Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-04-11, 02:49 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default blade and pitch?

I have a 1997 hydrasport ls205. 20' with a 200HP evinrude. I need a new prop. ANy suggestions on brand, type, 3 or 4 blade, and how much pitch? THANks
Old 02-04-11, 03:21 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What was on it originally? Were you happy with it, or did you want more speed, better holeshot, better stability in rough water.....?
Old 02-04-11, 06:40 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a 97 cajun, 20'-6", 200 hp johnson, mine has a 3 bladed stainless prop with a 24 pitch. i love it.
Old 02-04-11, 06:46 PM   #4
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
I have a 1997 hydrasport ls205. 20' with a 200HP evinrude. I need a new prop. ANy suggestions on brand, type, 3 or 4 blade, and how much pitch? THANks
I would say you need a three bladed prop in the 24-26" pitch range. If your boat is light and you want more bow lift go with a longer rake and more outer radius cup. If you want more bite in the hole shot and more bite in your turns, or if you are running a heavy load then a short rake 4 bladed prop in the same pitch range is what you need. There is no such thing as a one prop fits all scenario. Every body rigs and runs thier boats differently so you need to try several props and pitches to see what works best for you.
Old 02-04-11, 07:19 PM   #5
lilmule

First off youve a stock gear case i bet,running props 3 1/2 to 4 in below the pad,24-26 is about right in any good 3 blade,23-25 P in a good four blade,somewhat dependant upon boat weight and load..As is your rude will run 25 P 4 blade shooters as small diameter,while old school and will vent cure is to drill vent holes or have done they are cheap all over ebay for 100 bucks and preform as well as any new prop when worked,cost is about 85 for rework(added cup,polish) and drilling,and will give as many rpms as a 24 P raker would.Without the rework or vent holes it still works just a 50 yard dash getting it on plane.
A 25 P tro4 would as well run on it cost new 450.or 23 P renegade its a bigger ear prop
Pitch is very much dependent upon height run at(must get water) as higher less restriction, weight,, hp ,and gear ratio.Your gr should be about 186/1.Im running an old xflow currently 140 at powerhead about 130 at prop at best and a 24 P raker on a stock gearcase 4 under due to 225/1 gr ,5700rpm-59.1 mph,but light boat weighing 1060lbs
A good place to check out P or speed is at http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Enter any four and it will give you the fifth,slip for a normal BB is 9 or 10 percent
some more many less so its often with better results than what show
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 10:20 PM   #6
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

thanks. I have a little bit of thinking to do

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.