Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-10, 12:16 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Preferred rod action for hard jerkbaits.

What's in your opinion the best action/power for a jerkbait rod? and casting or spinning? I've heard some people say MH because M don't have enough backbone, and then I've heard the opposite from people how like a M rod.

The main main jerkbaits are probably gonna be LC pointers if that helps.

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-16-10 at 12:44 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 12:38 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you wanting power or action...Cause I think you got em mixed up Sammy.
I prefer mod-fast action on jerkbaits...Power depends on depth for me, Currently I use MH power rod which I feel is too much for the depths I fish which is 0-12ft roughly...I currently have a 7' med/ mod-fast blank that will take over the jerkbait/shallow crank fishing for me once its done.
I feel the mod fast serves my jerkbait technique better for the way I fish them, and will absorb the strike better than a fast action rod,but still respond better than a moderate action....Just my prefence.
Old 12-16-10, 01:16 PM   #3
Jrob78

I use a Med. X-Fast for shallow jerkbaits. It is a light med though. I feel as though the xf action allows me to impart the proper action to the bait and the lightly powered rod still has enough give to play fish with treble hooks.

I have been using a MH F for deep jerkbaits. I use the same rods that I would use for treble hooked top water baits.
Old 12-16-10, 01:35 PM   #4
Tavery5

I fish em like Waffle, Moderate Fast action, and then depending how deep I will fish either a M or MH power.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 01:57 PM   #5
MIbasser

get this and you won't have to worry about anything else. It also works well as a topwater rod. Paired with a Revo STX and it's a great combo. However it may have a Shimano Curado 50E on it next year....

http://falconrods.com/index.php/rods...on/cara-1.html

I also have a Mojo 6'6" topwater/jerkbait rod that I could sell you for $45 +shipping....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 03:25 PM   #6
rrw4258

I use a 7' M Mod-Fast for all of my jerkbaits including LC pointers, DD and XD pointers, bevy shad, and staycee's...

Ryan
Old 12-17-10, 10:41 AM   #7
Bender

I used a 7' Medium Fast casting rod for a couple of years but now my main rod is a 6'6" Medium XF Shimano Crucial. It is a very light rod (weight and power wise) with a short handle. I use braid on it so that the lure really snaps around when you hit it. The rod is flimsy enough that it doesn't pull the hooks out though. This rod is a little light for the deep divers though.

Also I use a custom made MH (unknown tip) rod with a very short handle. On that one I use 10# fluoro line so there is some stretch. I also have a Loomis Bronzeback "jerkbait" rod. It is 6'3" but it seems too light for Pointers and it is a better topwater rod. I just got it though and might give it a try.

Then also I use a 7'M spinning rod for some of the lighter baits. I know a good number of people like to use spinning rods for jerkbaits so I think it just comes down to personal preference but I do prefer shorter rods since they seem to be easier for me to jerk.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 10:47 AM   #8
Texan4Liberty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Texan4Liberty

6'6" MH rod with 10# mono line on a baitcasting reel.
Texan4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 03:22 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
get this and you won't have to worry about anything else. It also works well as a topwater rod. Paired with a Revo STX and it's a great combo. However it may have a Shimano Curado 50E on it next year....

http://falconrods.com/index.php/rods...on/cara-1.html

I also have a Mojo 6'6" topwater/jerkbait rod that I could sell you for $45 +shipping....
I accaully wasn't looking to by another rod, but man at that price that's really tempting! I'll think about it, I'm not sure if I'll have enough money after I fix my casting reel. And get a few other things that need getting!
Old 12-17-10, 07:12 PM   #10
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Medium Fast 6'6"
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 07:19 PM   #11
keithdog

I prefer a 6'6" - 7' medium power with a MF action. I'm throwing the 6'6" in there because I like that for the floating jerkbaits worked close to the surface whereas I like the 7' rod for suspending and deeper diving versions.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 04:01 PM   #12
Garry2rs

Pointers come is several sizes.
If you use a 78 you might want a softer rod than for a 128.
If you are using braid you can use a softer rod that for stretchier Mono and Fluoro.
Line weight will effect things too. I once tried to fish a Husky Jerk with a 50# mono leader for big Pike. The buoyancy of the heavy line killed the jerk-baits action.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 10:56 AM   #13
DVT Mike

Mod-Fast/Med is my dedicated hard jerk-bait rod. If I'll be fishing deeper or over heavy weeds, I'll go with a MH power.
Old 12-21-10, 01:41 AM   #14
Rebbasser

I use a 6-5 MF action Falcon Cara Jerkbait Rod. If it has treble hooks it gets fished on a M action rod with the exception of a big bruiser like a DD-22. Those I fish on a MH action. Fishing a bait with treble hooks on a more limber rod helps to keep from pulling the hooks out of the fish's mouth.
Old 01-10-11, 07:55 PM   #15
fiker
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 6'8" medium fast St. Croix Avid. I've used it with braid, and fluoro, for both deeper jerks, and shallower ones. I get pretty good action with either line, and with both types of jerks.
fiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.