Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-28-12, 11:18 PM   #1
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass federation club?

Hey im pretty new to this site.

My question is what do yall think about BASS clubs? Good, bad, okay? Im considering joining one. I have never fished competitively or anything.

Honestly, I love fishing and have loved it since I was a little kid. It is one of the things that I still enjoy doing since I have grown up. I have gone through a lot of phases like paintballing, rugby, etc.. I use to love to play basketball, football, and baseball(baseball being my favorite) but it seems like I go in and out of hobbies and fishing is something thats always stuck with me. I want to really focus more on it now. Dont get me wrong I still love playing catch, but fishing is something where you dont need a partner to rely on. Its just up to you really and thats what I enjoy about it.

Anyway, I can honestly say I am not a great fisherman lol. I use to fish for everything and was never an expert at catching anything. Now I have deciced that I enjoy Bass fishing the best and would like to become a lot better.

What are some tips you guys can give me to become better at this sport and maybe sometime I can work my way up to competing?
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 11:29 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Clubs are excellent ways to learn about fishing. If you join a club you will likely learn more in one season than you would learn in 10 years of fishing on your own. I highly recommend it!!!
Old 03-29-12, 06:52 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Clubs are excellent ways to learn about fishing. If you join a club you will likely learn more in one season than you would learn in 10 years of fishing on your own. I highly recommend it!!!
Me too. Of course you can find not so good clubs and not so nice members, but how bad can any true fisherman really be? Like C-rig said you can learn a lot fast. I joined my first club as a teenager, and even though I had already been fishing for 10 years by then and had a good understanding of the basics, the club experience took my thinking and skills to a whole new level. Besides that it can lead to great fellowship and lifelong friendships. Good Luck.
Old 03-29-12, 09:03 AM   #4
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm a member of a BASS club as well. Test the waters first to see what one you will fit in with. Some clubs are all about tournaments and winning money, others are there just for fun. Ours is a fun club. We do have a $5 big bass pot and bragging rights at the end of the year. We take 2 camping trips a year with the families and then have one "guys weekend" at the end of the year.

I can say that I've learned a lot from my club in the 4 years I've been doing it.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:07 AM   #5
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Join a club & fish as a non-boater. You will learn far more after being paired with others than you'd learn searching the waters on your own. And as far as "testing the waters".... not sure how you'd do this without joining. You can't get a feel for a club just by attending 1 meeting. Also "you" may have to be approved by the membership to join. Face it...these folks consider you as an outsider and want to have someone in their club that's going to be an asset. After a year you may be the next club prez.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 01:13 PM   #6
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think joining a club will help your fishing in several ways. At the very least it will show you whether you like competitive fishing or just fishing for fun and whether you enjoy having a partner or fishing alone. A club will show you the game is sometimes won by thinking. I used to think if I didn't come in with a five or six I wasn't doing anything....untill I won my first tournament with 5 fish all around the 2 1/2 range. Others were coming in with 6's and and even some 8's but only had one or two fish....so in the end I won and was like ahaaa now I see.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 09:05 PM   #7
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

THANKS GUYS!!

I made the plunge. Called up a local club that a guy at bps recommended. I'm going to a meeting later this month. If everything goes well I'll join. I'm not sure how much I will like tournament fishing. I am more concerned with learning, but who knows I might begin a new addiction to tournaments. This club does tournaments, but not for money which is what I was looking for. Looks like I will have to start saving some money up because Im thinking Im going to be spending some this year...Dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.