Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-12, 04:02 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Favorite lures for skipping.

Another skipping question for me. I'm curious what some of the favorite lure choices are for skipping by others here in the forums. I think my experiment with skipping with a bait caster is about over. After several tries, it leaves me with the same feeling I had when I quit golfing. So I'm going to try using a 6 1/2 MH/F spinning outfit with 20 pound braid for skipping. Just thinking off the top of my head, lures I think would work well for skipping would be tubes, senkos, weedless spoons, and frog baits. Does this sound about right to you fellas? Am I leaving anything out? I figure, the fewer appendages, the better. Less to catch water on the skip.
Old 04-28-12, 04:50 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tubes are good, as is a senko. I'd add a beaver style bait as my favorite and about as easy a bait to skip as there is, because it's relativelly flat and skips like a stone. Good rod choice, mine is just a bit shorter at 6'3".
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 04:57 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Keith, I really think you should keep after the skipping with a baitcaster deal. I am still not great at it but I am getting better and more confident with it daily. What made the biggest difference for me was finding the right rod for the job. If I was skipping a jig I was using a jig rod, if I was skipping a creature bait I was using a Texas rig rod. What I finally found was that I could get away with using a rod for skipping baits that might be too light for casting the same bait. What I mean is since skipping usually means a pretty short cast I could still get a good hookset with a rod that had a pretty soft tip which allowed me to keep the bait low to the water when I made a cast. This rod would not have enough backbone if I was dragging a jig in 20 foot of water, but it has plenty of backbone for making a short skipping cast. Once I figured out which rod suited me best for skipping I have been making a lot more headway towards learning this technique because I can loosen the tension knob on the reel and make a really soft cast and load up the rod tip so it almost has a sling shot effect. This helps the bait pick up velocity, stay low to the water, and not require me casting so hard that I create a backlash (as often).

To answer your question though. I would say that you could get away with that rod for just about any bait you wanted to skip. A few others I would add is a Swee Beaver, swim jig, finesse jig, and a shaky head.
Old 04-28-12, 05:03 PM   #4
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No don't give up yet. It seems we just has this conversation. I was just skipping senkos yesterday though it only skips for maybe 4 skips max. Very useful for where I fish. Sure I bird nested a few times but then againi bird nest when I cast regular too so no difference IMO. I fish exclusively bait casters now and it's pretty much a practice every outing. Keep at it Keith
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 10:14 PM   #5
keithdog

I'll keep at it but I'm thinking about having a dedicated spinning outfit along for skipping when I really want to make it count. But yeah, I'll still keep trying to learn to skip a bait caster from time to time. Thanks for the tip on rod choice Kory. How would you feel about a 5 1/2' pistol grip casting rod, medium action for skipping? Another recent post about pistol grips got me to thinking a shorter pistol grip casting rod might make skipping easier to learn. I could move up in rod size as it gets easier.
Old 04-28-12, 10:26 PM   #6
robdy72
BassFishin.Com Member

I give up on using a bait-caster for skipping also but have caught plenty of fish with spinning rig I think you should use what ever your comfortable with and have confidence I like to skip a fluke and have had good luck with it.
robdy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 11:58 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll still keep trying to learn to skip a bait caster from time to time. Thanks for the tip on rod choice Kory. How would you feel about a 5 1/2' pistol grip casting rod, medium action for skipping? Another recent post about pistol grips got me to thinking a shorter pistol grip casting rod might make skipping easier to learn. I could move up in rod size as it gets easier.
That really depends on how precise you are with one handed casting. myself personally it would take some re-learning for me to be able to be dead nutts with a one handed cast again. Years ago I was as accurate as anyone with a pistol grip rod and a one handed cast. Now days I have become much better with two hands and so I personally like a fairly short handle but still want one that I can use two hands with. If you are good with a pistol grip then that may be what you need, but I would really recommend something in the 6' range rather than 5'6" because the baits you are skipping still require as much leverage as possible when it comes to setting the hook and fighting fish.
Old 04-30-12, 10:14 AM   #8
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I like skipping a fluke, it looks like a minnow being chased and jumping out of the water to escape.

I've been looking for a good quality, yet affordable 6' baitcaster rod for a while now, for making short casts in cover with spinnerbaits and jigs. I have a few on my radar, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. It seems like a very specific technique, but I think it would get a good deal of use; also in my canoe or kayak when fishing topwater and jerkbaits(techniques in which having the rod pointed down is an advantage).
Any recommendations out there for this type of rod?

Last edited by arfish; 04-30-12 at 10:25 AM.
arfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 10:51 AM   #9
the pyromaniac

I skip with both baitcasters and spinning rods. The lures I skip include Senkos, tubes, flukes (especially the Zoom Super Fluke), some of the flatter hollow swimbaits, and the early 1990's infomercial sensation, the Flying Lure.

I fish a lot of ponds and small streams/rivers in wooded areas, so skipping is a must, and I find that depending on the bait, I can go either way for a rod.
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 07:14 AM   #10
Mac2

The zero appendage, watermelon red zoom speed worm body minus the tail skips extremely well. Fishing it weightless it is perfect for skipping. Great also for distance casting with a spinning outfit. Texposing also helps prevent air resistance.....shortly put, it's truly a winner!!!

Good Fishing, Mac
Old 05-02-12, 11:13 AM   #11
DVT Mike

Flukes and Fat Ika
Old 05-02-12, 12:12 PM   #12
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Theres one bet many would not think of skipping,built perfect for it and when shad are being chased hard to beat,a rattletrap.I have even just gone along the bank skipping it back in under tree branches and had my boat pard give me glares as making noise yet bass didnt seem to mind and stopped it at times inbetween skips.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 02:32 PM   #13
Bucketmouth1010
BassFishin.Com Member

Lunker City makes a bait called a spanky and it skips really well for me. (weightless)
Bucketmouth1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.