Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-22-13, 06:01 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Devastated and mad!

MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE TORNADOES.
It will take some time for me to heal while those directly hit try and do the same.

What pisses me off though is that the two schools that took direct hits DON'T have safety rooms in an area called TORNADO ALLEY.
The city officials said they didn't have enough money to put one in every school....so they didn't.

Heck, we even have SAFTY ROOMS in the schools in Wisconsin.
These poor kids suffer because our country has better things to spend their money on.
Tragedies will always happen but when money seems to be ALL WE THINK ABOUT they will continue to happen to those that have no say in the spending of OUR money.

Next time you have to vote on school spending in your area you may want to ask....is a bigger gym more important than a safety room?
You may want to check and see if YOUR KID'S and Grand
Kid's schools have a safety room.
They had tornado drills monthly....but saw no need for a safety room?

Again my heart goes out to ALL those folks whose lifes have changed due to this tradgady.
Old 05-22-13, 06:53 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would have to agree. Our nations spending priorities, whether at a national, state or local level often leaves me scratching my head. And securing the lives of our children should be right there near the top of any list. And in areas of high risk, safe rooms should be mandatory in all new building plans for all schools. Now I don't know if a safe room above ground is going to make a huge difference in an F5 tornado, but it sure is a better alternative than not having any safe place for students and faculty to seek shelter should a tornado appear.
Old 05-22-13, 09:45 AM   #3
lilmule

Have to agree grew up in poor w.va even we had a basement with a secure concrete floor above,could have flattened or removed the building with not much harm below.
It also had a cd room,in those days the A bomb was the threat they feared,yet at same time those did double duty in nado alley complete with a years supply of crackers.
It is not mother natures fault,she is fickle,admin and builders should not be thrifty.
Normally if one builds in an earth quake zone,they build somewhat with some protection built in often by law,so tornado area should have no less a requirement.That pertains to commercial buildings and or public ones not homes.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 10:53 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Let's be honest folks, "high risk" is still incredibly low risk. From a cost benefit standpoint, it probably doesn't make purely financial sense to put a tornado shelter in any school. I know that is no comfort to those who lost loved ones, but it is the truth.

By the way, the reason you have them in Wisconsin is political. The state government obviously has no problem whatsoever spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on something that provides no benefit other than a warm, fuzzy feeling to voting parents (and union construction workers of course).

From 1884-2013 there have only been 290 recorded tornado-related deaths in schools in the U.S.

That's about 3 per year, assuming 100% of them could have been prevented by providing safe rooms (certainly not the case).

Should we spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars to prevent 3 deaths per year?

This is why we try not to let those who are grieving set public or fiscal policy.
Old 05-22-13, 11:38 AM   #5
Tavery5

I have to agree with Bryce on this, while it is a tragedy, it is just too costly to put a basement in every school in the country. I would be in favor or the requirement to add a sheter area to any new school or gymnasium addition in the future.

I guess after the storm season was over the shelter would make nice office space for all the armed guards we are adding to the schools. To soon to make jokes I know, but it had to be said.
Old 05-22-13, 11:53 AM   #6
joedog

Couldn't a school serve also as public sanctuary for any town folk.
I'm not so sure I'm grieving per say.
More like questioning when are or rather HOW MANY lives is worth it?
My understanding is this is the second major storm in this city.
Some schools in the 'alley' or better yet, not in the ally that do have safe rooms.
So are you willing to choose 'WHICH' kids DESERVE it.
Or 'WHICH' kids are safe.
Yes I'm willing to be taxed for 'OUR' future and especially vulnerable children.
Can you really put a price on even ONE life?
Can't a gym or cafeteria be constructed safely to serve a daily usage too.
Maybe let the town folk rent it for functions or whatever.

Maybe the next Bill Gates, Mozart, Einstein or Benjamin Franklin was crushed.
I pay EXTREME TAXES on crap I don't want and see no value to my country's success or future.
KIDS I do.
If I get crushed when "I'm" working, I made those choices.
Our children don't. We sent them there.
Tragedy's will always happen and yes we all are saddened and even shocked at times. Yes sometimes policy is made based on emotion...frankly ALL policies seemed to be made based on emotion...but sometimes you just have to let your heart or gut help make them.

I would rather keep politics out of this but you may want to talk to the Stoughton, Wi. students first.
They also feel warm and fuzzy today.
Plus we spent 3 BILLION just trying to figure out who should run the state.
Buy's a lot of safe rooms!

Please this is NOT knocking Bryce's thoughts AT ALL!
Somethings may be more important than cost sometimes is my only thoughts.
Old 05-22-13, 12:28 PM   #7
nofearengineer

I didn't mean you were personally grieving, Joe, though you definitely seemed to be "caught up in the moment".

I would remind you of the Newtown shootings. Partisan hacks trotted those parents out to demand weapon bans. I can imagine that if my child were killed like that, even I (for a moment) would entertain the notion of bans. But like grief, knee-jerk reactions fade with time and clearer heads prevail.

A person's opinion on policy is not somehow more valuable because they have been a victim or suffered a loss.
Old 05-22-13, 12:57 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Couldn't a school serve also as public sanctuary for any town folk.
Most towns have Churchs and other places that provide this same service.
I'm not so sure I'm grieving per say.
More like questioning when are or rather HOW MANY lives is worth it?
My understanding is this is the second major storm in this city.
There are typically less that 500 deaths a year attributed to tornadoes, maybe we could target something that would save more lives.
Some schools in the 'alley' or better yet, not in the ally that do have safe rooms.
So are you willing to choose 'WHICH' kids DESERVE it.
Or 'WHICH' kids are safe.
Yes, I am ready to make my vote.
Yes I'm willing to be taxed for 'OUR' future and especially vulnerable children.
Can you really put a price on even ONE life?
Can't a gym or cafeteria be constructed safely to serve a daily usage too.
Maybe let the town folk rent it for functions or whatever.
Good ideas
Maybe the next Bill Gates, Mozart, Einstein or Benjamin Franklin was crushed.
Devil's advocate here, they could have just as easily been the next Jeffrey Dahmer, BTK, or Ted Bundy.
I pay EXTREME TAXES on crap I don't want and see no value to my country's success or future.
KIDS I do.
If I get crushed when "I'm" working, I made those choices.
Our children don't. We sent them there.
Tragedy's will always happen and yes we all are saddened and even shocked at times. Yes sometimes policy is made based on emotion...frankly ALL policies seemed to be made based on emotion...but sometimes you just have to let your heart or gut help make them.
Our system is one of a majority rule, your choice is to vote.
I would rather keep politics out of this but you may want to talk to the Stoughton, Wi. students first.
They also feel warm and fuzzy today.
Plus we spent 3 BILLION just trying to figure out who should run the state.
Buy's a lot of safe rooms!
Can't argue that, but using your own logic, you going to decide who gets them.
Please this is NOT knocking Bryce's thoughts AT ALL!
Somethings may be more important than cost sometimes is my only thoughts.
Just my thoughts to some of your responces, def. not trying to discredit your ideas, only sharing mine.
Old 05-23-13, 10:25 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
To soon to make jokes I know, but it had to be said.
Name:  thCARE197J.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  9.6 KB

Here in S. Carolina Gov Haley (in a stroke of fiscal genious) has issued these inflatable Sumo suits

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 05-23-13 at 10:37 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 10:29 PM   #10
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Attachment 8773

Here in S. Carolina Gov Haley (in a stroke of fiscal genious) has issued these inflatable Sumo suits
Oh my.......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.