Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-12, 12:57 AM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default fluorocarbon & topwaters

i know that ideally this is not the best choice line for top waters since the line sinks.. gotta go with mono or braid..

but because of the sinking quality of fluoro.is it possible it just might give that topwater bait the action that the fish haven't seen before..isnt that part of the game?

the reason i bring this up is, i mostly use my baitcaster which has Fluoro line on it. i have a spinning reel set up that i use braid on, but i dont always take that rig with me when im out, and i can see there being times ill want to throw a top-water and realize i decided to leave my spinning reel in the car, now what? not allowed to throw my frogs or jitterbug ect ect?

is the possibility of making up a 2 or 3' leader of braided line at the end of my fluoroline,that i could hook up quickly so when that time comes and i wanna throw that topwater i can... or am i just thinking kooky?
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 06:51 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You just might be on to something there. Some surface baits like poppers just might have enough change in how they sit on the water that the action might be altered just enough to make a change in how they look which might give you an advantage. It's worth a try. Other surface baits like a jitterbug or spook I wouldn't think would really be affected much as when I use those baits it's pretty much a constant retrieve. Same way as with a buzzbait. Give it a shot and let us know what you discover.
Old 04-04-12, 07:11 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Or you might try putting some fly-line floatant on the last few yards.
Old 04-04-12, 08:07 AM   #4
IowaBasser

I don't use Flourocarbon yet (I will probably give it another try this year.) However I have pondered this question.

I don't think FlouroCarbon would be horrible on top-waters where you are in constant contact with your lure, like buzzbaits and some frogs. For the most part, a high rod-tip should be enough even on a slow retrieve.

Now, it you are talking about a top-water where you let it sit for 30 seconds and then give it a small twitch and then wait another 30 seconds... that is when I think you would find FC to be a pain in the arse. I imagine FC would sink giving you excess slack in your line?
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 01:28 PM   #5
crazyju
BassFishin.Com Member

Fluro is all i have used on poppers for the last two years. I have caught more each year. I dont know if it helping but it is not hurting my bites. It does have a different action though.
crazyju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 02:31 PM   #6
joedog

Throw the top water, I do.
Same deal, wrong pole right time.
Light poppers will dig a little more causing a larger 'pop' but if anything that's probably a plus.
Any open water, top water works. The action is somewhat different but not really much different than like switching to a heavier lines effect. My opinion only.
Worst case scenario, fish don't bite it. If the fish were biting on what you were throwing....probably wouldn't think of switching in the first place.
Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Very good question!
Old 04-04-12, 04:05 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've tried it.

The fluoro always sinks, making it very hard to impart any action to the topwater, particularly poppers. And if you're fishing around shallow cover, the line can get caught on all sorts of snags, nicking your line up something fierce.

That's just my experiences though, yours may very!
Old 04-04-12, 07:11 PM   #8
bigjim

now how about this flurocoated line? (P-Line for instance)does that sink just the same as 100% FC? less or more or the same?
Old 04-04-12, 07:14 PM   #9
Tavery5

I would not use FC line for any type of walking bait. A sinking line creates allot of surface tension on the line and IMO does not allow walking type baits to work well.
Old 04-04-12, 07:21 PM   #10
bigjim

a walking bait i totally agree on..
but a popper? i dont know, it may keep the lure just low enough to give it a little bit different gurgling sound on the retrieve..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.