Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-12-08, 12:07 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tiger and Gorilla Bass

Interesting read.
http://www.strikeking.com/journal/00022/1.php
Old 09-12-08, 03:44 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Didn't read it all, but IMO it sounds like they're trying to fix something that isn't broken. Very interesting concept and everything though.

BB
Old 09-12-08, 05:32 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Well after reading about these bass, I have two questions.
1. How much would it cost to stock our retention ponds?
2. Do you think the city would mind if I put a wire fence at the end of the pond that feeds to the swamp to keep the fish from escaping?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:54 PM   #4
WTL

While it sounds great, I wonder how much we can verify that A)the Tiger bass hit more readily or B)That the Gorilla bass have the best of both worlds.

At the end of the day, they are marketing a product. I would want to hear word of mouth from anglers who have stocked these fish before buying a truckload at what I would assume would be premium prices.
Old 09-12-08, 07:37 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Honest question about stocking ponds.

How much does it cost to stock a pond with lm bass? Does it depend on the size of the pond?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 08:36 PM   #6
WTL

Dont know the exact answer, but the state of alabama DNR I believe manages a program that aids in stocking ponds. I think you may need to own the land.

Check out the Outdooralabama site for more info.
Old 09-13-08, 09:08 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Honest question about stocking ponds.

How much does it cost to stock a pond with lm bass? Does it depend on the size of the pond?
It depends greatly on the size of the pond and the size of the fish you stock. I was reading somthing about stocking a bass pond and it said 75-100 bass per acre. And if you want to put bluegill in put in 5 pairs per acre. Then to maintain the pond, (I don't know how often though) remove 4lbs of bluegill and 1lb of bass.

BB
Old 09-13-08, 09:23 AM   #8
Jim80

That was a interesting read , but in developing a more aggresive bass do you think it would take the sense of acomplishment out of catching the fish of a lifetime ? And If these hybrid bass have the same life span as normal bass but stay more aggresive late in life how soon do you think it would be before the world record for LMB would fall to on of these hybrids or should they be given their own catagory ? I also think it would take some of the skill out of catching a finiky bass that many of us have spent many years perfecting , I would love to catch a fish every cast and know that they would always bite but I also think it would ruin the sport of it and diminish the overall feeling that goes along with angling . In a sense it would be like shooting fish in a barrel .

Jim

Last edited by Jim80; 09-13-08 at 09:30 AM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 02:07 PM   #9
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The reason people aren't catching the regular florida strain might not be the fishes "fault", maybe its the angler, the body of water, or x amount of environmental influences. To me it sounds like they are just spoon feeding anglers, and cadering to their wants. Its called fishing, not catching fish.....
Fishin' fool
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 08:49 PM   #10
rangerryan

if you take to sub species of fish one that is agressive and small but the other is large and docile there is no way to insure that the offspring retains the best of both worlds. thorough bred animals are put through extensive breeding programs and only a select few of the off spring may become champions. so they dont have me sold.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 07:42 AM   #11
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Many years ago BASSMASTER Magazine had an article on the "mean mouth bass". It was a cross between Large Mouth Bass and the Small Mouth. It was reported to be so aggressive that it would attack swimmers.

If a hundred were introduced into a lake/pond I would think that they would be caught quickly and if not returned to the water to be caught again and again...would have to be restocked fairly often.

If Bass fishing doesn't have it challenges...we would all lose interest.

Buddy
Old 09-15-08, 09:13 PM   #12
fishin' fool

One thing with hybrids is that they don't reproduce. So these lakes/ponds will have to be restocked just to keep the people happy. But if they are willing to pay the price then I guess they'll do it. But even if these aggressive fish are stocked, these hybrids will react to fishing and fishing pressure the same as any species, subspecies or cultivar of fish. If they get caught enough, and throw in harvesting a few now and again, it will just result in to down fishing, which sounds like the original problem to me. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.