Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 11-15-09, 08:30 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Club Classic/Championship

Fished the two day classic this weekend and had two completely different days on the water. Sat was overcast, cool with some rain, and windy. Today was clear, warm, and little wind. Yesterday I caught all of my fish on outgoing tide and had my limit by 11 AM. Today I had one little skinny keeper by 11 and then the tide turned and I caught my limit on incoming tide.
So here's how each day went. Sat started with one keeper on a chatterbait over grass next to pads. Moved to an area full of pads that I've never fished before due to it being too skinny to fish but we've got super high tides and plenty of water coming into the creeks so we got into this are with ease. Picked up two more keepers, one 2lbs +, on the same chatterbait. Ran over to Capt Mike's creek and picked up another keeper on the c-bait over grass. Then I hit the big fish of the tournament, a 4.5lb kicker, over grass on Trash point on the c-bait. Stupid me I didn't put in a couple bucks in the big fish pot. So now I've got a limit and I switch up baits and start flipping a baby brush hog. I hit another good fish, a 3+, and finish the day with 12.4 lbs and I'm leading the tournament.
This morning starts out with a little runt that just touches 12" on a RC 2.5 over grass. We hit the same areas as yesterday and my partner hits a fish here and there and I can't buy a bite. We run across to Mattawoman again and I get nothing. My partner hits a nice keeper and is close to his limit and I'm getting worried about my lead. I miss a fish that picks up my c-bait and runs directly at me. By the time a catch up the fish I drops the bait and I swing and miss. Frustration is setting in. We run back across the river and I make a decision to fish a grass bed that I've done well on but never this time of year. We work down the inside edge and I hit a keeper. We turn around and I pick up a good fish. I miss another and make a third pass and put my fourth keeper in the boat. Things are looking up but it's getting late and I've got to find a good fish. We run to a feeder creek and hit some pads. Nothing. Run to some laydowns. Nothing. Ok, lets hit a drop next to a marsh bank with the baby brush hog. Bingo! I find a 3.6 off some grass. Now I've got a limit and it's time to head back but we have a little time left. My partner hits his fifth fish and I cull the dink on the same RC 2.5 and we head in for the final weigh in of the year.
My parnter ends up tied for 3rd place (he tied the Major) and I weigh 10.2 for a total of 22.6 and 1st place.

Sorry no pctures yet . They will be coming soon .
Old 11-15-09, 09:36 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Congrats on the WIN 3d!
Old 11-15-09, 09:46 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congratulations, Smitty!!! Obviously, you use them for a reason, but are those Lucky Crafts really that good? $20 good??
Old 11-16-09, 11:39 AM   #4
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Congratulations, Smitty!!! Obviously, you use them for a reason, but are those Lucky Crafts really that good? $20 good??
$10 good. BPS used to put them on sale over the winter. They're good baits but my partner caught fish on a DT3, DT4, and a Cordell O too.
Old 11-16-09, 11:47 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

Nice win!!...Sounds like a battle on the second day...Cant wait to see some pics!
Old 11-17-09, 12:30 AM   #6
3dkicker

Me too. Photos haven't been loaded on the club website yet. As soon as they are I'll post them. Should be good pics of the 4.5, 3+, 3.6, and 2+.
Old 11-17-09, 09:43 AM   #7
Captmikestarrett

I got a call Sunday morning from Gil while on a charter asking where the fish are. I told him the same thing I told you. But we had two big cats on and I needed to get off the phone so it was quick and not very detailed..

I have been waiting for your report. How did Gill do?

Capt Mike
Old 11-17-09, 06:08 PM   #8
3dkicker

We did pick up a couple fish in the no wake area. One off the end of a laydown and the other off the pads at the pilings on Sat. Thanks for the tip. Our better fish came off of grass next to channel drop offs (one area you suggested that we had pre-fished with success). We had to bring the baits, plastics or chatterbait, through the grass on the drop and then the bigger fish would hit. Smaller fish were caught over grass beds or scattered grass on crankbaits and chatterbaits.

Gil took 8th with 11.7 lbs. His partner 19th with 8.5 lbs. Obviously he didn't pay attention during the first weigh in. I gave everyone all the information they needed. Chatterbait over grass. Mark (the Major) hit 5 for 13.6 the second day after having a bad first day. He listened and tied for third.

How big were the kitties?

Last edited by 3dkicker; 11-17-09 at 06:21 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 08:00 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

I am so close to MD state record I can taste it.. yea that kinda came out wrong..

I will post the big ones from the last couple of trips. All measured 38 to 46 inches.

I am heading for Nag Head /Buxton thursday to get my red drum..

My last big one was 6 years ago and was 47 inches long.

Glad you did well in the Tourny.

One thing that will remain constant is Mattawomen and the swamp that filters out the deluge of water from storms.. Untill the cross county connecter goes in that is..

Capt Mike
Old 11-17-09, 10:38 PM   #10
3dkicker

For the amount of rain we got last week the river was in very good shape. And it kept most of the pleasure boaters and many fishermen off the water until later on Sun. Mattawoman and Occoquan were in good shape. One grass bed closer to the river in Mattawoman that we caught numbers and quality two weeks ago was pretty dirty but that was due to wind and waves.

One day you'll catch thee Mr. Wiskers or his great grand mother.

Have fun fishing the surf. Did Ida affect the area at all? They have any beaches left?
Old 11-18-09, 10:37 AM   #11
Captmikestarrett

Ida pounded the area pretty good and I hear the point at Buxton has changed yet again. Rt 12 was closed and you see why in this pic.

That house in the water is for sale now. 1 us dollar and a cheese sandwich takes it.

Capt Mike
Old 11-25-09, 10:45 PM   #12
3dkicker

Okay, here are the photos of the winning fish. A little late...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic027.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	4490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic081.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	4491  
Old 11-26-09, 09:15 AM   #13
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats 3d. Lovely fish there man, just lovely. Much better than mine. Thanks man.
Old 11-26-09, 11:17 AM   #14
3dkicker

The pic on the right was one hour before high tide. At high tide the dock behind me was completely covered in water with just the pilings sticking up. Ida made the fishing interesting that weekend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.