Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-27-05, 06:09 PM   #1
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner
Default casting techniques

alot of times when i cast out, i get too much splash. (dropping a bowling bowl from a plane would make less commotion) my trajectory must be completely off . i mostly have this problem when using larger bait, like a buzz bait. what's a good method (rod position) to use to get a cleaner entry into the water.? once i get myself on the right track or know what im supposed to be doing, i can just keep practicing till i get it
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 06:35 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: casting techniques

Unless you are pitching or flipping which use short range underhanded casts you are going to get a splash. Â*I either try to throw past my target and bring it back by it or if I'm throwing toward the bank if I won't get snagged up try to throw it up on the bank and pull it gently into the water. I know what you mean about the bowling ball splash ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 07:16 PM   #3
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Using an underhand roll cast will keep your bait just above water and when it lands won't make quite as much splash as it would on an overhand cast. It doesn't reduce casting distance either. I usually use an underhand roll cast when fishing spinnerbaits. Its also faster than an overhand cast when fishing lures you must hold your rod low to fish. Its kind of hard to do with a long rod but it can be done with
6'6".
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 07:29 PM   #4
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/casting.html
For short range casting you can pitch and flip for a quiet splash.
http://www.bassresource.com/fish/flip&pitch.html
To be a versatile angler it helps to know how to cast different ways right handed and left handed.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 08:19 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

this technique takes alot of practise, but can be accomplished,
When throwing the buzzbait, if you throw with a baitcaster, the instant the lure hits the water you should have your reel engaged in a few turns and at the same time lifting your rod tip to above 45 degrees,
you can land any bait a long distance an hardley any splash at all.
On flipping, I take the bait in my hand for the first flip and raise n lower my rod, for a gentle entry, that technique isn't to hard to master, give it a try all summer and in a few months you'll see improvement
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 08:31 PM   #6
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

ive never done pitching or flipping style casting at all ,so it will take some work getting use to
Old 05-27-05, 08:47 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well then for now try the long cast technique and it may be a little harder to master if you use spinning gear , but it can be done!
Once ya fish all day with the same lure over n over ,cast after cast, your casting gets sooo much smoother, it just takes time on the water, day in and day out...
Old 05-28-05, 12:40 AM   #8
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

well theres a type where your twirl the line around once and then let it go i learn it on bass university
Old 05-28-05, 12:55 AM   #9
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

yea i saw that too
Old 05-28-05, 04:42 AM   #10
jd3hayes
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jd3hayes

[quote author=jordan09 link=board=news;num=1117228195;start=0#7 date=05/27/05 at 23:40:29]well theres a type where your twirl the line around once and then let it go i learn it on bass university
[/quote]

I saw it too on that episode and that was the first time I witnessed it done (as opposed to reading a description of it).

I think it is the same cast Lockjaw described. Anyway, it also works with spinning gear. It can help cast those really light floating rapalas a bit farther than the standard cast.

And please don't rip me for using spinning gear . . . I am equally adept with a curado in my hands. Â*;D The first time I tried it I only had my spinning setup. :

--islandbass
jd3hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 10:32 AM   #11
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

I can't belive no one has said "if you have a bait caster thumb the spool at the end of your cast" just as the bait ,lure or what ever your fishing just as it's a foot to where your fishing use your thumb to slow the reel down and BAM a slow entery to the water!. with a spinning reel throw the bait and when it get to within range lock up the spool and elevate your rod tip making the cast slow down. the bait will have a lot of froce from casing so you go to slow the momentum down.

Hope this helps.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 02:15 PM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Rob,
Your correct sir!
I just keep taking it for granted everyone has a educated thumb..good pt.
As far as the other posts about well theres a type where your twirl the line around once and then let it go i learn it on bass university
That is a neat trick for beginners, but all it does is give you momentum on the cast, and it does save on the ol arm if ya do it all day and fishing in close
Old 05-28-05, 06:17 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

and if you learn how to bounce a 1/4 oz lipless bait off a full needled lobloy pine tree with out hanging it up. i have only witnessed it one time.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 08:03 PM   #14
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

if you never flipped or pitched before,and you really want to learn,there is no magic.you just have to do it and yes it will take some getting used to.
but the longer you wait to even try to learn is only holding you back.in order to be competitive(or just catch more bass)you MUST learn to flip and pitch at least minimally.and once you start you will only get better at it....don't put it off,start tomorrow.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 01:04 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1117228195;start=0#13 date=05/28/05 at 19:03:38]if you never flipped or pitched before,and you really want to learn,there is no magic.you just have to do it and yes it will take some getting used to.
but the longer you wait to even try to learn is only holding you back.in order to be competitive(or just catch more bass)you MUST learn to flip and pitch at least minimally.and once you start you will only get better at it....don't put it off,start tomorrow. [/quote]

What he said ;D. As for the splashing, pretty much covered it, however there are lots of times, when a large splash will get a bass on your bait before you even move it. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, many times I skip plastics, trying to make splashes just to get the fish triggered. Works for me.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.