Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-11-04, 11:22 AM   #1
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9
Default Flat vesus fully round soft plastics

My first stick mold was from Lurecraft last year and I wasn't pleased about the flat side and slimmer bait, that no way compared to a Senko in shape or final weight (as was suggested by Dave). Not wanting to ditch the molds, I made the two sizes in different colors and salt concentrations.

My first year of hand pouring yielded great catchesof shallow water bass and pickerel. In N.Y., we had above normal rain all last year, so the shallow bite held up from April to November and the soft stick ruled the weed beds. Slim/one sided or fatter sticks did well period!

Fish didn't care one way or the other about the details of the lure, but only the horizontal/vertical fall or tail-wag in the horizontal swim. I even tried Slugos in the same locations, but got bit only with flat sided or round baits.

The biggest advantage to using Del's molds is the fat, round profile and prefectly smooth surface texture you can't get with silicone unless you oil the cavity before pouring. The larger plastic can contain more salt and therefore, weighs more- (the key to making a Senko copy); perfectly round sticks have a hydrodynamic quality flat baits can't. Flat sided grubs and reapers work just a well as those from 2 pc. molds, so the advantage is nonexistent.

I know of a few guys that have dumped or sold all of their LC molds and replaced them with totally-round worm molds (most likely to increase sales), but for my money, both have their value. There is no advantage in using a fatter stick in shallow-water jerking, especially when the slimmer design excels. The same applies to split shotting or C-rigging a 4" slim stick in deeper water. You want more floatation, not less.

I think in terms of a horizontal-vertical or a horizontal-horizontal presentation. The former is a dropping/deadstick technique, working the water column from top-to-bottom; the latter works the top or the bottom over a horizontal distance. Each stick has it's advantages over the other.

As usual, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not the fish's!

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.