Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-12, 12:11 AM   #26
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
You didn't start an argument, at least not as far as I am concerned. I have just noticed a lot of people asking questions on here lately and getting led astray by either bad advice or people telling them all kinds of stuff that don't apply to their questions. I understand all about pinching pennies, I am a younger guy that just lost his job of 7 years and is 3 months into a new job while building a house and raising a family. While I feel fortunate that money isn't extremely tight, we sure don't have the money to blow that we did 6 months ago so I certainly understand where you are coming from. In fact I wanted a 1197 when they came out and it took me so long to save up the money that the 1198's were out before I had the cash. Then I wanted to buy the 1198 for a few years and finally just pulled the trigger on one a few months ago. They are certainly a huge investment, which is why I want to make sure that you get all the information you need about the graph you are interested in because being disappointed in that purchase would surely suck.

Well what exactly are you wanting the unit to do for you? Are you wanting something along the lines of down imaging/side imaging? I have heard some people say that they use the hell out of side imaging up front because they can see balls of baitfish off to the side of the boat. Other guys say that they don't use it much at all because the picture gets messed up when they turn the trolling motor (which would be my concern). If you think you would use it then I would look at something in the 798 or 898 range. I understand what the guys are saying when they want a bigger screen up front, but to me that is just a bigger target for a jig to hit when I am flipping (and jigs will break those screens). The thing is if you go with a side imaging unit and decide you don't like using the side imaging on the trolling motor you can still use the down imaging, but if you go with a down imaging graph then you can't use side imaging. That is just a decision you will have to make on your own because I can see positives and negatives both ways. Also are you wanting to have GPS up front in addition to the console? I certainly would because even if you don't use it to save waypoints then it would still be very useful for keeping the boat on a break line or point. If you go with a Humminbird GPS unit up front as well then I would make sure that they are interlink compatable so you could have them share waypoints, even if you decided to add it later on. I guess I would be able to give you more advice if you narrowed down your options a little bit, then at least I could tell you what I would do if it were me.
i dont feel like i need gps on the front, i rarely fish lakes big enough to need gps and by having it on the console im covered if i do decide to take another trip to ky lake or something like that. ive never fished off a boat with good electronics so i guess maybe that would b the first step in making my decision? i cant afford both at the same time anyway so ill probably just go with a 998 on the console and decide if thats what i want for the front as well
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 12:34 AM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
i dont feel like i need gps on the front, i rarely fish lakes big enough to need gps and by having it on the console im covered if i do decide to take another trip to ky lake or something like that. ive never fished off a boat with good electronics so i guess maybe that would b the first step in making my decision? i cant afford both at the same time anyway so ill probably just go with a 998 on the console and decide if thats what i want for the front as well
That's a really good idea. Fishing with the 998 at the console will give you an idea of how much or how little you feel that you need GPS up front.

I think it's worth mentioning that if you don't know exactly what you are doing when it comes to installing the side imaging unit I would take it to a dealership that does. Reason being, transducer placement is very critical with these transducers. If they are put in a spot where they don't get an unobstructed view to both sides then the side imaging won't work right, if at all.
Old 06-12-12, 12:43 AM   #28
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That's a really good idea. Fishing with the 998 at the console will give you an idea of how much or how little you feel that you need GPS up front.

I think it's worth mentioning that if you don't know exactly what you are doing when it comes to installing the side imaging unit I would take it to a dealership that does. Reason being, transducer placement is very critical with these transducers. If they are put in a spot where they don't get an unobstructed view to both sides then the side imaging won't work right, if at all.
thanks for the help, i appreciate it
Old 06-12-12, 08:27 PM   #29
oglejust

went to bass pro today and looked at the 998si, talked to the salesman and ive never wanted one more than i do now. it was definetely a good idea goin and playin on one and seeing the simulator. now comin up with an extra 2k

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.