Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-09, 01:20 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jointed Swimbaits

I picked up a couple of the H20 jointed swimbaits from Academy, I got a sexy shad and a bluegill. They look super realistic and were only $8 each. I know that some brands can get well in excess of $20. My question is, how many of you guys use the hard plastic jointed swimbaits and have you had much success with them? I'm guessing a fairly slow, steady retrieve is all you need and the bait will do most of the work itself. Any thoughts??

*PICS ADDED BELOW*

Last edited by Jrob78; 12-19-09 at 01:05 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 01:31 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dunno about those ones, but, I've to a 2 BBZ 4" swim baits, and a 7" TT swimbait. Both of them are great, and I've got a few good fish on them too!

I don't see why your H20's won't work!
Old 12-18-09, 01:49 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

I was in our Academy night before last and happened to see those for the first time. They had them in a pack of 6; three were maybe 4", three were I think 6". Each size had one in Sexy Shad, one in Baby Bass, and one in Bluegill. They looked good, and if they're anything like their crankbaits, they should be a good product. Let us know what you think.
Old 12-18-09, 02:25 PM   #4
Jrob78

If they are anything like the crankbaits then they will be a great bait at a great price. Those H20 crankbaits are hard to beat! I picked up the 6 pack of lipless cranks for $9.99 the weekend after Thanksgiving!! I'm going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon and fish the swimbaits a little, I will keep you guys posted.
Old 12-18-09, 03:24 PM   #5
cpbcop
BassFishin.Com Member

Default H2O baits

I bought a few of these baits at Academy. Looked great, reasonable price and actually fished good. The only problem I have with them and Academy is that these baits are made in China and not in the USA. It would be nicer if they were made in the USA. However, I don't blame Academy, they are getting a better deal from the Chinese and so am I. I can live with my guilt.
cpbcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 03:56 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbcop View Post
I bought a few of these baits at Academy. Looked great, reasonable price and actually fished good. The only problem I have with them and Academy is that these baits are made in China and not in the USA. It would be nicer if they were made in the USA. However, I don't blame Academy, they are getting a better deal from the Chinese and so am I. I can live with my guilt.
Im sure the China models swim just as good as the US models that are made by Chinese people.

Do these float at all?
Old 12-18-09, 04:14 PM   #7
3dkicker

Played with the Sebile Magic Swimmers over the summer. Did ok on the larger one but busted them up one day on the smaller. Once they get caught on grass I found the action to be ruined and hadd to crank it in and pull the grass off. Couldn't snap the rod and get it to come off like I can with a RC crankbait.
Old 12-18-09, 06:00 PM   #8
cassidyta

The only issues that I have found with the cheaper jointed swim baits are their durability. I have owned some of the lower end and they swim great in the begining, but lose a lot of action after a few fish.
That being said I think they are a great way to decide if you want to get into the bigger swimbait world. No sense going out and spending $60 on a lure that you may not even fish much.

3D is correct that most of those style baits do not release weeds that well.

On the where they are made debate, just don't lick the lead paint and you are fine.
Old 12-18-09, 06:04 PM   #9
Jrob78

I imagine about 97.5433% of the stuff we fish with is made elsewhere. Just the way it is these days. Even the stuff that is "made in the USA" is probably more likely assembled in the USA, the components are made somewhere else. The Chinese make some damn fine fishing gear!
Old 12-18-09, 06:28 PM   #10
WTL

I found some used Spro BBZs on ebay for under $10 not long ago. I dont think fish care much if they paint is nicked near the hooks. A lot of people try swimbaits once, dont get them, then unload them on ebay.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 06:31 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I bought a "Sexy Swimmer" at the local Gander. Man, I hope I just got a bad one. It is a hunk of crap. It seems that the speed tolerance at which this thing will swim without binding and rolling over is about +/-0.0001 mph. I curse the day I bought it. If I buy any more swimbaits, they're gonna be the (reasonably) expensive ones.
Old 12-18-09, 09:11 PM   #12
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I found some used Spro BBZs on ebay for under $10 not long ago. I dont think fish care much if they paint is nicked near the hooks. A lot of people try swimbaits once, dont get them, then unload them on ebay.
True. Along with Ebay, the Bass Resource classifieds usually have a few people dumping swimbaits. Most are rainbow trout colored though.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 12:02 AM   #13
Jrob78

Here are the baits in question.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-09, 01:45 AM   #14
cassidyta

They look nice, but I can not speak to how they will swim. I hope they work well for you.
Old 12-19-09, 01:16 PM   #15
3dkicker

Photo this summer of the larger Sebile swim bait. Didn't catch large fish but most were quality with this size. Some little guys thought they could handle the bait too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	090708_130702.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	4553  
Old 12-19-09, 07:31 PM   #16
Bob Smith

A friend of mine down here in Georgia makes a very special swimbait. I don't own any and probably ain't likely to buying one any time soon ($50 to $80). I do know some folks who own these and catch pigs on them. My buddy also guides on Lake Allatoona and has a number of hawgs to his credit using these baits.
http://www.bullshad.com/
Old 12-19-09, 08:57 PM   #17
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The only hard swim baits that I have tried are the sebile sexy swimmer and the bbz 4" shad, but I have been getting into soft swim baits a lot more lately. As to retrieve that is gunna be something for the fish to decide. I have had luck on soft and hard baits with a swim jerk swim, burn/kill(my favorite with soft type), low and slow, waking slow, swim twitch twitch, you name it, it just depends on whether the fish are actively feeding, biting on a reaction strike, or super lethargic. Keep at it and you should get results.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 09:02 AM   #18
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That bluegill looks like a winner. I'll have to try that.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 03:09 PM   #19
Jrob78

I got out and fished both baits yesterday afternoon. They both seemed to have a really enticing action. They ran true at slow speeds and at a stop, start, more irregular retrieve. While they aren't floating baits I did have to make sure to give them time to sink to keep them very deep. All in all for $8 I think they are good buy. Time will tell how long they hold up though, I didn't get any bites yesterday.
Old 12-20-09, 08:46 PM   #20
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
A friend of mine down here in Georgia makes a very special swimbait. I don't own any and probably ain't likely to buying one any time soon ($50 to $80). I do know some folks who own these and catch pigs on them. My buddy also guides on Lake Allatoona and has a number of hawgs to his credit using these baits.
http://www.bullshad.com/
Wow , those are some nice looking baits. I would be scared id hang one up and have to break it off...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 10:51 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Bob...I have to agree with Clint on those Bull Shad swimmers. I might have to look into a couple (but not buy haha). Still, very lifelike.

Also, man, I about laughed my arse off when the guy in the other video tossed his pliers in the lake.
Old 12-20-09, 11:43 PM   #22
CMorg

I agree that was funny. I would say he likes to chase the schooling fish ??
And whats with the guy and the popper in the beginning ? I would be pi$$ed if someone was fishing that close to me.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 03:57 PM   #23
Acm4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

I like jointed swimbaits in a couple varieties. The Strike King/ ABT lures makes a Wake SHAD/ King SHAd lure. The King SHAd version swimabout 2-3' down, which is cool...some off our heavier weeded lakes are like that where you can't get anything deeper, but with this I could skim the top of the weeds.

Also The Rapala type stuff and thunderstick...have worked for Striper.
Acm4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 12:58 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

I got a healthy pack of the H20 swimbaits....I fished the sexy shad pattern yesterday and really liked the action on it..It seemed very natural,and reacted well to different retrieves.
Just need to see how it handles after a few bass battles..But for the $,they seem great!
Old 12-28-09, 05:12 PM   #25
bassinbob

Nofear I think you got a bad one. I used one and it performed fine. I might just have to save some pennies and get one of them Bull-Shads. It might be the one and only lure I'd spend that much for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.