Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-29-07, 04:20 PM   #1
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation tHe BuZzbAit L0w-DowN

So here's the thing.. I love my topwater fishing and i'm good at it, but one topwater lure that I haven't fished that often is the buzzbait. This is mainly because I have got a wierd mental block when it comes to using larger profiled baits that catch larger fish. The thing is we rarely get big bass here in South Africa, so I just think to myself.. why waste time? I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on using this lure. Where do i use it? What colour do i use? When do I use it? And how do I use it.. do I reel fast? slow? make it skid across the water by giving the occational jerk off the rod tip?

Thanx in advance
Old 04-29-07, 05:19 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

2 blade you can work slower, white, black, chart. being the primary colors. always add a stinger hook. use them in low light conditions early moring or late evening..

buzzbaits require a break in period.hang it in front of a fan or as some one suggested to the attena on your car... the more they squeak the better they are..

zooker
Old 04-29-07, 05:56 PM   #3
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

thanx alot man. that's some handy advice
Old 04-29-07, 07:45 PM   #4
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Buzzbaits produce any size of fish for me, from 1 pounders to 6 pounders.. Use them in low light as zooker said, and all i do is chunk and wind with a ocasional jerk.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 09:35 PM   #5
keithdog

I hear what your saying RSA. I've had them in my box for years and never caught a single bass on one. However, to be honest, I should have given the buzz bait more of a chance to work for me. I'd cast it out a few times, and when I caught nothin, I'd tie on a different lure that I had more faith in. This year, one of my objectives was to give more effort into using the buzzbait. I know they have a proven track record. I bought a couple new ones that have a design which allows the skirted body to ride just beneith the surface while the blades chug along. The last time I was out I caught a nice bass on my fist cast with one. I was thrilled. I caught two more before the wind kicked up and the surface started getting choppy. I can't wait to get out there and try it again on a calm morning or evening. One bit of advise I've often heard with buzzbaits is to reel just fast enough to keep the props on the surface. That retrieve worked well for me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 09:36 PM   #6
Rebbasser

You'd be surprised the size fish that hit them-I've caught them from dinks on up. I use white or chartreuse/white the vast majority of the time. I don't throw them all that often, but when I do, I never, ever throw one without a trailer hook.
Old 04-30-07, 07:34 AM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My favorite buzzbaits are Strike King's. They make a really small one that I fish all day long in the summer, in white and black.
Old 04-30-07, 03:55 PM   #8
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanx guys.. I'll start to throw them more often from now on and try to get my confidence in them back up now that i know when to use them and what colours and that.

Thanx again
Old 05-01-07, 09:21 AM   #9
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Use Lunker Lure Or Cavitron. I Prefer Lunker Lure, The Squeak They Make Is Superior. Use Heavy Mono That Will Help Them Stay Up Better. Youd Be Surprised How Much Of A Difference That Makes. Bend The Wings In A Little Bit Too. That Will Slow It Down A Little Bit. A Lot Of People Like To Run A Buzzbait By A Piece Of Cover. I Like To Throw A Buzzbait Right On Top Of It And Get A Reaction Strike. Make Sure The Buzzbait Stays Low To The Water On The Cast So It Doesnt Splash Or Sink At All When It Hits The Water. If You Are Fishing Open Water Turn The Stinger Hook Upside Down. Good Luck.
Old 05-02-07, 12:19 PM   #10
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

Definitely use large mono. I like 20lb. Don't use braid or flouro. Flouro sinks so...obvious reasons. Braid won't provide that "lift" you want for the buzzbait. Also, one time we had been on a great buzzbait bite for a couple of weeks. The bass were actually coming out of the water to eat the dragon flies that were everywhere. But, one day the bite just quit. They were still hitting the dragon flies on top (we could see them). But they wouldn't hit our buzzbaits. Then we started fishing them erratically and started catching fish again. We would just reel steady then reel in one or two feet real fast, then maybe a couple of twitches, then as slow as possible for a couple of feet etc. No pattern just an irregularly irregular retrieve. It flat worked....for that day. Then the next time we went they were still on the dragonflies but would't hit our "irregularly" retrieved buzzbaits. Then we started "bumping' the bushes with the bait and the fish would just KILL it! So, I would recommend trying an erratic retrieve and bumping into whatever cover you have available with the lure. Hope this helps.
God Bless.
Old 05-02-07, 01:58 PM   #11
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanx everyone. i'm going to put all the knowledge that i've aquired to the test when i go fishing on saturday. weather has been pretty good and i've heard that the locals have been catching on topwater lures lately
Old 05-02-07, 04:53 PM   #12
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Another thing you might try is using a 1/4 oz. buzzbait. The small profile could just be the thing you need to gain confidence in buzzbaits. Though it will get more bites than a larger buzzbait most of the time, big fish are not turned off by it either. Some of my best buzzbait fish have came on the tiny buzzbaits. Good luck
Old 05-03-07, 01:05 AM   #13
hackattack

If there are pads in SA, try the mini in there...you won't be dissapointed...hopefully.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 10:48 PM   #14
jwallbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jwallbassin

reel it right below the water surface (not where the blade is breaking the water but where you can see water moving about where your reeling it in) over grass beds......start reelin it as soon as it hits the water
jwallbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 07:42 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofJolly View Post
Definitely use large mono. I like 20lb. Don't use braid or flouro. Flouro sinks so...obvious reasons. Braid won't provide that "lift" you want for the buzzbait.
Um could you explain that to me? Braid floats, and I use it all the time, not sure what you are talking about?

The Secret weapon is http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

This is without a doubt my ALLTIME FAVORITE Notice the styrofoam stoppers at the end of the blades They allow you to almost crawl this buzzbait on top due to bouyancy. Of course I usually fish them faster than a crawl. And start your retrieve while the buzzbait is still in the air. That way it will be churning as soon as it hits the water. Always try to throw it beyobnd the cover you are fishing, and bring it over/next to/on top of it. I will throw a buzzbait in the middle of the day and catch bass. If they are around heavy cover, the noise and vibrations will bring them out many times. There isn't a bad time to throw one, except when the water is cold. I prefer a black/chart/blue combo of the above bait, except at night then it's solid black. Try bringing it over the edge of a veggie mat sometime, and then watch as soon as it hits the water again. If you haven't caught a bass on a buzzbait, it's because you just don't throw them.

Lizards
Old 05-06-07, 09:11 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Um could you explain that to me? Braid floats, and I use it all the time.
lizard braid is NOT always the answer. you need to learn this.. use what you want but mono is best used for buzzbaits and crankbaits..

zooker
Old 05-07-07, 07:25 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
lizard braid is NOT always the answer. you need to learn this.. use what you want but mono is best used for buzzbaits and crankbaits..

zooker

I have fished all of the above as you know. I fish what works for me, and lose a lot less baits for it. I understand everyone has their own favorite. And I do use 1 rod rigged with 20lb flouroclear. But after adjusting "MY" fishing habits to braid, you will never get me to go back to Mono for much of anything. Please use what you like, and keep giving advice based on what you believe to be true. I however have had my beliefs changed for me from my experiences with these lines. Now I will also state for the record, that very few folks will ever fish like I do personally. So perhaps braid wouldn't be the best choice for them.

Lizards
Old 05-11-07, 01:33 PM   #18
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Well, due to everyones advice in this thread, i got myself a couple of decent sized bass on my once dreaded lure. I used a terminator tiny t buzzbait (black skirt and blade) and pulled out 3 bass all of about 4½ - 5 pounds each while all other lures i tried failed. If it wasn't for all you guys, my confidence in these lures would not be near as high as it is now.. Thanx a million everyone!!
Old 05-11-07, 01:52 PM   #19
JB

lizards and zooker, you all need to settle this over a nice batch of grapes!
mono e mono or braid to braid..its all good ! rofl
what ever it takes to get the job done

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 03:29 PM   #20
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lizards, I only use braid for buzzbaits. I like throwing them right into cover and mono won't pull them out. Now I might try it when not throwing them into the pads, weeds, etc. I also only use braid for toads, frogs, mice. InEccess gave me one of those Barinsky (sp.) frogs to try. Maybe this weekend.

Bob
Old 05-12-07, 11:05 PM   #21
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I'm sorry to say, Bassinbob, I still have the frog. I thought I gave it to you, but I was arranging my tackle for the tournament next Saturday and I noticed I still have it. Just wanted to let you know so you don't freak out when you don't find it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.