Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-18-13, 08:29 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boat Ramp Problem

Has anyone ever backed the tires of their boat trailer off the concrete slab of a boat ramp? I'm talking about when there is a hole at the end on the concrete and the trailer is resting on it's frame. If so how did you recover?
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 09:04 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I never have, then again my boats dont require trailers ; )
Sounds like a bad time to be sure!
Old 11-18-13, 09:34 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes,we have one with a broken end at winter pool easy to do,those with 4 wheel drive no problem,im 2 wheel but still pulled it up,in my case one wheel off other still on .
If not possible then another vehicle of any kind or anything one can hook to like a tree and a 25 dollar comealong inbetween.$48 dollars worth of 1/2 in chain does come in handy Also have 1952 ford 8N if close by.

Last edited by lilmule; 11-18-13 at 09:46 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 11:55 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've never been in that situation and I hope I never am, although I have 4 wheel drive so I probably would be able to just pull forward. I don't know how well this works in reality, but I've heard a few people claim that this is a solid solution if you're ever in this situation. They claim that if you have enough strap on your winch then you can pull it out several feet past the back of your trailer. Run the strap under the cross member on the back of the trailer and then run it up and hook it on the bow eye of your boat (which you obviously need to pull up to where it is sitting with the bow eye slightly behind the back of your trailer). They claim that once it's hooked up you can raise the back end of your trailer enough to pull forward and get all your tires on concrete by tightening the winch. The theory is that as it tightens down to the eye on your boat it will lift the back of the trailer up enough you can pull forward. Like I said, I have no idea if it works or not but if you're in that situation about anything is worth a shot.
Old 11-19-13, 08:47 AM   #5
lilmule

While its not easy just pulling forward generally will do with a 4 wh drive once tire hits it rolls up and over,2 wheel dr iffy.(lucky)
Birdsong creek and resort the end of the ramp is gone broken off at low pool to float one falls off yet chock full of those doing it all with 4 wheel drive and a duck boat,not wanting to put in several miles away and even cross the lake,most of these duck boats have mud buddies as very shallow back end.
Yes im the joker in a bb in dim light coming in at 60 mph from across the lake pads are still up and if one falls out wont get wet above the knees,and yes land in the middle of them at times,came in 5th two years ago with shot raining down on the boat.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 12:12 PM   #6
bassboogieman

With 4 wheel drive you should be able to pull out the trailer, worst case you may have to float the boat off. I pulled a Dodge Dakota AND trailer out of a lake when a guy jumped out of his truck forgetting to put it in park, and the truck kept right on going into the lake until it stalled - front wheels under water and back wheels off the ramp. The boat floated off the trailer and off across the lake. He was not a happy camper, I was hardly able to contain myself when he came up to me in the parking lot asking for help, it was a sad situation but OMG - so funny. Anyway, I have some decent rope in my boat (emergency towing) so I unhooked my trailer and as he was already wet had him tie off to his frame and then to my hitch. He reached in his (thankfully) open window to put the transmission in neutral and I pulled him right out. LOVE the RAM truck with a HEMI. Then I hooked up my boat, launched and went across the lake to put him in his boat. He offered me money, but I could not accept any - the laugh was payment enough.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 02:57 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

Had this happen to me last year. I had to back down the "bad" side of the ramp because somebody else was on the "good" side. The ramp has a little tilt to it, so my side was shallower. That meant I had to back down farther to get trailer deep enough to float the boat on. I went a little too far and the tires dropped off the concrete.
The ramp was wet, and my truck is 2 wheel drive. Thank goodness it was a holiday weekend, and there were a few game wardens there checking for drunk boaters. 4-5 of them pushed me out, with a lot of tire spinning and smoking. Plus, my tires were pretty well worn, so I'm sure that didn't help at all. I got out at one point to see if I could launch the boat again and move to the better side of the ramp. I put on the parking brake, but the ramp was so slick my truck started sliding backwards. I had to hold it with the regular foot brake, since the front wheels were what was keeping the truck still.
Needless to say, I haven't ever launched on that side of that ramp again. I've always waited till the "good" side was free. Plus I got newer, better tires, and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-05-13, 03:49 PM   #8
Thornback

My boat trailer has a vertical gusset welded to the frame to bolt the front leaf spring to. That gusset is what caught on the end of the concrete ramp when my tires rolled off the concrete and the trailer was resting on the frame. Slowly pulling forward and then a sudden stop. Had I tried to yank it out or had a 4-wheel drive I could have ripped the spring gusset off the frame. That was not an option. I was able to wade out and lift the trailer about 5 inches and a friend pulled my truck forward about a foot, just enough to get the tires back on the ramp. Since then I have bolted a triangle shaped piece of 2x12 pine to the frame. Now should I back the tires off the concrete the trailer will just be resting on the wedge of wood. I can back up another foot and still easily pull the trailer out. As I pull forward the wedge of wood lifts the trailer until the tires roll onto the concrete.
Old 12-09-13, 01:44 AM   #9
Captmikestarrett

I have done that many many years ago. Ended up busting the U bolts on the axle to spring. Literately dragged it up the ramp. Put a jack under it and unhooked. Found a new pair of U bolts , nuts and washers not more than 2 minutes from ramp at of all places the little convenience store right by the ramp.

Suspect I was not the first person to do this.

When stuck I tried to tie a rope to the end of the trailer and lift up while pulling forward and it did not work. Had my two girls with me and they where about 6 years old so I had to watch them and attempt the lift. Yea frustrated I put the Bronco in 4x4 low (billy goat mode) and yanked the axle clean off. It was not a good day.. even the fishing was bad.

Capt Mike
Old 12-15-13, 01:03 PM   #10
F16 1UB

April 2013 on the Harris Chain in FL specifically Hickory Point my partner slid me in the water and as soon as he saw the boat float off he put it in gear and up the ramp he went. While he started up the ramp I saw the trailer jump about a foot and really didn't think anything of it....until we quit. In front of both wheels were crushed fenders....Oh Yeah....Ranger Trailer Fiberglass Red Flake....$hit....called insurance & they said $3200 to repair but cheaper to replace....8-12 weeks to order from Ranger Trail....8 weeks later I went back to my local Ranger Dealer to check on status and was told "Lemme check"....Sir we hadn't ordered them yet....Okay - I stopped by 1st time & they wrote it up, 2nd time THEY called me and asked for certain measurements....yep done that....3rd time passes & now NEVER ORDERED. I was fuming....Told the dealer to ....you know what I said....went down the road 1 mile to Nitro dealer & explained my dilemma. Ordered fenders & installed in October. Life is good....

The boat launch area has 12 lanes....9 of them are roped off due to low water even today. NO "Major" large tournaments are launched from here. 2 years ago the Elite guys fished the Harris Chain but launched from another area.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 03:20 PM   #11
Thornback

Using a 2x12 pine board I cut two wedges and bolted each to the underside of my trailer frame. Now when my trailer drops off the concrete ramp it falls on the wedge and it's easy to pull the trailer forward until the tires roll up on the concrete.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.