Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-05, 11:21 PM   #1
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Default tournament help

i'm fishing a tournament in a couple of days and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what to try besides a jig. it's only my 2nd time to ever fish the lake. it's a small lake thats covered in stumps and trees and brushpiles and all that. it's a no wake lake because it has so many stumps.
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:24 PM   #2
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Basser
Default Re: tournament help

need some more info about the lake to help ya out. Water Temp. ,Clarity, etc.
Basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:26 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Having some more info would help. But you've got the right idea. Stumps and brushpiles are ideal places to throw a jig. I'd also try deadsticking senkos around brushpiles for a quick limit, and then switch to the jig in order to get the larger bass. Besides that, need more info.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:27 PM   #4
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

run a rattle trap through there.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 11:29 PM   #5
Stick-em

i'm not sure what the water clarity will be probably almost 60 and the water is between clear and partly stained.
Old 04-12-05, 11:51 PM   #6
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Your name says it all! Run a spinnerbait around those stumps and you should get bit.

After the sun pushes the fish tight into the cover, work a lizard or craw.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 03:38 AM   #7
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Early in the morning when sun is coming up, use a buzzbait. After the sun is out try a spinnerbait. If large one is not working move to a smaller size.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 08:41 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Ranger_461VS link=board=news;num=1113358915;start=0#5 date=04/12/05 at 22:51:37]Your name says it all! Run a spinnerbait around those stumps and you should get bit.

After the sun pushes the fish tight into the cover, work a lizard or craw. [/quote]

I definately like Rangers suggestion here. I would also add a fluke rigged weithless, and a Shallow crankbait in either shad or Bluegill pattern. The fluke is weightless, so therefor can be twitched pretty well in and around timber. The crankbait can be brought over top of most of the stuff, and sometimes, just pauising it and letting it sit on top for some time can get you a heck of a hit.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 10:12 AM   #9
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

Hey Spinnerbait-what lake? In what state? It sounds exactly like a lake I am fishing a tourney in this weekend. But if not like the others have stated, I would pull a spinner bait, or even a suspending jerk bait in the am, and when the sun gets overhead, craws, jigs, and I alwasy have good luck with a wacky rigged zoom trick worm. Depending on the clarity, I choose colors accordingly. Clear I usually use a watermelon seed, and dip the tail in chartruese. Good luck, and tight lines.
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 07:47 PM   #10
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

After fishing LA for 7 years, I can tell ya that a rattle-trap is the way to go. We caught loads of bass in that stump field while using this particular bait.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 09:21 PM   #11
Stick-em

thanks for the help guys. i fished the tournament wednesday night like i said its a little local tournament. i came in 2nd out of 15 or more boats. i tried spinnerbait, jig, tube, carolina riggin a lizard,and a fluke and didn't get a bite on any thing. and last week i got 4th with the spinnerbait. it was tough fishin abunch of guys had no fish or just one(its a 3 fish limit). i had 2 and caught them on a crankbait at 5 ft. around the wood.
Old 04-15-05, 07:38 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=spinnerbait_king link=board=news;num=1113358915;start=0#10 date=04/14/05 at 20:21:44]thanks for the help guys. i fished the tournament wednesday night like i said its a little local tournament. i came in 2nd out of 15 or more boats. i tried spinnerbait, jig, tube, carolina riggin a lizard,and a fluke and didn't get a bite on any thing. and last week i got 4th with the spinnerbait. it was tough fishin abunch of guys had no fish or just one(its a 3 fish limit). i had 2 and caught them on a crankbait at 5 ft. around the wood. [/quote]

Congrats on the tourney. Wood is GOOD ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.