Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-17-08, 10:12 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Line for Buzzbaits.

This past year, I've been using buzzbaits a lot. This year I want to get better at hooking fish and such. I've heard for buzzbaits that you should use mono, and I've heard braid. Which is it???

I've used braid mostly all summer. My question is, should I throw throw the buzzbait on my rod with the braid or my topwater rod with mono?

Thanks for the help... again...

BB
Old 01-17-08, 11:49 AM   #2
JB

I throw the buzzbait on 12-14 mono
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 12:12 PM   #3
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mono for me. It helps get the bait on top quicker, plus it has some stretch to help prevent jerking the bait away from the fish. If your in heavy cover and must fish braid, I'd recommend a long rod and atleast a 6.1 reel and just hold the rod tip high enough to get the bait on top. You'll also have to wait to feel the fish before setting the hook, although adding a trailor hook will help (you should be using those anyway).
Old 01-17-08, 12:45 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Anything that floats, Mono or Braid. If you go with mono. I 'd reccommend at least 14 lb. The higher test you go, the more flotation you get!

-Lunk-
Old 01-17-08, 05:53 PM   #5
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like mono and braid if I use mono its at least 14lb but most of the time I have PP 30lb on teamed up with my 7.1:1 abu.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 06:07 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Default Buzzbait lines

I've tried the braid on the buzzbaits and found that you have to adjust your reaction time too dramatically on some of the strikes. Meaning that you can easily snatch the bait away from the fish before he really chomps down on it. I like the mono because of the stretch factor. It will ususally give the fish just a second more to turn and load up on the bait, thus giving you a better shot of getting a hook into him.
I don't subscribe to the line floating theory on buzz baits because you are moving already. Different story with a popper, chugger or more importantly a walking type bait.
Old 01-20-08, 07:48 AM   #7
Mac10

You can get a jar of unscented Alboline at the drugstore. Treating your line for the last ten or fifteen feet will float your line on top and help with the buzzbait. Alboline is an old timey face cleanser, but a lot of fly fishermen use it as a fly line and fly floatant. Just be sure to get the unscented. For storage and use, I put it in 35 mm film canisters, about half full. It will melt on your fingers becomming liquid and easy to apply to the line.

I don't know that this is necessary, but I've seen some folks use floatant with smaller lures than buzzbaits.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:56 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Well, thanks everybody. Looks like I'm going ot be throwing my buzzbaits on my topwater rod this year (17lb mono).

Thanks again for the help!
BB
Old 01-24-08, 02:39 PM   #9
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

20 lb. big game
Old 01-24-08, 04:38 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Well, seems like everyone is saying to stick with mono. That's what I would have thought too.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.