Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-09-08, 09:04 PM   #1
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default engine stabilizer fin?? help laser or zook

ok heres the deal. just got my biggest fastest boat ever. it's a 18.5 G3 aluminum. rated for and pushed by a 115 yamaha. with a full gas tank, 3 batteries, and the weight of the onboard chargers all thrown in my butt feels pretty low in the water. will this help get the *** end up better? or are they not even worth it.

don't make the next post about the prop...as i sit here and type this i do not know the pitch, yet. it does have a stainless though.
Attached Images

lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 07:29 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LOL. Ok here's my deal with the doel fins or stabilizers or whatever they call em . They are a BANDAID. There designed to fix something and they do.......dont get me wrong. But they are covering up the real problem. The motor is not setup correctly...............needs to be brought up on transom maybe or different prop............you get the picture.
Old 05-10-08, 10:40 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

do NOT buy them as laser stated it is duct tape fix for a proper -more exspensive- fix..

the right prop is the proper fix.. oh yeah my old friend bc barely hits 50 in his lowes with a 115 on it..

zooker
Old 05-10-08, 01:13 PM   #4
1FASTLASER

Loweider

That boat if its the one I think it is will run fairly well with some wrench turning. I know of a acouple that will run low 60's. Mind you you gotta spend a little money to get em there. Proper engine height and prop are the FIRST and FOREMOST things to acheive. Most people are happy after there rig is properly setup unless your like me..........I amconstantly trying to set the water on fire and wont be happy till I break 100mph in a bass rig. I've been close.96 GPS is flying on the water and a handful to handle.....the boat hadnt settled down into the "envelope" and I had run outta room.........had to back outta of it.
Old 05-10-08, 02:33 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Lowrider, I just recently purchased a G3 1860 DLX. It has a 115/80 jet. Still hasn't been out of my garage but I am going to try to get it out today if the weather holds up.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 08:04 PM   #6
Bender

I have always heard that they help with staying on plane at low speeds, do they help with that? And even if they do then from what you guys are saying it may cause more harm in other areas than it is worth?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 08:29 PM   #7
zooker

they actually weaken the lower unit with harmonic balance-err vibrations cause by flow of water- they can loosen and break the cavation plate-which is what they bolt too-
i have seen cav plates busted by using one..

zooker
Old 05-11-08, 08:36 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Bender,
Yes in fact they are bad in all actuality. Like I stated and zook confirmed they are a bandaid or duct tape fix for a improperly setup boat. And as he stated again the stress that is put on those motors that have them are actually unreal. There are 2 of them out there that are designed and thought carefully enough that they will do the job correctly without any harm to the motor. One is called a B-Foil and is made by a man on another board. The other is made by Allsison and is called an Ally Foil. They are small compared to the other ones that folks by. The B and Alley foils are designed with the going slower and staying on plane idea. The just barely widen the Caviation plate of the motor. Trust me there actually is a load od distance.
Old 05-11-08, 12:24 PM   #9
Bender

Brian's foil is the one I was thinking about getting, is that the "B's" you are talking about? I fish a lake a lot that has a 10 MPH speed limit and while I doubt it will get me on plane that slow I don't think that they will complain if I run 12-15 when there is not much boat traffic out there. Right now I have to stay about 20 so that is why I was considering it. Thoughts?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 12:42 PM   #10
zooker

bender if you buy look at these first..designed by b-man made of carbon fiber stronger and lighter..and about 1/2 the size your looking at..

$150 shipped btw..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 05-11-08 at 12:49 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 12:49 PM   #11
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

this is why i asked before i did anything. laser it for sure looks like we need to hook up at monticello. that way you can see for sure what i need to do. so far on gps i've gotten 46 out of it. too much trim and the front starts to hop but i know more is there

but hey, you know how the sawmill business is around here right now (i'm in logging) money is a big deal. i may just have to run as is for a while.

look at the pics what i went from to where i'm at now...i'm a very happy fisherman. little tweak here and there can be done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 005.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	2193   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 001.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	2195  
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 04:56 PM   #12
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I might be wrong but I am not afraid to throw in my .02 . I run an alison foil and wuith the right prop ...it launches out of the water and on to plane but it is like apples and oranges I think. In my opinion I don't think a boat can plane at 10 mph ,could be wrong but never saw it . I do like the foils for take off but unsure about the effect it has at high speeds am going to remove mine this summer for awhile and see if if is effecting my bow lift at higher speeds. there you have it ,my 2 cents, now I'm broke
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 06:49 PM   #13
zooker

i belive that most foils are out of the water at speeds over 40..not sure i don't run a foil..

zooker
Old 05-11-08, 07:41 PM   #14
bamabassman

had a boat with a foil and now one that don't. if it is set up right i don't think you need one. can't really tell the difference now. and i learned that here. so take it for what it is worth.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:23 AM   #15
zooker

i have run foils on tiller moters afore. most help with the steering fatique

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.