Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-28-08, 07:38 PM   #1
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default PowerPro Question

To you guys that use Powerpro for spinning reals for senko's or drop shotting, what pound test are you using? Currently I have all my spinning rods with 8lb BPS Fluorocarbon but would like to switch it up. Thanks!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 07:55 PM   #2
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
To you guys that use Powerpro for spinning reals for senko's or drop shotting, what pound test are you using? Currently I have all my spinning rods with 8lb BPS Fluorocarbon but would like to switch it up. Thanks!
I have three spinning reels with 15# Power Pro on them. I'm probably doing 75% of my fishing with these reels. I'm not a technique-specific guy, so these are all-purpose which are used for all applications that I do. I'm pleased, but what works for me may not be right for others.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:13 PM   #3
Jim80

MI I had always used 30# for all braid applications nut have found myself switching back to mono and starting to use fluorocarbon , since i have started switching I have been catching more fish hands down . I still keep one reel loaded with 30# power pro for the nasty stuff.
Old 08-28-08, 08:34 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For a spinning reel and 'finesse' techniques like that, I'd go with 10lb and a 6-8lb fluoro leader.

BB
Old 08-28-08, 11:17 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

I took Lancer's advice and spooled my spinning rod with 20# braid with 5' to 6' fluoro leader for weightless plastics. I use 8 lb cajun red mono for my 2 piece ugly spinning rod that goes in the car for the spontaneous moments. I use 10# braid in my baitcaster to throw my topwater baits and spinners.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:17 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I took Lancer's advice and spooled my spinning rod with 20# braid with 5' to 6' fluoro leader for weightless plastics. I use 8 lb cajun red mono for my 2 piece ugly spinning rod that goes in the car for the spontaneous moments. I use 10# braid in my baitcaster to throw my topwater baits and spinners.
FnG,
I hope you're happy with the results. However, the #10 braid causes me a little concern. While I'm not concerned too much with it's potential visiblilty when fishin' stop 'n go TWs...the low diameter and resistance to sinking offset any such concerns...I DO have some reservations re using #10 on spinnerbaits, especially those over, say, 3/8th oz in weight. I worry about the potential for "Snap Off" on a particularly lusty cast.
Might I suggest that you go to #20, at least, for spinnerbaits, buZZZZZZbaits, toads, etc.? In fact, I use #30 for those applications...no leader, since the lure is usually in constant motion.
Sometimes, we find our line in contact with abrasive surfaces when probing brush, rocks, etc., and and, whereas a higher-test braid might shrug off a broken strand or two, #10 is far more at risk.
Spinning reels lend themselves VERY well to use with high-quality braids, in that kinking just doesn't occur and coiling is non-issue. Plus, the rare rat's nest at about the third guide can be more easily cleared with no damage to the braid.
Good luck and be safe.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 06:53 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

FnG, just becareful about that moni in your car. The extreme heat it is exposed to in the car could cause it to weaken, because mono's like that. I'd change the line often.

BB
Old 08-29-08, 10:48 AM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
FnG, just becareful about that moni in your car. The extreme heat it is exposed to in the car could cause it to weaken, because mono's like that. I'd change the line often.

BB
I didn't think about that. I may switch to braid for that setup.
Old 08-29-08, 10:51 AM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
FnG,
I hope you're happy with the results. However, the #10 braid causes me a little concern. While I'm not concerned too much with it's potential visiblilty when fishin' stop 'n go TWs...the low diameter and resistance to sinking offset any such concerns...I DO have some reservations re using #10 on spinnerbaits, especially those over, say, 3/8th oz in weight. I worry about the potential for "Snap Off" on a particularly lusty cast.
Might I suggest that you go to #20, at least, for spinnerbaits, buZZZZZZbaits, toads, etc.? In fact, I use #30 for those applications...no leader, since the lure is usually in constant motion.
Sometimes, we find our line in contact with abrasive surfaces when probing brush, rocks, etc., and and, whereas a higher-test braid might shrug off a broken strand or two, #10 is far more at risk.
Spinning reels lend themselves VERY well to use with high-quality braids, in that kinking just doesn't occur and coiling is non-issue. Plus, the rare rat's nest at about the third guide can be more easily cleared with no damage to the braid.
Good luck and be safe.

Lancer6
I chose the 10# braid for the baitcaster because I was having difficulty with birdnesting using 20#. But that was before Robbie walked me through setting up my baitcaster. I want to use at least 20# braid on all my setups. I may just give it another whirl with the baitcaster since I know what I am doing with it now.
Old 09-02-08, 09:38 AM   #10
Bob Smith

I use 15# or 20# on my spinning reels.
Old 09-05-08, 04:35 PM   #11
MIbasser

Thanks guys. I just ordered 300 yards of 20# in the high-vis yellow. I'll let you know how it works....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 04:48 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Make sure you use a leader with that hivis yellow. I have thrown out Suffix hivis orange without a leader (just for fun) and I saw the fish actually laughing at the stuff. I threw on a 5' fluoro leader and got the last laugh.
Old 09-15-08, 12:17 PM   #13
Rodman_Rob

I prefer PP 20lbs test on my spinning reels. I've used the 10lbs and found it to be too light. didn't like the way the 10 lbs test casted. I'm not sure what it was about it, but I just didn't feel like I had the accuracy for some reason. I tried 30 lbs test and it reduced casting distance compared to the 20lbs. I've decided to stick with 20lbs test and its worked well for me. its held up just fine to the timber and slop at rodman. I've pulled up 3 10lbs bass with PP 20 and each time felt confident in it. even a 10-12 foot gator couldn't break the 20lbs test.......course he did tear up my spro frog a little. I like how you can reverse the line when you need to respool. since the bottom level of your line is rarely exposed, you can just pull the line off, retie the line with the other end and respool. makes costly line more affordable.
Old 09-15-08, 03:20 PM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

I use 8lb mono on my drop shot. Drop Shotting is a finese technique. Lite line is the way to go. Braid can be easily scene. I suggest not using it. I have gone as lite as 6lb. I even scene 4lb used in tournament. I think that's to light. But hey fish see better than they get credit for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.