug bug; short pulls and let it sit a few seconds.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.