Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-06, 04:19 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up Good morning on the water

Well, Flyrod and I met about 5:45 this morning and headed for Canyon Lake, just north of San Antonio. We launched about 6:30 and barely fired up the big engine before we dropped the trolling motor. The fish were jumping at the ramp so we started throwing topwaters-I missed 2 on a Spook ant Flyrod missed one on a buzzbait until the topwater bite turned off. I started throwing a Yum craw and a crankbait and Flyrod rigged up a 4-inch Tiki Stick rigged wacky. He immediately put one in the boat,so I switched, too. The wind wasn't too bad so we worked the south bank near the ramp out to the first main lake point. We tried different baits-Flyrod got one on a Zoom watermelon/blue flake but the rest came on the wacky rigged Tiki. From the ramp to the point I got 14 and Flyrod got 8-most were dinks but there were a couple keepers, mostly largemough with a few smallies thrown in. We were just getting ready to run around the point to another spot when about 11:30 there was a loud BOOM of thunder so we high-tailed it out of there. Turns out that was the ONLY clap of thunder we heard, and after we had the boat out of the water the sun came out. Still, beter safe than sorry. Not a bad way to spend the morning!
Old 04-28-06, 04:44 PM   #2
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tough Decision to make: Keep fishing and ignore the thunder or stop fishing and avoid the thunder. I can't tell you how many times I have been out fishing in my rowboat or wading down a stream when a good storm would come through.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 04:54 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

To supplement my earlier post: During the thunder, I did not keep fishing. However, when I am wading and far from a car, I often must seek refuge in the woods.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:04 PM   #4
JB

Reb,
Denny and me had a good day of it today too, but only boated two apiece that were over 14 inches, Got one wacky rigged tiki, a new color for me that looks like a real worm, its copper and brown..
The others on a zoom 3 inch watermelon -punkin seed tube, they won't hit that 4 inch bleeding tube for some reason...
We had east wind, at a good chop, and about 68 degrees, the bass are lookin around but the big bluegills had the bank, I got faked out a few times on gill runs, then when the bass finally did hit it, all I felt was the line running, no "thump'..Once we got them out of the timber, they have a really black back to them..It was fun~!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:15 PM   #5
Rebbasser

That was how it was with us-only felt a couple-mainly the line just got heavy. Had a few gill runs ourselves
Old 04-29-06, 06:18 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Guess I dont have enough sense to get outta the rain. Been fishing in some real bad thunderstorms and prolly will do it again. Now it aint real smart to do considering the fact your out there waiving a lighting rod around. Glad to see some of us got enough sense. Been told a chicken has a real small head and he has enough sense to get outta the rain. LOL
Old 05-01-06, 09:07 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Reb,

Why not post pics of some of those smallies on the weigh in thread. I would love to see a southern boy win the prize, even if it's 2lbs. Glad you and Flyrod had a good morning, same to you JB and Denny.

Lizards
Old 05-02-06, 05:47 PM   #8
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Guess I dont have enough sense to get outta the rain. Been fishing in some real bad thunderstorms and prolly will do it again.
Know that feeling. Gotta love coming home drenched, taking a hot shower and drinking a nice cup of coffee. We have a little tin can boat, and if the waves get bigger than a foot, they crash on the bow (where I sit.) But hey, it's worth it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.