Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-18-08, 01:15 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I might laugh later

A buddy of mine and I hit up the fish pond at my work Sunday morning. Got out there at 5:20, the water was glass and there was just enough to moonlight left to see all of the breaks we were hearing. I loaded up a small black buzz bait and my friend was throwing a 4.5" mattlures shad.
http://www.mattlures.com/mattshad.htm
We were doing pretty well and had 5 fish on by 6 am. The fish started breaking a little further away, so my friend asked to use my 7 footer and baitcaster to get a little further out there. Of course I didn't mind so he tied up and let her rip. The first two casts were not an issue, however, on the third it got interesting......
I did not pay attention to the inital brushing of the lure against my leg, but my attention was grabbed as the hook penetrated my thigh a few inches below, my um...zipper. I am not sure how, but my screams of agony were not enough to stop my friend from jerking on the rod tip. It was then that I regretted his choice to add the long shank treble to the bait. My dancing around got my second thigh hooked with the treble. I am not too proud to tell you that by this point the jumping and dancing had come to a stop. I was in a semi fetal position on the dock questioning the legitimacy of his birth. He took two steps towards me, but I vowed to break his legs if he got closer. I looked down my legs and was not surprised at the amount of blood. I guess I should be happy that the treble left an exit wound. I was able to cut the barb off and slide it out. This left me with one of three choices.
1)Ride to the hospital and explain to them how I ended up with a hook in my leg.
2) Jerk that bad boy out.
3) Twist it and push the barb through and then cut it.

I had figured that I was in enough pain that option 3 would not be much worse. BTW, I was wrong. I had prepped myself by lighting a cigerette and opening a beer that was going to be drank 6 hours later. I gripped the lure with my needle nose and gave it one quick twist. I then said words that I hope my mom never hears me say.
After one more beer and two more attempts, I finally got the hook turned enough to push the barb through and cut it off.
My buddy made a smart @$$ comment about me owing him a lure, I mentioned that the reel of braid he backlashed beyond recovery cost more. I will say this about him. He tried really hard not to laugh during the event.
I am sure I will laugh about this, just not yet.
Old 08-18-08, 01:28 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

next time out with yer buddy, wear one of these....

nuff said rofl

no tetanus shot?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 01:28 PM   #3
MIbasser

I'm in pain just thinking about it.... Great story to tell the grandkids some day!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 01:29 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

I about spewed my drink onto the keyboard while reading that. I know it wasn't funny at the time, but anything that doesn't permanently disfigure you or kill you is funny approximately 10 seconds after it happens. 10 seconds is about how long any grown man can hold the laughter in while emitting small spitting sounds in the attempt to hold it in longer.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 01:32 PM   #5
cassidyta

I was good on the tetnus shot JB. (last 6 months) Otherwise I would have gone to get it. No good story to go with when I got it. Just a cut on rusty metal while cleaning up a junk pile.
Old 08-18-08, 01:38 PM   #6
cassidyta

FNG....I agree and did end up laughing. However, everytime I sit down the laugher stops....LOL
Old 08-18-08, 01:51 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

if it makes you feel any better, I am trying not to laugh. It's not working too well but I am trying. lol
Old 08-18-08, 02:34 PM   #8
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i'll say it I fell out of my chair laughing!........................ but only because last summer i had a frog on a 7' spinnin rod loaded w/ big braid and was puttin this rod away when it got a lil to close to a cieling fan which caught the big braided line and burried that frog into the fleshy part of my forearm. i went to the er and had to wait for 4 hrs and finially decided to have these 2 redneck boys help me push it thru on my own, yes it sux very much bad!!!!!!!!! and they also laughed at me as i'm laughin at you. but i am glad to hear that you are still able to walk lol
Old 08-18-08, 02:39 PM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Just have your wife help you through the pain. However, if your wife is like mine, she would say, "Serves you right for going fishing instead of spending time with me." And then she would just laugh.
Old 08-18-08, 02:42 PM   #10
zooker

dam and i thought drillin my self with a 3" nail in the upper leg sucked..at least i had the umm nerve to yank it out BEFORE the pain started..

zooker
Old 08-18-08, 02:46 PM   #11
cassidyta

One thing I should add is that P Pro line held true and the hook on the mattlure never bent. I would have given almost anything to get them to do so, but damn.
FNG....I limped in the house and my wife just shook her head and said she didn't want to know. Then she added a comment on the length of the grass.
I am okay with the laughing C-Rig. I couldn't bring myself to post this yesterday, but figured you guys would appreciate it today.
Stinkie, I knew I wasn't high on the trauma room's priority list so I figured might as well do it myself. I am sure my buddy would have helped, but I couldn't promise not to punch him in the face if he tired....
Old 08-18-08, 03:10 PM   #12
Jim80

Your buddie did better than i would have . I prob would have had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard .
Old 08-18-08, 05:10 PM   #13
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
One thing I should add is that P Pro line held true and the hook on the mattlure never bent. I would have given almost anything to get them to do so, but damn.
FNG....I limped in the house and my wife just shook her head and said she didn't want to know. Then she added a comment on the length of the grass.
I am okay with the laughing C-Rig. I couldn't bring myself to post this yesterday, but figured you guys would appreciate it today.
Stinkie, I knew I wasn't high on the trauma room's priority list so I figured might as well do it myself. I am sure my buddy would have helped, but I couldn't promise not to punch him in the face if he tired....
I wasn't very high on their list either! I will tell you this, after the innitial pain at the beginnin, and after waiting 4 hrs it didn't hurt hardly at all when i poked it thru and cut off the barb. The male ER nurse was kind enough to slip me some side cutters on the sly for lopping off the exposed point. n e way a few Rollin Rocks fixed me right up when i got home. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and my mean cruel hateful wife laughed also!
Old 08-18-08, 07:16 PM   #14
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

Trying not to laugh, at the same time remembering when my buddy pierced my ear with a treble off a mag wart, with a 9 ft. salmon pole in full cast, and still wincing in pain.
Old 08-18-08, 10:47 PM   #15
bamabassman

sorry pal...but i am DYING LAUGHING!! man that is funny, i don't care who ya are. glad that you are ok now, but, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! !!!!!!!!!! sorry, just couldn't hold it anymore. thanks for that, i needed a funny story today...it IS monday.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 09:26 AM   #16
Bob Smith

OH MAN! That's sounds painful (funny too!). Reminds me of two of my friends that were sitting in the middle of schooling bass on Lake Athens in Texas. They were casting Mira-Vibes on opposite ends of the boat. One of them made a frenzied cast and caught the other in the crotch, from the rear end on his back cast. Being a true friend, the caster reached back and attempted to remove the snagged bait, when the hooked fisherman jumped, the caster got the other treble hook barbed in his thumb! One of the guys son was able to finally remove the lure from the first one's crotch (thank goodness it didn't find any flesh). They ended up going to the ER to get the lure out of the caster's thumb.
Old 08-19-08, 03:33 PM   #17
doc

LoL, I think everyone has a funny hooked story.
When I was in JR high school I was fishing a overgrown pond with 2 friends. friend a walkes right behind friend b when he was about to cast, well he hooks him righ in the top of the scalp. friend a thinking he has hooked a overhanging tree branch commences to just yanking the crap out of his pole to try and free it, all the while friend b is screaming to the top of his lungs to stop. I nearly pissed myself laughing. We ended up just snipping the barb off with needle nose pliers, no need to push it all the way thru, friend a made sure of that.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 04:33 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Not me... and I hope not to. I did almost hit my dad with a musky lure sunday though. (imagine a bass crankbait with two size 4 tebles... ok... you picturing it? Now, picture it a few inches longer, with three, 4/0 trebles...)

Sorry about your bad luck, and all the pain. I found it pretty funny myself. Good thing you gave your buddy some credit, cause I would've been laughing my arse off!

BB
Old 08-22-08, 02:58 AM   #19
islandbass

I wanted to laugh, but I was feeling your pain! Sorry that you had it pretty bad, but I don't think it is as bad as this poor guy:

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photos, but may this never happen to anyone and it is the reason I always wear some type of glasses when fishing.
Old 08-22-08, 09:56 PM   #20
bamabassman

note to self...NEVER LOOKA T JB'S POSTED PICTURES AGAIN!! jb....that just about made me lose my breakfast, lunch and supper. i wonder if the guy went blind in that eye.....MAN THAT HAD TO HURT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT!
Old 08-22-08, 10:03 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
note to self...NEVER LOOKA T JB'S POSTED PICTURES AGAIN!! jb....that just about made me lose my breakfast, lunch and supper. i wonder if the guy went blind in that eye.....MAN THAT HAD TO HURT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT!
I agree but it was islandbass's pictures. That was just wrong.
Old 08-22-08, 10:05 PM   #22
bamabassman

my apolizies jb. islandbass did you know the dude? or did you just find this somewhere.
Old 08-23-08, 03:30 AM   #23
islandbass

I found it online somewhere. It could even have been from here. Anyway, I recall I was eating something when I came across it and lost my appetite.

Save those pics to your pc.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.