Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-09-12, 12:25 PM   #1
dcmac214
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Why Hook-Line Tangling?

Is it me or is it just the way it is (the 'physics ' of today's lure designs)? Why is it my casting with crank, spinner & buzz baits is only 66% good...in this case good meaning 2 of 3 casts I get the lure where I want it without the hooks tangling in the line. That other 1 cast of the 3 the hook(s) tangle in the line while airborne making the lure useless when it hits the water.

Decades ago, up to ~1980, I probly averaged 3 days/week fishing. I started fishing again last summer, not very often but as often as I can. I don't remember having this problem before my 30 year hiatus. Since restarting fishing all this tangling is about frustrating me to tears.
dcmac214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 01:35 PM   #2
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

DC- I've noticed when I have this problem it boils down to the way I made the cast and the wind or how the lure hits the water. Especially with a crankbait or a lure with trebles, I've had them hit the water and roll over on the line. Or if I'm casting into the wind and the gust is strong enough I've seen the lure turn in the winde and catch my line.

I'm by no means advocating for the lure companies, just saying from my experiences with this problem it boils down to something I've done.

I can honestly say I don't have that problem as often, but when I do I see it happen and know that I've wasted a cast. I've also noticed if I have a line that holds memory that the line tries to straighten during the cast sending the lure in a "whirling" action in the air which doesn't help any. Before I got my Citica I had a bigger issue with this.

I throw a large majority of my cranks, ect on a 7' MH/F rod with the Citica and I very seldom have this problem. I think I owe a lot of this being corrected to the gear I'm using...does that make sense? Before when I was using heavier line (heavy mono) on a less than desirable reel (a BPS XT) I had this problem a lot. It took a lot of effort to get any distance out of the cast, therefore throwing more power into the cast and possibly overloading the rod tip and lure. Now I've switch to a 12lb flouro, made a few changes to the Citica, cleaned it real well and again, it has seemed to mitigate the problem. I have to put way less effort into the cast, the wind is my biggest enemy now!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 04:56 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't say for sure what is causing your trouble, but occationally, I have that problem too. And when I do, it's always a windy day and when I'm casting into it.
Old 09-09-12, 05:21 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey dc rare for buzz and spinnerbaits to "throw a leg over" the line but most common on balsa cranks/light-limp line/windy days. If you can... try to throw those little balsa cranks with the wind. Also I have found that if I give a fouled crank a couple of "pops" very often it will right itself.
Old 09-09-12, 11:46 PM   #5
joedog

It maybe as simple as bad line?
Not the brand per say but is it newer or old. This seasons or the last couple seasons.
Sometimes line can become twisted on the reel and then if stored for period of time the twist somewhat becomes inbedded in the line.
You throwing mono or braid or Floro.
Heavy mono and heavy Floro and light lures don't always work the best together.
I maybe wrong but your using spinning gear right?
Again, heavy lines can be even more of a challenge with spinning gear as opposed to casting.
If you think this maybe part of the challenge try some line conditioner.
keeps line fresher longer especially when outings aren't as frequent as you want. After each outing spray the reel before you stick it away. It's alot like the feel of fresh line each outing. Helps control twisting and such well.
Most floro users use the stuff religiouly, I do anyways and I'm fortunate and fish....alot.

Now if your using baitcasting equipment a hard stop at the end of your cast can cause this alot.
Especially if your aiming for a sepcific target. I sometimes feel I tossed harder than desired and will last minute slam my thumb down causing a jerk at the lure end....and fouled trebles.

Lastly there are just some brands of line that are harder to control. Again especially on spinning tackle.
Just some ideas.
Good luck on your adventure back to fishing. It's great to hear you returned and soon I'll be asking you for advice.

Last edited by joedog; 09-10-12 at 12:01 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 11:22 AM   #6
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In addition to the wind and the light bait issues, I have this problem more often with braid than with mono or copoly.

Another thing to consider: Do you have different equipment now? Could be just a case of learning on new equipment. Modern rods, reels and lines all behave differently now than they did 30 years ago.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 04:04 PM   #7
bassinbob

I faced this problem yesterday throwing crankbaits. It boiled down to the cast. If I casted fluidly there was no issue. If the cast was jerky then the tangle. In my case I don't think wind was an issue. Also it seemed to happen overpowering the cast with lighter baits.
Old 09-11-12, 08:22 PM   #8
WTL

I estimate that 24-33% of all tangles, overruns and backlashes are ordained by spirits of dead animals, in league with living fish to prevent successful angling. I have especially noted that said spirits take glee in ordaining a tangle when casting to visible or breaking fish.
Old 09-11-12, 11:07 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Ahh haa..... Billy long have I suspected you to be a Shaman, and now the confirmation. And adding just a touch of statistician to tweak the majic....excellent.Name:  sh.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  4.6 KB
Old 09-12-12, 02:40 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I was going to say pretty much what Dave & Bob said. I don't remember much from 30 years ago. But I do remember shorter and whippier rods. If you watch a bait during the cast and it is end over end(from my experience, no scientific background), you might be forcing it because the rod is either too stiff or limber. Mess around with some different rods with a bait. And check the weight class for your rod to make sure you aren't over or under loading it.
Old 09-12-12, 02:57 PM   #11
islandbass

All good points mentioned. From my experience and observation, another thing I noticed that contributes to that annoying occurrence is the thinner the line diameter, the more frequently it happens. Casting mechanics and wind as already mentioned seem to add to that.
Old 09-13-12, 04:25 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

Let me add the knot used and the type of split ring. Or no split ring.

A tumbling lure is a direct result of rod load and release timing. The more force on the cast, the worse it gets.

The loop knot with about 2 inches of lead will help.. if two split rings are used the lure can swivels on two axis and thus tangle as well. If no ring is used then please employ the long loop knot to keep it correct and moving right.

But if all fails try this... a stiff piece of 20 flouro 6 inches long in front of the lure. And smooth out the cast..

Capt Mike
Old 09-13-12, 04:51 PM   #13
WTL

Just another problem that is related, stickbaits and jerkbaits also sometime foul on the line during retrieve, usually with a limp line such as braid.

It would be neat if they made a product that gave braid memory and stiffness, such as a wax. The current alternative is a leader transitioning from braid to mono, something that Ive never been comfortable with.
Old 09-14-12, 12:42 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

Superglue the first four inches..??

Capt Mike
Old 09-14-12, 02:28 PM   #15
bassboogieman

Quote:
I estimate that 24-33% of all tangles, overruns and backlashes are ordained by spirits of dead animals, in league with living fish to prevent successful angling. I have especially noted that said spirits take glee in ordaining a tangle when casting to visible or breaking fish.
I thought waterdogs never tangled in the line...........

I've experienced that mostly with braid, in a breeze with light baits having treble hooks. Weighted baits seem to cast better and resist the tendency to tumble. Anytime the line is slack those darn treble manage to find it.

Ding, ding, ding - what a great idea.................. I think I found a use for those 5" long swizzle sticks I keep tossing after a drink.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 07:41 PM   #16
WTL

Superglue would probably weaken the line in making it too rigid...maybe hot glue? Twist the line around a glue stick 3 times, pull it back and forth heating it up and getting it on the line???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.