Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-16-04, 06:34 PM   #1
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default setting the hook

when holdin the rod upward and you feel a tap, do you jerk then or what? any advice would be greatly appreited....i normally hold it downward and watch for the fish to run with it but im sick of paying for sensitive rods and not getting the best of them thank you all for takeing the time to read my post
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 06:52 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: setting the hook

Once you feel the tap wait a second or two, lower the rod tip reel in the slack and set it hard. If you feel the weight of the fish set the hook immediately.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 06:58 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

What Hula said-feel the tap, reel down to take up the slack and cross it's eyes. That's with a soft plastic or jig. If I'm using a crankbait or a spinnerbait I retrieve them with the rod tip down so I don't have to set the hook like I do with a worm or jig, I either raise the rod tip or pull the rod away from the lure and that usually does the trick.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 07:01 PM   #4
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks alot
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 08:53 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

With soft plastics, virtually all of my strikes are detected by sight rather than feel, that is, I see the line moving off to the side or (rarely) away from me. As soon as I see the movement, I set the hook, unless I think it's a panfish.

On those few occasions when I feel something that I think is not a panfish, I'll set the hook as soon as I feel the fish. I believe almost all the time a bass strikes, it will quickly inhale the bait. Therefore, by the time you see moving line or feel something, the bass has already engulfed the lure.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 08:59 PM   #6
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

I'll second "Whenever you feel the weight of the fish."

When worming, it may be a few seconds before you feel the weight (even if you reel down to it) and if spinnerbaiting you'll probably feel it immediately.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 09:03 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I use soft jerkbaits A LOT. And earlier this year around may I got most hits working one pretty quickly just below the surface and so I felt most of the strikes and was able to set the hook. Now I'm catching lots of fish deadsticking them so when I start to reel in and if I feel something heavy on the end, then I set the hook.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 09:50 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

last weekend i was using a jerk bait i never felt the strike just the lure moved differant. during a pause..

i have to amit that not one fish was hooked in the mouth every where else.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 12:01 AM   #9
bassguy2004

Last Sunday a friend and I went to Clear Lake and the only fish we felt were the dinks. All the other fish 2lbs and better; the bites were nonexistant. Only pressure. Q: So when do you set the hook? A: When anything feels strange. Anything.
Old 09-17-04, 12:31 AM   #10
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

"Jack em' up!"

...~often heard from the excited pier fishermen, as a King Mackerel takes the bait, and starts it's run (when I'm fishing on Dan Russel Pier at Panama City Beach)

...please do the same with bass fishing, nobody wants
to lose a fish because they were careless about setting the hook,
or "Jackin em' up"

~my only comment,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 02:38 AM   #11
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

Am no expert at setting the hook or bass fishing for that matter, but I normally will let the fish run with it a bit then set the hook after reeling up the slack.. I find I dont miss too many fish that way.
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 05:18 AM   #12
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

If you wait to long after feeling the first tap one of two things happen: The fish will swallow the hook or it will drop the bait. both of them are bad
- saw it on denny bruaer's show

So I normally set immediatly when I feel that first tap. thats why it's important to always keep your rod and line lined up for the strike, and keep two hands on the rod at all times.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 08:28 AM   #13
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish

not really any info on setting the hook. but last night i watched three times as a bass took my soft plastic into its mouth and spit it out with in a milli-second. i didn't even have time to react to set the hook.

i'm not smart enough yet to figure out what that means about hook setting but i'm sure it means something.
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 03:47 PM   #14
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Zooker,

The other day I had three different strikes on crankbaits with out hooking any of the three. They were obviously trying to "kill" the bait. Caught a few that were hooked on the outside of the mouth.
Did have a good fish roll on a crankbait, while it was sitting still. That fish ate the bait. I mean both sets of hooks down in the mouth.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 05:37 PM   #15
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

bass guy, when fishing a river, whatever you do, don't do that.

Those rocks and current are really going to nab you. Because they all feel weird. Hit the rock and wave goodbye to your lure.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 04:28 AM   #16
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

just set the freakin hook
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 05:35 AM   #17
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Setting the hook all depends on what type of bait you are fishing. When fishing spinnerbaits, or crankbaits, setting the hook is pretty simple. You set the hook when the fish hits it. Soft plastics are a little bit different. The odd thing about soft plastic baits is that there are so many different types, and different ways of fishing them. The one basic thing is to set the hook when you feel the weight of the fish. That is a given. Say I am fishing a texas rig, and I feel a tap tap. I am going to lower my rod and reel up the slack and pick the rod tip up slowly. If i feel the fish, then I bow it up. With baits like senkos, and flukes, most of the time you feel the weight of the fish while you are working the lure back. Weight equals crossed eyes, lol. If you are fishing soft plastics and ALL of your strikes are detected by line movement, then you are letting a lot of fish swallow the hook. Line movement is very important in certain situations, like deeper water. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 08:17 AM   #18
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

I have been taught by some noble members of this board that when you fish a jig and pig, to set the hook whenever you feel anything....set it immediately on the first tap.

If you don't, you will feel a second tap....the second tap is when the fish is spitting out the lure and that doesn't come long after the first tap.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 11:37 PM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Mac10 link=board=news;num=1095370467;start=0#17 date=09/25/04 at 07:17:07]I have been taught by some noble members of this board[/quote]

Wow where are those guys
;D On THIS Board

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 12:22 AM   #20
FiremanFountain
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FiremanFountain

yeah i set the hook once when i felt something. it was my first time fishing with my own stuff, i was fishing some cover with a crank bait, felt a weight on the lure, set the hook hard, snapped the 12 lb test line i was using. the rod nearly flew from my hand. it was pretty funny, but sad becuse i lost a lure.

eric
FiremanFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 12:34 AM   #21
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

dang,

u might not be good at setting the hook...

...but u might become a great dentist ;D

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 01:01 AM   #22
FiremanFountain
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FiremanFountain

nah, that was my first time. i have clamed down since then. i did that becuase i had been wathing the pros and it looked like they would put their whole body into it. well i put all 200 pounds of my body into that first hook set so i made sure he didn't get away. well i lost a lure but had a great laugh with my fishing buddy. so its all good.

eric
FiremanFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 09:41 AM   #23
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i personally reel down to get rid of the slack and just pop it i dont yank it as hard as the pros, but i do give her a good pop. one time i tried yanking it like the pros, but i had the hook fly outta the fishes mouth and do a perfect back cast in to a tree.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 12:53 PM   #24
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have to agree with mt
when using a fluke or a senko type lure i tend to really lay into the hook set. most of the bass i caught this year on plastic's were very light to nothing the line jumped or moved. -i use envy green ande for this reason - most blade hits were very hard and/or the bait disapeared. when using a crank bait it is important to have a good rod, a good reel, and great line. i can tell if i hit a tree/wood or bottom, and a fish smacking it. i use a 7 foot m fenwick rod a ambassador reel-torno-and 8 pound test mono-cajun lighting or ande-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 05:37 PM   #25
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

IMO,the hookset is the 1st and last chance to make sure that fish is coming into the boat barring any line problems.
set the hook once and shattered a browning gold medallion 7ft heavy flippin stick...good thing it was only a stump and not a fish.if i didn't have glasses on i'd be called one eye.
a hard hookset is very important.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.