Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-12, 09:29 PM   #1
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default best lens color for fishing...

About to purchase a new set of Costa sunglasses and I am torn on colors...I am going to be buying the new 580g glass lenses and I am trying to decide between the green mirrored lense and the blue mirrored lense...what do you guys think would be better for fishing here in the southeast? Wanting to place my order tomorrow night so any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 09:58 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a pair of Costa Man-O-Wars with the silver 580g lenses and I love them. The silver glass lenses is actually like an amber lense which is the best color for sight fishing. I can't help you choose between the blue or green lenses but if you can try out a pair of the silver lenses you should give them a look.
Old 04-15-12, 05:31 PM   #3
LeBron_Hill

what about frame color? Do most of you guys go with the tortoise color frame on the Costa sunglasses or the matte black? I know his has no significance to your sight but just curious appearance wise which ones you guys prefer. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-12, 06:36 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
what about frame color? Do most of you guys go with the tortoise color frame on the Costa sunglasses or the matte black? I know his has no significance to your sight but just curious appearance wise which ones you guys prefer. Thanks again.
I got the silver frames as well. I kinda thought the tortoise liked a little girly and for the money I invested in them I wanted something other than black frames.
Old 04-15-12, 08:43 PM   #5
Crankbait

To me the amber lens and the yellow in extreme low light are the best. The mirrored look cool though. But amber seems to let you into the water way better than the rest. Amber is the way to go!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 09:14 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
To me the amber lens and the yellow in extreme low light are the best. The mirrored look cool though. But amber seems to let you into the water way better than the rest. Amber is the way to go!
I agree. However Costa doesn't make amber 580g lenses, well they kinda do but they don't call them amber. Their silver 580g lenses are like an amber lense but they are a little darker than most amber lenses so they do a great job even with bright sunny conditions.
Old 04-15-12, 10:02 PM   #7
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you haven't ordered yet, I have been looking at them too and reading other places supposedly the green lenses are better for freshwater and the blue for saltwater. And I read this on another fishing forum, so all fishermen talking about it.
Old 04-16-12, 06:15 AM   #8
LeBron_Hill

Yeah i havent ordered yet but I did decide to go with the green mirrored lense because the green mirrored lens is built off of an amber lens from what I have read. Now I just cant decide if I am goin to go with the flat black frame or the tortoise colored frame.
Old 04-20-12, 06:00 AM   #9
SaminVa

I was looking at the same thing on Tues.... a local guide here close by prefers the amber lenses for most applications... he did have the blue mirrored but polycarbonate not glass(this was his 1st pair of costas). He told me that day in and day out amber.. unless you are well enough off and can afford diff. pairs for diff light conditions. He did say the glass was the way to go... bar none
I tried several pair on and liked them, but was hard to tell a diff. in a parking lot of a shopping center.. guess when you are on the water its much diff.
Old 04-21-12, 11:57 PM   #10
Rebbasser

I have 2 pair I use for fishing: Amber for cloudy days, gray for sunny. Granted, they aren't the high dollar glass costas, but they do the job. When you do order them I cannot recommend highly enough to get something like Chums or some kind of retainer. When they are hanging around my neck when not wearing them (not often) I do not 1. Sit on or otherwise break them or 2. leave them someplace when not paying attention and lose them. My wife just lost a nice pair by not paying attention.
Old 04-22-12, 09:50 AM   #11
bigjim

how about any of you guys who wear prescription glasses and want to get a good pair polarized sunglasses? i wear glasses ..i dont wear contact lenses so the sunglasses would have to be prescription
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 12:18 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
how about any of you guys who wear prescription glasses and want to get a good pair polarized sunglasses? i wear glasses ..i dont wear contact lenses so the sunglasses would have to be prescription
Costa makes perscription polarized sunglasses. Costas aren't cheap but they are the best glasses I have ever worn and after 10+ years of wearing Oakleys I wish I would have switched to Costa sooner.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.