Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-12, 09:30 PM   #1
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best Fishing Rod and Reel

I am looking into buying a new rod and reel for this season, and I'm looking for a 6' 6"-6'9", Medium-Medium Heavy, Moderate-Moderate Fast spinning rod. If money is not a problem, what is you're alls opinions on the best rod and spinning reel that I could buy. I am looking at the Element 21 Carrot Stix Professional Grade, or a Skeet Reese. I'd just like to know what ya'll think is the best out there and why...thanks guys!!!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 11:22 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

there is no "BEST" COMBO my friend. reason being there are so many variations of combos for different lures now a days. so see......no single answer to your question.

the best advise i can give oyu is to try out all the combos there are and find what fits OYU the best. after all, YOU are gonna be using it.
Old 02-20-12, 11:39 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This would make for a good setup,

at only $1200 dollars you will need a premium line.
Old 02-21-12, 12:56 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Carrot Stick is the only rod I know of that offers a moderate or mod/fast action in a spinning rod. There may be others but all the brands I'm familiar with built their spinning rods on fast or X-fast actions, in power of medium or above. I'm not a fan of the orange rods, but if that's what you want, go for it. My reel of choice would be a Pflueger Patriarch, which would probably look good on a carrot.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 08:17 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	nbbnbnbnnbnb.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	7636
--------------------------------------------------
Old 02-21-12, 08:45 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Nice try Ken, but he's talking SPINNIG reel.

bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 09:06 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
This would make for a good setup,

at only $1200 dollars you will need a premium line.

I'd save some money and get a Steez:

Then spend the rest on a Nelson Custom Rod. If we're going with production rods, I'd wait for the newly announced Dobyns Zayta.

To the OP: It's obvious that you aren't looking in the same class of rods that many of us would "if money is not a problem." If you let us know what you're budget is and what you're planning to do with the rod, we could help recommend some rods that would work well for you.

There are quite a few brand of rods I'd take over either of those you listed. Dobyns, Powell, Falcon, Abu Garcia, Daiwa, St. Croix, G.Loomis.

Dobyns rods are my first choice, and I'd take a look at the Savvy Series of rods. They are a little more expensive than the Skeet rods, but the build quality is so much better. I haven't fished with either, but I would be willing to bet the Savvy Series has better performance.

BB
Old 02-22-12, 08:06 PM   #8
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd save some money and get a Steez:

Then spend the rest on a Nelson Custom Rod. If we're going with production rods, I'd wait for the newly announced Dobyns Zayta.

To the OP: It's obvious that you aren't looking in the same class of rods that many of us would "if money is not a problem." If you let us know what you're budget is and what you're planning to do with the rod, we could help recommend some rods that would work well for you.

There are quite a few brand of rods I'd take over either of those you listed. Dobyns, Powell, Falcon, Abu Garcia, Daiwa, St. Croix, G.Loomis.

Dobyns rods are my first choice, and I'd take a look at the Savvy Series of rods. They are a little more expensive than the Skeet rods, but the build quality is so much better. I haven't fished with either, but I would be willing to bet the Savvy Series has better performance.

BB
No, I am in the same class of rods as most of ya'll, I just wasn't fully aware that you could get SO expensive!!! I'm looking at around a $500 budget for the rod and the reel. I like the reel that you posted, what is it exactly? And as far as the Dobyns rods go, I really do like the look of them and they seem like a high quality rod. The thing I don't really care for is the fast action. Is there an advantage to having the faster action?
Old 02-22-12, 08:20 PM   #9
BigBassin144

That reel is a Daiwa Steez spinning reel. The top of the line model for Daiwa. They retail for about $600 The next step down, the Fuego, is on sale at Tackle Warehouse right now for around $165.

Most bass fishermen will use a Fast or Extra Fast action for almost everything. The big exception is crankbaits, where a Moderate or MF action is preferable. Less of the rod flexes with a fast action rod. In appropriately powered rods, this will help in hook setting. The Dobyns are great rods, but if you're set on a M or MF action spinning rod, you should probably look elsewhere.

What do you plan on using the rod for? This would help us figure out if a M or MF would be preferred to a F or XF (although I'm not a big fan of XF rods myself).

BB
Old 02-22-12, 08:23 PM   #10
Tavery5

Fuego is now on sale for $123, if you need a spinning reel, that is one heck of a deal.
Old 02-22-12, 08:38 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Fuego is now on sale for $123, if you need a spinning reel, that is one heck of a deal.
Thanks Tony! I've been dragging my feet on ordering a 2000 since I sold my Caldia 2000. I guess I missed out on that one. Anyways, I've got a couple 1500 sized reels on their way. I woulda missed all the good ones if you hadn't said anything.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 02-22-12 at 08:46 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 09:10 PM   #12
Tavery5

Glad you were able to take advantage of the sale, think it started today, and would not think that those reels will last long once the word gets out.

Congrats on a couple of nice reels!
Old 02-22-12, 11:17 PM   #13
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
That reel is a Daiwa Steez spinning reel. The top of the line model for Daiwa. They retail for about $600 The next step down, the Fuego, is on sale at Tackle Warehouse right now for around $165.

Most bass fishermen will use a Fast or Extra Fast action for almost everything. The big exception is crankbaits, where a Moderate or MF action is preferable. Less of the rod flexes with a fast action rod. In appropriately powered rods, this will help in hook setting. The Dobyns are great rods, but if you're set on a M or MF action spinning rod, you should probably look elsewhere.

What do you plan on using the rod for? This would help us figure out if a M or MF would be preferred to a F or XF (although I'm not a big fan of XF rods myself).

BB
Well, I would like to use it for sort of an "all purpose" rod if that's possible. Right now, I'm using an Ugly Stick with a decent reel I had laying around. But now that I've been bass fishing pretty seriously for a year or so, I would like to upgrade, and I figured if I was gonna upgrade, just do it right the first time! I like crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and I'll use finesse techniques if I need to.

I bought an Abu Garcia Vengeance baitcasting rod in July 2011, and put an Abu Garcia Silver Max on it with 20lb Spiderwire. I had never fished with a baitcaster before, and I figured this would be a good setup to start out on. I quickly realized how much I didn't like using the baitcaster, so now I'm looking for a real good spinning rod and reel setup.
Old 02-22-12, 11:36 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bassmaster29 View Post
I quickly realized how much I didn't like using the baitcaster, so now I'm looking for a real good spinning rod and reel setup.
Best advice I or anyone here could give you is not to give up on baitcasters. All skills are learned, whatever they are. You are probably very skilled at something and whatever that may be you were not born that way. I love spinning gear and have a bunch of it, but if you don't master baitcasting you will find yourself fishing with one hand tied behind your back.
Old 02-22-12, 11:47 PM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Best advice I or anyone here could give you is not to give up on baitcasters. All skills are learned, whatever they are. You are probably very skilled at something and whatever that may be you were not born that way. I love spinning gear and have a bunch of it, but if you don't master baitcasting you will find yourself fishing with one hand tied behind your back.
Agree 1000%. You can do a lot with the right spinning gear but you are severely limiting yourself if you don't learn to use baitcasters. A big reason for that isn't that spinning reels are limiting, it's that spinning rods are.
Old 02-22-12, 11:47 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Spend a little less on your spinning combo. Pick up a Fuego from Tackle Warehouse and a Dobyns Savvy SS693SF or SS703SF for around $300 total. A 6'9"-7' Medium, Fast spinning rod is good for an all around spinning rod.

Then take that Silver Max to BPS and trade it in during their spring classic for money off a Pro Qualifier casting reel. Finally, stick with it. Baitcasters are an invaluable tool to bass fishermen. Spinning rods are good for some things, but most will tell you if they can cast it on a baitcaster, they will. It is worth giving another try, and a better reel will make it easier for you to learn. I think the BPS PQ reel is good for beginners. Also, make sure you know how to get the settings right on a casting reels as that's half the battle.

BB
Old 02-23-12, 01:54 PM   #17
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Alright, I like that combo! Would you recommend the Dobyns Savvy Micro Guide over the regular Savvy? It has one extra guide too. They're both the same as far as price goes.

I haven't given up completely on the baitcaster, but I got frustrated with it and quit for awhile! I have the brake set to where I can cast it pretty consistently without it birdnesting, but I cant get it out more than probably 15 yards or so using a pretty heavy Rapala. If I could get the same distance out of it as I can with my casting reels I wouldn't mind it quite as much

If I do end up going with the Dobyns Savvy and Daiwa Fuego Combo, what line would you recommend? I've always liked braid, just because of how strong it is, but I'm open to others If you have one you'd recommend.

And I really appreciate all the help!
Old 02-23-12, 03:23 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Either one will work. It really depends on what you prefer. The only advantage is going to be weight reduction for balance, but Dobyns balances their rods anyways, so they should be very similar. Some say micro guides give a rod a slightly faster action.

As far as casting reels go, I wrote an article on how to properly set them up. I'll post the link when I get home.

I like braid on a spinning reel; usually 10lb test. As long as you're not fishing topwaters a lot, Sufix 832 Braid would be my recommendation. I'm running the 10lb test on my Daiwa Certate 2000 and love it.

Oh, and if you're getting that Fuego, you should order it soon (probably the 1500 sized) before TW sells out of them. I might actually order another one today.

BB
Old 02-23-12, 11:42 PM   #19
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Alright, Since I don't really want any faster action, I'll probably just stick with the regular one.

That link would be much appreciated! I'd really like to learn to use a baitcaster and like it

I'm using the Suffix 832 braid right now on my current spinning setup that I use for everything for now, but I really like it for finesse fishing, so I'm using the 40lb test to be able to fish it in the weeds and heavier cover.
Old 02-24-12, 12:02 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Here you go. http://basschat.yuku.com/topic/8/How...l#.T0cLd_EgfdI

If you're fishing 40lb braid on a spinning setup, a baitcaster would be a big advantage. Good luck with the baitcaster though!

BB
Old 02-24-12, 12:20 PM   #21
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

I appreciate it, and thank you for all you're help!!!
Old 02-24-12, 01:57 PM   #22
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Have you seen the new Abu Garcia Villain 6' 9" spinning rod?
Old 02-24-12, 05:21 PM   #23
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

havent tried the vilain yet but ive heard that they feel1 power heavier then their actual ratings, like a medium feels like a med heavy. plus i've handled other abu's like the veritas & vendettas and wasnt too crazy on how they feel. they have good reviews though & probably one of the best value for the buck rods.

and dont give up on baitcasters. ive been using bc for almost 2 seasons now & wouldnt look back to spinning gear
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 05:56 PM   #24
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ya when I first got a baitcaster I didnt care for it to much until I really got the hang of it. It takes a bit to get used to but once you do you'll love it.

Plus you might've had a bad experience because of that specific reel you have, its alot easier to learn on a nicer reel.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-12, 12:36 AM   #25
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I'm sure it'd be easier to learn with a higher quality reel, but I don't really have the money to just spend on a reel that I still might not even like! So, I'm not exactly sure what to do...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.