Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-04-07, 06:52 PM   #1
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbaits

Ive been watching alot of fishing lately and want to get back in the game. I have always wished with lizards or finnese worms (sp). I have had one spinnerbait and that was a teminator and off the first cast I caught a nice little bass. I am wanting to start using more spinnerbaits, crankbaits and other plastic lures. I have never caught anything over like 3 pounds and think the reason is my rubber worms just wasnt cutting it. I need some suggestions. Im going to purchase some here this week cause im going on vacation and plan to do alot of fishing. Any suggestions? Ow and I have seen that the spinnerbaits with the bloddy hook look and all have worked well. Any experiences?
macdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 07:41 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd start off with a handfull of 3/8 chartrue and white or white spinnerbaits, with a small colorado in bigger willowleaf blade.

Also get a few 1/4 single colorado blade(gold) with a white skirt,,that covers the basics.
You can also get a black skirt for darker conditions, or bluegill or shad skirts for whatever forage is present in your ponds/lakes.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 07:52 PM   #3
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok can I get these at the local walmart or will i need to go to Gander Mt. maybe even online?
Old 03-04-07, 07:59 PM   #4
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the 1/4 ounce single blades, have had very good luck with them. My favorite colors are blue/black and black.

The different blades will give a change in vibration. JB posted some nice pics.

You can buy them anywhere and the prices range from a buck to over $5 depending on the brand.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:02 PM   #5
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool. Yea I read with sping almost here now is the time to catch the big one. How deep of water should I go with the spinnerbait? Does it matter? Im going to be doing some pond and lake fishing. I like hitting the banks.
Old 03-04-07, 08:14 PM   #6
JB

any depth, you can run them just under the surface, or if you see timber in the water you can work the spinnerbait all over it, let it sink and start a retrieve, or just run it a few inches under the surface...millions of choices its so versatile
Old 03-04-07, 08:17 PM   #7
HOG Ranger

You can fish them many different ways. Many people cast them toward cover and crank the #$@# out of the handle. Others let it free fall over cover (slow rolling) and you can also herky jerk them. In my opinion there really isn't a wrong way to fish a spinnerbait but there are ways that might work better.

My favorite tactic is fish parallel to the banks or cover.
Old 03-04-07, 08:19 PM   #8
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool yea im going to invest in alot of tackle and I want some good quality stuff. You got any suggestions on name brand. I had the terminator a long long time ago. It worked. I was watching I think his name was Sammy something and he was fishing with a spinnerbait with 2 hooks and it was a blood red type of deal. He said it gave off the apperance that the bass couldnt resist and I cant remember the name of it. Might have been strike king but I went to walmart and all they had was the single hook.
Old 03-04-07, 08:21 PM   #9
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

ow yea the correct verbage was "trailing hook"
Old 03-04-07, 08:25 PM   #10
HOG Ranger

Strike King makes a "bleeding" bait in many different applications. I normally use a trailer hook anytime I use a spinnerbait. The only exception would be heavy cover or thick grass that keeps hanging.
Old 03-04-07, 08:28 PM   #11
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok will I have to set up the tailer hook myself? Thats with the 2 hooks right? Have you had any good experience with the bleeding hook? Just to many questions lol. I havent even purchased my baitcaster yet and still havent made up my mind. Im going to start doing some serious fishing. I got anout 100-150 to spend on the rod/reel combo. Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-07, 08:30 PM   #12
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

I would actually like to make my custom rod/reel combo but dont really got the know how to make it work like a champ. I would not know if graphite would be better than Fiberglass. And brands would make a difference also im sure.
Old 03-04-07, 08:31 PM   #13
HOG Ranger

Some spinnerbaits come with a trailer hook and if not you can buy them in a small package.

Rod and reel, if you do a search you will find hundreds of topics on that.
Old 03-04-07, 08:37 PM   #14
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Sweet thnx.
Old 03-04-07, 08:47 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
In my opinion there really isn't a wrong way to fish a spinnerbait but there are ways that might work better.
AHEM, the wrong way to fish a spinnerbait is to leave it in the tacklebag/box Or of course throw it into the trees

Lizards
Old 03-04-07, 08:55 PM   #16
JB

and throw it with the current if its present..The "Price Tag" on the spinner baits isn't always an indication of how well the bait is made or how well it will perform under heavy usage. "Cheaper" isn't always "Better". But, the most "Expensive" isn't always the answer either. That is why I would suggest not purchasing more than (1) one until you know it is worth an additional purchase.

I have found that spinner baits made with wire that is Less Than .045 gauge just won't hold up under rigorous usage. The price on the bait might look attractive when you pay for it at the store-but how good does it look to you when it bends beyond repair after you have used it a time or two and you have to throw it away? The wire in my opinion that holds up the best is Stainless Steel. I have used spinner baits made of everything from small gauge wire cable to Titanium. Wire cable was so flexible that it created too much shaft movement it negated the blade action and Titanium spinner baits have a tendency to Snap because the compound is very brittle. For my $$$$$ stainless is the best choice.

There is nothing worse than having a bait with a hook that won't penetrate butter. As I said earlier many baits LOOK GOOD at the store. But they loose their looks at the lake when you see a big fish jump and throw the bait because of bad hooks. I would just suggest this rule of thumb. If a spinner bait manufacturer doesn't list on the package the type of hook used (such as Laser Hooks-Mustad Needle Point and others) I would pass on by. Believe me if they used a premium hook on their bait they would sure want you to know about it! No hook information on the packaging might even indicate cutting corners in other parts of the manufacturing process. Just food for thought.
How many times in the past have you bought a spinner bait and put it in you boat storage or tackle box to use on your next trip? Trip day is here you reach down to get this new bait only to find that the skirt had melted together and is unusable? Now not only do you have an additional expense replacing the skirt-but more annoying is the sticky mess the skirt has made in your Tackle box. I do believe however that there is a slight difference in the way a 100% rubber skirt will perform in cold water verses a silicone skirt. When that time rolls around and it is necessary, I change the shirts out. But it is very rare that I leave a 100% rubber skirt in my boat during hot weather. It may sound like a small thing-but it isn't when you have to clean up the mess.

Do you buy a spinner bait with Willow Leaf Blades-or-Colorado Blades-or-Indiana Blades? Should the blades be Painted-or-Hammered Nickel-or-Hammered Copper-or-Mirror Finished-or-metallic finished? Do I need tandem blades or single blades? And the answer is yes! You may need a combination of all of these to effectively fish different water conditions. BUT no mater what the combination, the blades need to be made of high quality material where they will hold up under heavy usage. The finish on the blades need to last and not discolor or flake off after you have bang it into various structure a few times. And each blade style needs to provide you with maximum vibration and water displacement for their size. At the lake blade performance can be determined rather quickly. The durability test may take a little longer. ( When you "Burn" the spinner bait just under the surface (I'll explain this technique later) does the bait come back straight to you or does it roll on one side or the other? So what if it rolls? If it rolls the blades won't displace the maximum amount of water possible and your percentages of provoking a reaction strike diminishes. Even with .045 gauge stainless steel wire after you have beat and banged the bait into structure over and over again it will sometimes bend to the point where the bait will roll. When this happens, gently straighten the wire with a pair of pliers the problem can normally be corrected. Other reasons that spinner baits roll is that the blade or blades are too large for that size spinner bait or the wire gauge is to flimsy. In the last two cases you have just bought a bad spinner bait which more than likely will be added to your "I wish I hadn't bought that bait pile"
The opposite of "Burning" a spinner bait just under the surface would be "Slow Rolling" (Another technique we will discuss later) the bait in deeper water. It seems that most smallmouth fishermen here in the south love to slow roll big bladed spinner baits in deep water. Most of the time they literally "Drag" or "Crawl" the bait. But that's hard to do when you continually have to increase your speed just to get the blades to turn. To me a good spinner bait is one where the blades begin to turn immediately upon retrieve, and you can feel the thump of the blades when you slow it down to a crawl..

letst's start with size. Do I use a 1/4ounce-3/8 ounce-1/2 ounce-3/4 ounce or 1 ounce bait? This explanation is going to be very basic. If I'm fishing water that is stained to muddy or if I'm fishing slowly in deeper water at night I will use larger spinner baits. 1/2 ounce and up. The reason for this is that larger spinner baits are bulkier and the larger blades will create more vibration which will help a bass locate the bait. If the water is real muddy or if it is pitch black dark, I might even add a big trailer of some sort to add to increase the bulk. If I'm fishing daytime clear water (or) shallower clear water at night with a moon I prefer smaller baits, 3/8 ounce and down because the bass can see them much easier and most of the time without a trailer.

Now what about color? In clearer water I like to use white-chartreuse & white-off white sliver pepper and a see through silver flaked skirts. If I'm fishing moderately stained water I will almost always opt for chartreuse and white or chartreuse and blue. If it is muddy I like pure bright chartreuse. At night I like combinations of solid black-solid purple-black & blue-black & purple-black & red. And at night if the water is clear with a moon and I'm fishing in shallow to moderate depths I even like pure white.

There is no doubt in my mind that other solid colors or color combination work for other fishermen. But these are the sizes and colors that produce for me most consistently.
Old 03-04-07, 10:00 PM   #17
crab

Here are my spinerbaits, the first pic are my terminators the second pic are my other spinerbaits.

You need a bunch of colors and sizes to cover all depths and situations. But your main colors should be white,chartruse, and dark like a dark blue and black for night.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 10:25 PM   #18
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

once again in awe of your quantity of fishing supplies
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 11:15 PM   #19
macdizzle
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow crab nice selection of spinnerbaits and thanks for your input.
Old 03-05-07, 04:35 PM   #20
zooker

is dat all ya got crabby?? looks like about a 1/3 of my collection..lol

macfizzle it's called an edit button -learn to use it-

trees, stumps, rocks, grasslines,ect..there is no WRONG place to throw them.. 2-3 colors are ya basicly need white,chartusese,and combo of them 2.. i do have some off the wall colors orange/black,red shad,purple,gold.. all of which you need to find THE use for..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.