Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-17-04, 10:00 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default braided on spinning mono on baitcasting

Ok, I got two setups and this is what I like to use. With a spinning you want a 6-8lb diameter line to cast well, but if your line is that light you can lose a lot of fish. However, when 20 or 30lb braided is used it has the same diameter but much more strength.
And for baitcasters where usually a bit heavier line around 10-20lbs is better for casting, I'll use that. I'm just talking in general, not if you're gonna do something like flipping and pitching where you wanna use braided on a baitcaster. Does anyone else do this?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 10:07 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: braided on spinning mono on baitcasting

For worms, jigs, and C-rigging braid is all I use. I prefer it because it is more sensitive, no stretch so I get a better hookset, and I can throw into the thickest stuff and get a fish out of it without very much trouble and no worries about breaking off.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 11:41 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

POPR,

I fought it for years, flip flopping back and forth and finally settled on braid for everything.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 05:14 PM   #4
BassSAT
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassSAT

what exactly is the diffrence and how does it affect your casting distance i have a spinning reel with 14#trilene xl i dont know if it is braided or mono and it seems i just cant cast it as far as i would like to even with a 1/8 oz bullet weight i can cast a spincasting reel with 10# test line a lot further what am i doing wrong? what is good casting distance for spinning reel with weight and weightless? should i just buy a baitcaster if i want to go for distance and still stay weightless? any help would be appreciated ???
BassSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 05:40 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

bassmania, the 14lb trilene is mono and for a spinning reel it has too big of a diameter, and that is why you're not casting as far. You should use 6-8lb to get the best casting distance, because of the thinner diameter. But if it is only 6-8lb test it will break easily and cause you to lose more fish. With braided line you can have 30lb line with the diameter of 8lb mono line.

You probably don't need a baitcaster cause a spinning reels casts a bit farther anyway. You want to use heavier mono with baitcasters for better casting, I've got 17lb trileneXT which is working really well for me, it has a great casting distance and its strong and doesn't get nics easy.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.