Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-08, 02:39 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default One Piece VS Two Piece rods

Okay what if any are the benifits of a 1 piece rod versuses a two piece one ? The two piece for me has been easier to transport and store with the limited space i have for some reason i feel more comfortable with a one piece rod . Just kinda looking for opinions on the topic .
Old 08-07-08, 03:41 PM   #2
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1 piece stronger and more sensitive. 2 piece is more easier to store. Buy one piece.Fish2win
Old 08-07-08, 03:51 PM   #3
rodman rat

The first time you hook the hawg of your life, and your 2 piece rod comes apart you will answer your own question.
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 04:15 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree with both of the above answers......one piece is the only way to fly.
Old 08-07-08, 04:19 PM   #5
crankybait

yeah... I've had the top portion of 2 peices fly off on a cast... also break in half with a fish on. Also the eyes don't always line up right. however, the transportation issue is a real problem (my st. croix avid 1 peice fell victim to a window).
Old 08-07-08, 04:37 PM   #6
bassinbob

Go one peice but get a rod tube or something similar to protect them. I learned the hard way-broke the tip off my Kistler.
Old 08-07-08, 06:27 PM   #7
Jim80

Thanks for the input guys one piece it is .
Old 08-07-08, 06:45 PM   #8
JB

1 piece and heres why...the blank that goes through a one piece helps
transport that peck from the rod tip to the blank handle. All my baitcasters
have the underneath exposed to the rod, I always used to hold my hand or fingers there for the feel..
However, after switching to braid, the blank does nt pick up the peck nearly as amplified as the braid does, it really helps me out.
With 2 piece and the metal male end going into the female , I think you loose the peck sensation quite a bit. IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 06:50 PM   #9
Fishnngolfn

I have a two piece Ugly Stick and have it in the car for those spontaneous moments. It is no where near as sensitive as the one piece rods I have. I don't mind so much if I miss a fish because it is when I was not expecting to go fishing anyway. Now if I know I am going fishing or will have a break to go to a pond near work, I will bring a one piece rod with me.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 08:17 AM   #10
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Thanks for the input guys one piece it is .
JimEighty,

I agree that one-piece rods DO offer some advantages, however slight.
Apart from the wide array of multi-piece rods available to fly fishermen and flyladies, choices are a bit limited re brand, length, and action.
However, if you have a "history" of broken or damaged one-piece rods, and your rod storage and transport situation might be to blame, at least in part, then you might better off with a two-piece rod in at least one application.
So far as sensitivity goes, the graphite-to-graphite contact at the joint pretty much alleviates that concern, especially in the better grade rods.
Casting the tip section off is usually the result of failure to assemble the rod properly...'nuff said 'bout dat.
A common aggravation is the stuck joint...Well, that's usually user-error too. Here's how to avoid it: Before joining the two sections rub the male end of the lower section against your nose...That's right; yer little button nose. The oils you secrete in that spot are the perfect preventative against "stuck joint" but still allow a firm joining of the sections. Besides, unless you're casting with nothing at the end of the line, you're not gonna lose an errant tip section, now ARE ya'?
The advances made since the days of metal ferrules make multi-piece rods a safe and well-performing option. The fly crowd pays huge bux for rods of 3, 4, even 5 pieces and they wouldn't do so if those rods weren't OK.

I note your interest in dropshotting, as expressed in a previous post. Well, what are the chances of casting a tip section off in that application? Nil, I'd say. I'll say this, too; There is no hard and fast rule here. Buy and enjoy what best does the job with the least risk of expensive damages.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 11:51 AM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

They both serve there purpose. But i think a 2 piece is better served in travel. Or issue's of not much storage space. I have both.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 01:18 PM   #12
Raul

I have both, several good quality 2 piece rods, nah, they don´t break when hookin a hawg ( caught several 8-11 pounders with two piece rods ), sensitivity ? well if you purchase El Cheapo that´s what you´ll get, El Cheapo sensitivity, good quality two piece rods are as sensitive as one piece good quality rods.

Modern day two piece rods have friction joints which allow intimate contact between both pieces maintaining the sensitivity while avoiding the two pieces coming apart ( which was common issue with older rods ), the only catch is not joining both pieces with too much strenght ( you can crack the tip piece or you join both pieces for good ).
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:14 PM   #13
Snake2715

I always feel the line for sensitivity.. some of the stuff I feel, especialy with braid, I woul dnever feel with my rods... I dont have the rods some of you run, but I can everything with a finger or thumb lightly on the line.
Old 08-09-08, 04:29 AM   #14
cassidyta

The majority of my rods are two piece. I actually prefer my one piece set ups for all the reasons listed, but my job puts me on a plane at least three times a month. (good think I can write the fishing licenses off on my expense reports) For the travel aspects alone, I go two piece. If the top is flying off, then I would suggest that your rod should be replaced. Mine take a beating from bagage handling. I always tie 65 lbs braid between the nearest eyelets to the joint. Not through the part where the line runs, but where it connects to the rod. Additionally, I carry a small can of football "Stickum" in my tackle bag. The stuff is pretty good and will wash off with warm water. The braid will hold them together, but the sitckum keeps it lined up. Yes, I have had a two piece break, but I can not afford to buy new rods at every stop.
Old 08-09-08, 12:35 PM   #15
bamabassman

here is another thing i am getting flak from. the little woman is now wanting a one piece rod. lmao. but she will have to wait till christmas. got enough bills right now. heck, probably will get her her FIRST real combo. baitcaster and all. she tried the open face reels, hates em cause they always get twisted with her using em. gonna get her a REAL setup this time. maybe she'll go pro and i'll get to quit working? lets hope so.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 01:41 PM   #16
cassidyta

Good luck with the suger momma thing.
Old 08-09-08, 01:43 PM   #17
bamabassman

Lol, thanks! Lmao!!!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 05:31 PM   #18
Bmuskin

just my opinion.....On a spinning rod outfit a 2 piece is acceptable but after using some ones and some 2's I would go with a short 1 piece instead of a 2. My Ugly stick flies apart about every 20th cast. Also I can feel the bottom so much better with a 1 piece.

Baitcasting I would not even think about a 2 piece just on the simple basis of levergae alone.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 12:34 PM   #19
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
just my opinion.....On a spinning rod outfit a 2 piece is acceptable but after using some ones and some 2's I would go with a short 1 piece instead of a 2. My Ugly stick flies apart about every 20th cast. Also I can feel the bottom so much better with a 1 piece.

Baitcasting I would not even think about a 2 piece just on the simple basis of levergae alone.
That is because you are not purchasing good quality 2 piece rods.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:33 AM   #20
islandbass

Quote:

You have some misconceptions to get over.

Lancer's post is spot on and I concur 100% with his post.

I am curious as to why leverage would be an issue with a quality 2-piece rod.

Here is something else to chew on for thought. With Steelhead and Salmon rods, 2 piece is more the norm and naturally so due to their longer lengths. Short steelhead rods start and 8'6" and go up from there.

Even G Loomis and Lamiglas GLX and IMX steelhead rods come in two pieces and I can tell you they lack nothing in the sensitivity or leverage department.

Also, as Lancer wrote, a two-piece rod put together correctly will not come apart. It just doesn't, at least in my experience. And whatever percieved sensitivty is "lost," if any, is IMHO is essentially neglible in higher quality rods.
Old 08-12-08, 11:34 AM   #21
Bmuskin

True it may be a quality issue.
My experience is with the lower end stuff not the cheapest but certainly not the best. In my experience a budget priced 1 piece is much better than a budget 2 piece. This may not apply to the high end stuff. The 50.00 and under market there seems to be a lot of difference between 2 piece and 1 piece.
Old 08-12-08, 04:34 PM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

A two piece rod is a broken rod.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 05:53 PM   #23
Stinkies Daddy

I have a BnM 12' jig rod. its 2 peice and 1 of the most sensitive rods i have ever held
Old 08-13-08, 07:33 PM   #24
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
just my opinion... ...I would go with a short 1 piece instead of a 2. ...Also I can feel the bottom so much better with a 1 piece.

Going to a "short" spin (or cast) rod simply to avoid using a 2-piece is false medicine at best. For instance, if you wish to skip a softy or easily wing a weightless Senko-type or worm the short rod will probably be a handicap. It almost certainly will be when attempting to dropshot...unless you are icefishing
If your transport or storage setup, to include cramped conditions in a small boat, makes a 2-piece the better choice, then go with a 2-piece. There are plenty out there of good quality and performance. Peruse the Loomis website...you'll see.
"Short" rods, say 5.5 to 6.0 feet, are usually best suited for sidearming spinnerbaits under overhanging cover. If the locale where you fish imposes that need, then by all means use that shortie. Otherwise, combine tactics, technique, and logistics when choosing a rod.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 12:30 PM   #25
Bmuskin

I usually hike back into strip pits or overgrown farm ponds. I usually have to take pruners and cut an area when I am there. I took a 6' 6" All Star rod the last time I hiked in. Didn't work real well. I like the 6 foot Shimano shorter would be better for clearance, but I really do think it would hurt the action. I use weightless 5 & 6 inch senkos 90% of the time.
In the end seems like there are an infinite number of areas and types and styles, and if you buy a decent quality rod it will suffice.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.