Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-25-11, 09:45 AM   #1
TxAmAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buying my first boat

So I'm new here, but I've been lurking around for a few weeks now. It seems there are quite a few knowledgable people on these boards. I thought it might be a good idea to consult you guys on what I should be looking for.

I like the tracker boats. The aluminum boats seem suit my needs best. I know that brand new, these boats can range anywhere from $10K - $20K depending on size and features. With that in mind, plus the fact that this will be my first boat, I think I'll be looking at used boats. My budget will be in the $4-7K range. I've found a few boats that meet the criteria, but I'm ignorant on pretty much all fronts with regards to boat ownership. That's where I'm hoping you guys can shed some light for me.

What are some of the basic things I need to be looking for when buying this boat? How old of a boat should I buy? What size engine for what size boat? Etc...

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
TxAmAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 05:06 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tx,

First off, welcome aboard.

I own a 1985 tracker and love it.
It is my opinion that leaks in an aluminum boat are a when and not an if.

If I were buying one, I wouldn't want to just test drive it. I would make sure that it had no water in it and then let it sit in the lake a little while to see if it takes on water.
Sometimes these leaks can be in a front rivet/seam and driving it under WOT will never take on any water at all, but when fishing from it, you will find that it does take some on. I would want to spend sometime standing on the front deck to make sure that it is being tested in the way that you would use it.

I don't think that age should be as big of a concern as use and maintenance. I have seen plenty of 3 year old boats that have been run into the ground and plenty of 20 year old boats that run just fine.

As far as Engine, get the biggest one that you can. I don't know of anyone who has wished they had a smaller motor. Now that being said, make sure that the boat is meant for that size motor. I have seen boats rated for a 90 hp with a 150 installed. this not a good way to do things.

The best advice that I can give you is to have someone that knows boats go with you when you look at them. If the owner balks at a test drive, then don't buy it.
Old 04-25-11, 05:25 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cassidyta pretty much nailed it. As long as the motor falls within the horsepower limits for the boat, bigger is better. You will get much better performance (and not just speed), better resale value, and to an extent even better fuel economy as well. Just make sure the boat and motor are in good shape before you sign your name. Make sure a compression check is done on the motor before you sign your name. Upgrades like high end electronics are nice if the boat has them but don't let them jack the price up on you for the sake of add ons like this because they don't make much of a difference in resale value. Also make sure it has plenty of trolling motor for the boat. I have seen several boats that are sold brand new with a trolling motor that isn't really big enough for the boat.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 06:12 PM   #4
TxAmAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I really do appreciate it. I've been searching CL all day and decided that, considering this is my first boat, I'm going to reduce my limit and try to stay in the $3-4K range. I want to make sure this whole "boat ownership" thing is everything it's cracked up to be. It would be unwise to drop 7 or 8 grand on a boat only to find out that I can't/won't properly maintain it.

So, with that in mind, I found a few bass boats (aluminum and fiberglass) that caught my eye. I was hoping a few of you would be willing to take a look and give your honest opinions on the quality, value, etc.

Again, any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/2345413265.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2345393033.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/2344786316.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2338860999.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2337138478.html
TxAmAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 06:50 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome Tx!
I really can't help you out much on your questions, but a couple great places to find boats for sale are bassboatcentral.com and boattrader.com.
I've found plenty of boats that APPEARED to be really sweet deals.
Good luck!
Old 04-27-11, 02:12 PM   #6
vfourmax
BassFishin.Com Member

I think a Tracker makes for a good first aluminum rig. One thing is I understand that you want to keep your investment low but one thing to remember that once you drop to a certian level on the investment money then the boats and motors on them that are available in that price range are getting much older as well.

Does not mean that you cannot get a nice boat in that price range but your chances of getting something more problematic are going to be higher than on a newer boat that cost a bit more.

Basically if you stay towards the upper range of what you stated your initial budget was (5-7 thousand) you can find 5-6 year old tracker pt175's with 50-60 hp motors (do not buy one with less hp installed you will not be happy!) that are like brand new if you take your time shopping.

Also the newer all welded revolution hulls ride and handle rough water much better than the older designs and are a much drier ride to boot.

Since your opinion on boat ownership will be greatly influenced on your purchase I would tend to say that the newer boats would offer more of a probablity of getting a trouble free fishing platform that with proper care and upkeep for many years to come.

Good luck on whatever route you choose to go.
vfourmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 08:48 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2338860999.html This boat should be a really solid boat and a good buy for the money if everything is how the seller says it is. I would be sure and do some checking on the crack in the lower unit though. How did it happen? Who repaired it and how? If the motor checks out to be in good shape and everything is in working order I would say it is a good buy.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2337138478.html My grandpa actually has the bigger version of this boat here (1800) with a 150 Black Max. I am not sure of the year of his boat but I was pretty suprised at how well it fishes, it's a pretty solid boat and would also be a pretty good buy.

I can't speak about the Alum. boats because I don't have any experience with them but from what I can see it looks like you have some pretty good choices to choose from if you decide to go that route. In my opinion you would be much happier with a fiberglass boat as long as your tow vehicle can handle it. They aren't blown around by the wind near as bad and they will give you a better ride as well.

Whatever you do just make sure and have the motor checked out by a mechanic.

Good luck and happy shopping!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 12:16 PM   #8
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Welcome aboard TxAm... you've now part of a fantastic site. Found much information here myself. I wass in your exact same position last October, about buying a used boat. Like you, I wanted a "trainer boat" so I could learn and find out if I really wanted the upkeep and what not. These folks on here are really terrific upon giving advice and their opinions. Wish I 'd had one of them with me when I was looking at boats. I wound up getting a '89 deep V Bass Tracker that looked pretty good at first. Local mechanic showed me things I'd missed upon inspection. So far, it's cost me double what I paid for it in repairs. If you can, [U]please[U] take someone with you who knows the in and outs of boats, when you go look at them. Their advice is invaluable. Would I steer you away from a Tin can Bass Tracker, no, not at all. The times we have used it, were/are fantastic. It's a trainer boat and I've learned a great deal about boating with it. I will say though, check that trailer for [I]any[I] rust. That was my biggest gripe with mine for now. The (crappy) original Tracker trailer was so rusty, it broke on us the 4th time out. The boat however, we love. It's got it's quirks, as any boat company will.
I'm over here in Arlington, and I'd happily give you and yours a ride to see if you like it. Well, when I get my newer trailer in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tongue gone 2.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	6660  
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.