Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-07, 01:27 PM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Does size matter?

Hey guys,

Yesterday it was around 70 degrees here in Southern Oregon. We still have ice on most of the lakes but I am getting bass fever again.

Last year was the first year that I fished for bass. I'd fished with my father-in-law, who is way better than me. He used to own a bait pouring company and would bring along probably 80 pounds of plastics every time we went out.

This year I am planning to do a lot of fishing. He only goes like every other week becasue he works, so I'll be fishing a lot on my own or with my brother.

I'll be getting my own bait this year and I'm not buying 175 different colors all in 8 different sizes like my father-in-law has.

I'm probably hopeing to stick to about 8-10 colors that seem to be proven performers most of the time. Last year I never fished long enough with one color to know what is any better that any other. I think I did best with shades of purple and green with a brown stripe down the middle.

I know colors matter, but does it really matter if I use a 4" worm or a 6" worm?

I have to start buying my gear now because we have no bass specialty shops around. So I'll probably shopping out of catalogs on from the internet.

Any suggestions on color and size would be appreciated.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:37 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well,i usaully use a 6'' worm but i like 4'' worms in winter and during cold fronts,also i like them on a dropshot. i stick to 4 colors,junebug,green pumpkni,pumpkinseed,and watermelonseed. those are my main colors,they work for me,they might work for you.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 09:36 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sometimes if you don't downsize to a 4" worm you will go home dissapointed. Size does matter, even though she says it doesn't matter, she don't mean it LOL.

Lizards
Old 02-07-07, 10:17 PM   #4
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Both size and color matter, nobody is successful all the time using a single color, single size bait. Like was said before, each has its time and place!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 11:37 PM   #5
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Stick with the smaller worms because any size bass will take a small lure. Think of it like this, instead of having long waits in between big ones you can catch lots of ones that aren't giants in the downtime. It helps pass the time and will give you the confidence that a beginner needs in order to excel to the next level of fishing. Hope this helps you, vagabond.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 11:51 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It really depends on what the fish want. I've seen where they won't touch anything but a 4" worm and other times when 6" is the ticket. K-Driz is right, though-big fish will hit little baits.
Old 02-08-07, 06:46 AM   #7
dodgeguy

buy 4 6 and 10 inch worms but cut down on colors.
Old 02-08-07, 04:39 PM   #8
flbassman

I personally like a 6.5 pumpkinseed or watermelon the best, but you have to diversify......I can see this thread going downhill real quick
Old 02-08-07, 04:48 PM   #9
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Ah hell, just buy 12" worms, and cut 'em down to whatever size you like. Shoot, there's a 4" curly tail, and 2 4" straight tail worms for each one!

(That downhill enough for ya, fl?)
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 06:55 PM   #10
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

It seems like there are always some 4" worms on sale though somewhere, not sure why, but from a personal economic stance it sure makes sense.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 08:17 PM   #11
ROBZILLA

Ask yourself this question is there more bigger bass where you are are more smaller ones? Chances are the average size is from 3 to three pounds. So your chances at catching over 5 and up are slimmer so rig your self up for the three to four pounders. or your just going to be throwing bigger baits for nothing.
Old 02-09-07, 12:09 AM   #12
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

The most respected guide on our home lake here uses a 6 in curl tail worm until post spawn and a 6 in straight tail after spawn ONLY IN BLACK. He says "the fish don't care if a shad was silver or completely black. As long as it swam like a shad they will eat it if it's time to eat. That is somewhat of a simplified approach. But, I will be the first to admit that our lake is crystal clear and he sure catches alot of fish with black worms. But, I would probably (and do) base it more on the water clarity of the waters you fish. Besides....it's no fun going through and orginizing all your plastics when it's too cold to fish IF THEY'RE ONLY ONE COLOR!
Good Luck.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.