Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-15-08, 01:35 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally got my new line in today.

After being backordered for a couple of weeks, I finally got my new Pline CFX fluoro leader line in today. I purchased 3 spools of 27.2 yards of 15 lb so it should last me a long time. I am hopefully going to try it out tonight at the local pond. I will report back but I am pretty positive it will be just fine since everyone of Lancer's suggestions to me have been great.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 01:36 PM   #2
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nice...I hope it works for you...let us know i was thinking about ordering some but i was not sure...
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 03:45 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I was going to get the P-line CFX leader, but at 9 bucks for 27.5 yards, I bought a spool of Seaguar Carbonpro for 14.99 (200yds.) Is there a difference between lines advertised as leader material and ones that aren't besides amount of line?

BB
Old 10-15-08, 03:56 PM   #4
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Fluorocarbon lines designated as leader material are stiffer and will stand up to more abuse than the castable fluorocarbon you'd spool your reels with. Both have their time and place.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 04:06 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

From what Lancer told me along with every sales person I have spoken with at BPS, fluoro line that is made specifically for leaders is more durable than just "plain old" fluoro line.
Old 10-15-08, 05:23 PM   #6
jasonfish320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
From what Lancer told me along with every sales person I have spoken with at BPS, fluoro line that is made specifically for leaders is more durable than just "plain old" fluoro line.
....There's a lot of marketing behind those prices, don't be fooled, you can buy some good line if you shop around, I've been fishing a lot with calcutta's line and so far so good.
Old 10-15-08, 05:56 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
....There's a lot of marketing behind those prices, don't be fooled, you can buy some good line if you shop around, I've been fishing a lot with calcutta's line and so far so good.
Yes but fluoro leader line is stiffer and more durable than regular fluoro main line. You certainly would not want to use CFX leader line as your main line even if the price was lower and it came in a 600 yd spool. It is way too stiff.

Sure other alternatives can and do work. My purpose for purchasing it was that it is exactly what I need for my specific application. I fish 95% of the time using weightless plastics. I am in the process of obtaining equipment made specifically for that purpose; very light rod with a lot of action, very light reel, braid line to increase casting distance of light lures, fluoro leader line because fish can see the hivis braid, and plastics that the fish won't let go of.

Right now I have the braid, leader, and plastics. Santa might bring me the rod and reel. By no means do I plan on having 8 different $500 setups for every application. This is going to be my ONE pride and joy setup.

Will I enjoy having a nicer setup than my combo setup that I have now?
Most definitely.
Do I believe that the setup will increase my chances of catching more fish?
Yes.
Will this setup guarantee me a catch everytime?
No. But my confidence will be high when I use it and that can't hurt.
Old 11-22-08, 11:53 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Reporting back after using the CFX leader line. Great stuff and I have only used 10 feet of the leader. I used the first 4 foot leader up retying a lot because I was experimenting with different size and type hooks. I have a 6 foot leader on my setup now and have had no problems. I give this leader line an A+.

I have caught around 10 bass using this leader and have not had any breaks in the line at the braid/leader knot or at the leader/hook knot. The line is really a lot stiffer than normal fluoro line and it is virtually invisible in the water. I do make sure that when I store the rod and reel I do not have the fluoro line through the top guide. If stored for a long time (more than 2 days), you will have a bend in the line that takes a while to straighten out.

I use a J-knot for the braid/fluoro knot and a palomer knot for the leader/hook knot.
Old 11-23-08, 01:22 AM   #9
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Reporting back after using the CFX leader line. Great stuff and I have only used 10 feet of the leader. I used the first 4 foot leader up retying a lot because I was experimenting with different size and type hooks. I have a 6 foot leader on my setup now and have had no problems. I give this leader line an A+.

I have caught around 10 bass using this leader and have not had any breaks in the line at the braid/leader knot or at the leader/hook knot. The line is really a lot stiffer than normal fluoro line and it is virtually invisible in the water. I do make sure that when I store the rod and reel I do not have the fluoro line through the top guide. If stored for a long time (more than 2 days), you will have a bend in the line that takes a while to straighten out.

I use a J-knot for the braid/fluoro knot and a palomer knot for the leader/hook knot.
Awwww.... Thanks! You da man!
I'm delighted to have helped.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 09:22 AM   #10
chubs

FnG i have seen in a few different reports that the Improved cinch knot has a higher brakeing strenght than the palomer when floro is being used to attach the lure.I started using the improved cinch this season and have had good success.When im on straight mono i still use the palomer.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 10:49 AM   #11
pig n jig

I like P-Line products but when it comes to leader material, I buy Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material.It works extremely well with no failure.

I see floroclear now comes in a mist green color. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 12:16 PM   #12
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
FnG i have seen in a few different reports that the Improved cinch knot has a higher brakeing strenght than the palomer when floro is being used to attach the lure.I started using the improved cinch this season and have had good success.When im on straight mono i still use the palomer.
As long as you properly wet and tie the palomar knot it holds fine when used with fluorocarbon lines . I have been using 20lb Seaguar invizx and have tied nothing but the palomar knot with no problems .

Jim
Old 11-23-08, 03:00 PM   #13
chubs

Every knot has a breaking point and the palomer knot took 2nd in these lab test.Im fishing clear lake smallies on light line and get a little nervous when a big smallie is tugging 6lb test.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.