Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-24-08, 10:52 PM   #1
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint
Default Barge Wakes

Does anyone have any tips for handling barge wakes? I'm going to be in a 17 ft mod v w/ a 60 hp johnson on a river that gets some periodic barge traffic and want to make sure I'm prepared. Any information about how to handle barge wakes in that boat would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 11:10 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You will be ok. I have fished the tennessee for years in a 13' mod V and there are many, many barges on that river. I actually think the large yachts are more problematic and produce larger or at least comparable wakes. The same rules apply as for all wakes, its better to take a hit from a wake in the bow than the stern, don't get too close, ect.
Old 04-24-08, 11:42 PM   #3
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

I've been trying to find some information about how to handle them and havent really found much other than dont get too close to the vessel and dont be too close to the shore because the breaking waves can be an issue.
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 12:39 AM   #4
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Barge Wakes
Does anyone have any tips for handling barge wakes? I'm going to be in a 17 ft mod v w/ a 60 hp johnson on a river that gets some periodic barge traffic and want to make sure I'm prepared. Any information about how to handle barge wakes in that boat would be appreciated!....you will be ok,just look at wake's the same as evey other hurdle in life....take them head on ,,controll your throttle,,and do the best as you can,,in other words ...use the force Luke,until you been though it ,,you just won't know,,the rest of us do okay,and so will you,wear your life jacket and kill switch,,good luck
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 04:27 AM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was just reading about these on a local board last night. There was a barge throwing an over 5 foot wake followed by rollers the same size that beat the heck out of a lot on boat on the Saint Clair river last Friday. Everybody was complaining about it but there were no tips. I think I will nose into them and hold on at idle speed, but a wall of water like that is scary.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 07:25 AM   #6
WTL

Well theres no secret if thats what your looking for. Barges are easy to deal with, you can see them coming, just be ready. Thats about it nonpoint.
Old 04-26-08, 11:08 PM   #7
flbassman

Hit the wake straight on, be prepared, and secure stuff on the deck....You'll be alright...
Old 04-27-08, 07:54 AM   #8
JB

fl has the right idea....we fish the ohio and giant barges go through hourly, plus with paddle boats, can throw a hug set of waves, hit them straight on.
your boat will be air born for a few seconds, just make sure everything is secured, and you must have on life jackets .
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:30 AM   #9
3dkicker

Head on isn't the best way to take them on unless you want to get beat up and damage your boat and equipment. Small wakes ok but large ones. NO!! Angle the large ones at 45 degrees. Throttle up to go over and then back off once you crest them. We've got the "Spirit of Washington" which puts out 4-6' wakes on the river. The closer you are to the back of boat the fewer you need to crest. This may not work with a very large vessel like a tanker which you find on the Hudson or James Rivers.
The other option is to run parallel with them and then slide across. You can run in the trough for a while and then ease over the next one.
Try these on smaller ones and then work up. It does take practice.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 04-27-08 at 08:38 AM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 03:03 PM   #10
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

3dkicker has it ,A 45 degree angle and not to close to the vessel
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 11:14 AM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

The Deep V will cut some of the wake when your nose is heading in to the wake. But you need the nose at the very angle of the direction of the water is comming From. When aproaching a barge head on Power down the out outboard. Ride the wake. Once the wake hits throttle up and way from the barge.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.