Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-18-13, 02:36 PM   #1
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing soft plastics, need combo advice

I got some great insight and info. when looking for my last St. Croix rod & reel combo. Now it's time to get it again.

I'm going to be using it for soft plastics.... worms, lizards, tubes etc. I'm torn between 2 St. Croix Mojo Bass rods.

MBS68MXF Wacky Style 6'8" one piece

MBS70MF Tubes/Grubs 7' one piece

So those are the two rods I'm torn between.

I am looking at the Pflueger Supreme XT reel as I am in love with Pflueger/St. Croix combo.

My questions:

1. which rod of the two is your recommendation
  2. is this reel a good choice
  3. if not, which reel? If so, which size?
  4. What line would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Jeff
dctineffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 03:36 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reel is easy for me - I use Pflueger Supremes & Supreme XT in a size 30 (medium rod) or 35 (MH rod)

Rod is tougher, you will get varying opinions. Mine: I do not fish plastics - other than finesse like 4" worms or single tail grubs - on a medium rod. MOST plastics I want a MH rod in either a spinning or casting version, length 6'9" - 7'-0", others will like shorter or longer.

My reasons for a MH are many and again this is MY opinion:

I use 4/0 or 5/0 hooks which are heavy wire and a MH will drive those heavier hooks home.

Plastic baits are usually thick and I do not fish them with an exposed hook point, again the heavier rod will move my hook through the plastic and into the fish.

I fish plastics mostly around or in cover (grass) and the heavier rod helps get the hook set when grass is added to the hook set factors mentioned previously.

When adding a weight to your line that's something else that needs to me moved when setting the hook, add a sinker I definitely want a MH.

With all that said - different brands will vary slightly between the same power rating. One brands medium may be very close to another brands MH. My preference for a MH rod is based upon the brand I use but generically speaking, for plastics I want a pretty stiff rod with a fast tip.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 06:20 PM   #3
nobass

i fish plastics alot. for general use i like a 7ft range mhf over xf seems a little stiffer for setting hook thur plastic and mouth. if fishin heavy veg a heavy action 7.6 ft range. like bruce said it pesonnel preferance. i do not use spinning for my plastics. again my choice. choose want you like and what kind of cover you will be fisshing
Old 06-18-13, 08:44 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What size plastics will you be fishing? What weights?

I think as long as you're not fishing big worms or heavy weights, you should be fine with your rod choices. The weight of your baits will really decide whether you can get away with a M power or if you should move up to a MH.

Do you prefer longer or shorter rods? Do you have a preference for F vs XF rods?

I personally like 7' over 6'8" rods (actually, I like something in the 7'3" range). I also prefer Fast over XF actions for pretty much all my plastic fishing.

I own the Tube/Grub rod you are looking at, and when it was a regular in my arsenal it got used mostly for the occasional wacky rigged senkos and tubes. While I think it would work, it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a general purpose plastics rod though.

Are you open to other rod brands/suggestions?

Pflueger spinning reels are great, especially at their price points. I had an older model Supreme that served me very well for a few seasons before it was replaced with a higher end Daiwa spinning reel. I gave it to my dad, but still use it occasionally myself. I'd go with a 30 size regardless of rod power.

What types of line do you prefer to fish? What kinds of cover will you be fishing?

Before knowing your answer to these, I'd say a braided line will probably be your best bet. A good braid that you like in 20lb test. I'd recommend Sufix 832. I've been loving this line the last couple seasons. If you've got experience with fluorocarbon and don't mind dealing with it's faults on a spinning reel, a GOOD 8lb FC should work as long as you won't be fishing in heavy cover or with heavy baits.

After I get a bit more info from you, I'll expand on some of my points.

BB
Old 06-19-13, 09:05 AM   #5
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies!!

As far as what size plastics & weights: avg. 6" plastics some being heavier beavers etc. - weights at max 3/8 oz but sometime 1/2 oz if i'm going really deep.

As far as the length.. I like my 7' rods just fine.

I am open to other rods and brands. I tend to stick with what I know I like, that is why I repeat my St. Croix/Pflueger combo to avoid being disappointed in something else, but would definitely look at others. I'd like to hear other suggestions.

I prefer braided line, unless the technique is better fished with something else. But in this case where cover is involved, braid seems like a good choice.

Vegetation and a lot of wood will be involved. One of the places I frequent is an old quarry and is full of old wood, submerged standing trees etc.

I'll wait for your reply. I would like to hear your other rods or brands too. $300 is my max on the combo.

thanks
Old 06-19-13, 06:48 PM   #6
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have the wacky style mojo for just that, wacky, descent rod In my honest upmost opinion. I like the triumph over the rage and mojo, Avid is beeknees, with that being said my mojo gets the wacky job done. I even throw very lite split shot worms and shaky if dont have my shaky rod with me. For shaky I did use a new cumara 7'2 till it snaped on me. I took it back and got a carbonlite for my shakys and replaced the Cumara spinning with the casting cumara 7'2 MHXF for my T rig and some jigs, big upgrade from my compre and it is wicked.. The point I lost somewhere long ago, If you want somthing to hold 1/2 and in croix line, I think they have a spinning worm rod, 7ft MHF, if you vacate the croix ,the abus always over under rate there rods, SO a MH vendetta or veritas woudl be a good all around spinning rod.
Old 06-20-13, 08:10 AM   #7
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
....... if you vacate the croix ,the abus always over under rate there rods, SO a MH vendetta or veritas woudl be a good all around spinning rod.
Have you used both St. Croix and Abu Rods? Would you say the Abus are just as good or better than Croix?
Old 06-20-13, 08:31 AM   #8
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

ALSO, after looking at Abu website, there is a disturbing amount of bad reviews for rods breaking and eye inserts just coming out. Has that been anyone's experience here?
Old 06-20-13, 12:15 PM   #9
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctineffect View Post
Would you say the Abus are just as good or better than Croix?

I wouldn't put Abu Garcia rods in the same quality locker as St. Croix, but I would put Fenwick on equal footing with St. Croix. Fenwick HMG rods are VERY nice rods and many anglers would say the Techna series is even better. The Techna rods have faster tip actions and I like them in light spinning rods.

Comparison of Fast action tips vs. Xfast action tips... XF actions help make up for lighter power in longer rods. Slower action tips provide more forgiveness in casting a wider range of baits, as well as, fighting hooked bass.

My opinions... other's mileage may vary.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 03:19 PM   #10
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Agree with above with sensitivity I would not put abu on same line with croix,, I have heard veritas horror stories but never vendetta, I fish mainly from shore and do carry 300-500 combos with me and am careful but for a tank rod, Id run throught brires and bushes, Id pick a vendetta or shimano sellus. Now if you want to max out your budget, hands 100% down for a an avid and your plfuger or even a symtre by shimano. a buddy I occasional fish from a boat with a friend that has some new legends and steezes, IMO the only way i would fish a steez is if i was cashing check regualrly, anyway my avid is.. again IMO nicer than that.
Old 06-21-13, 10:52 PM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

I would go with shorter is the 2 the rod tends to be more sensative in my opinion.
Old 06-29-13, 09:49 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

First off, sorry it took me so long to respond after you answered my questions.

[QUOTE=dctineffect;408817]Thanks for the replies!!

As far as what size plastics & weights: avg. 6" plastics some being heavier beavers etc. - weights at max 3/8 oz but sometime 1/2 oz if i'm going really deep. [\quote]

I think you may be better going with a MH rod if you'll be fishing plastics plus a 3/8-1/2oz weight. I usually like looking at the lure ratings on a rod as well as the power because not all M powered rods are created equal.

The St. Croix Mojo Tube/Grub rod is rates 3/16-5/8oz. Like I said, I own this rod and think it would work for your needs. However, a rating closer to 1/4-3/4oz might work better. A plastic, hook, and 1/2oz weight will be right on the 5/8oz limit of the Mojo, and I personally don't like fishing rods right at or above their weight limit. I just think most rods struggle a bit.

Quote:
As far as the length.. I like my 7' rods just fine.
If you like them, feel comfortable with them, and the shorter rod doesn't offer an advantage, I see no reason to go shorter.

Quote:
I am open to other rods and brands. I tend to stick with what I know I like, that is why I repeat my St. Croix/Pflueger combo to avoid being disappointed in something else, but would definitely look at others. I'd like to hear other suggestions.
St. Croix makes a good rod, and arguably one of the most well built rods on the market. The craftsmanship I've seen out of Croix rods, even some of the lower end ones beats just about any production rod in its price range.

With a $300 limit for rod and reel, you can set yourself up with a nice combo. Especially with 4th of July sales coming up!

Dobyns Rods is my personal favorite production rod. They put out a quality product with great craftsmanship. They are also a small company with great customer service (I had a broken guide on a rod, told them which guide on what model rod, and they shipped a new one out right away). Their Savvy series would fit your needs and budget perfectly, but a 7' MH rod isn't offered in this series. The M powered is rated at the same as the Mojo Tube/Grub, but will fish a little lighter powered on the water (don't know if Croix underrated the rod or Dobyns overrated theirs?).

If you can stretch your budget and wait for a 20% off sale on the 4th of July (BTD usually does 20% to top TW, and TW will price match), you could move up to their Champion series. The 704SF model is 7' MH F and rated at 1/4-1oz. I can tell you from experience a 7' MH F Champion is an extremely versatile rod that will fish lures under its lure rating and up to 3/4oz very well.

I don't have a lot of on the water experience with Falcon rods, but the little I have is good and I've heard good things. However, I don't see a spinning rod in their lineup (at least on TW) that fits your needs...

Phenix offers one of their M1 rods in a 7'2" M XF rod that is rated for 1/8-3/4oz. Based on the lure ratings, this might be a good choice (it also looks sweet, almost like a custom rod.

Powell makes a good rod as well. They don't have a MH rod in their Max series of spinning rods, but a 7'1" MH XF Endurance would fit the bill nicely if you don't mind the purple rod (it's a bit brighter than the Mojo).

[QUOTE=dctineffect;408817]I prefer braided line, unless the technique is better fished with something else. But in this case where cover is involved, braid seems like a good choice.

Vegetation and a lot of wood will be involved. One of the places I frequent is an old quarry and is full of old wood, submerged standing trees etc. [\quote]

I think braid would suit your needs the best. 20-30lb in a braid you like. Sufix 832 is great, and Sufix Performance Braid is a great less expensive alternative.

Quote:
I'll wait for your reply. I would like to hear your other rods or brands too. $300 is my max on the combo.

thanks
If it were me, I'd go with a Dobyns Champion 7' MH F and the Pflueger Supreme XT you want once I found a good 15-20% off sale in a few days.

However, it's not me, and this combo will stretch your budget a bit, even with a sale. I do think you'd be really happy with the combo, but in the end, you've gotta go with what's right for you.

BB
Old 07-03-13, 03:48 PM   #13
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all your input on this rod purchase!! you guys are great and really give me a lot to consider. Nice to have guys who have tried this stuff offer advice. Thanks again
Old 07-10-13, 02:16 AM   #14
Rebbasser

I keep it pretty simple: With the exception of a finesse bait if it has a single hook I use a MH action. For big baits like a big worm or heavy jig I go to a H action. The reason is that you need a rod with more backbone to get a good hookset. The hook has to go through the plastic and into the fish's mouth and a M action rod just does not have the stiffness for a solid hookset. Bottom line, though, is to use what works for you, not someone else.
a 7' MH action rod will do the job very well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.