Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-29-10, 11:52 AM   #1
nybass1
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Reel Choice

I want a new reel to put on my bass pro casting rod and im having trouble deciding what to get. I think i have it down to the Bass Pro Qualifier, Johnny Morris signature series, and the quantum kinetic pt. Price is not really an issue and if anybody has any other reel suggestions that would be great

Thanks,
nybass1
nybass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 12:11 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just picked up a Pro Qualifier back in early April. I've used it nearly 5 times a week since then and I must say it's my favorite reel I've owned to date!

The best part is I caught it on sale for 69.99!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 12:14 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Pro qualifer out of those choices. if it was me I would go abu garcia revo 100%.
Old 05-29-10, 01:37 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It really depends on what you're gonna be using it for. Ifn it's an everything combo, I would (call me stupid) look into Ardent reels. I've been reading about them they seem like they're good reels, just you'll get a few more lemons than with other companies. They're very smooth and cast great some what I've heard - Best part is, they're made in the US of A! They're only have RH casting reels though.

Also I'd look at the higher end revos (STX, premier) and Daiwas, like the zillions and the Advantage HSTA. People say shimano Curados are also good work horse reels.

I've got a JML reel from BPS, it's ok, but I will never buy another BPS reel again, just not worth the money.
Old 05-29-10, 05:43 PM   #5
keithdog

Tackle Warehouse has the 2009 Garcia Revo SX on sale right now for $139.00. Thats a hell of a great price for a hell of a great reel. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 09:11 PM   #6
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I haven't used any of the reels you mentioned, however I did pick up a Quantum Catalyst PT from Cabelas regular 149 for 89 (still at that price I just checked). Its a good reel, casts well and very light weight but I'm not real happy with the braking control but it may just be the operator. Ive used my sons Revo S quite a bit and must say its a great reel so I'd give that serious consideration
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 10:41 PM   #7
nybass1
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the deal tips from tackle warehouse and cabelas. I checked out the revos and they seem to be awsome reels and its probably worth it to spend the extra money. Also on cabelas i saw the quantum accurist for 99.99 and i own an accurist pt and love it. Whats your guys' input on that reel?
nybass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 10:53 PM   #8
Backwater Charlie

The best value in a reel is arguably the Shimano Curado 200E (E7 has 7.1 ratio E5 a 5.1) for $145 from eBay is a hell of a deal.
Old 05-31-10, 10:10 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to use any of Abu's mid level reels like the S, SX, or STX. But the ones I have used or own are great reels. You can get some good deals on new and 2009 model Revos on ebay, just make sure you know which one you're bidding on. The new Revo SX, STX, and Premier have swept handles.

Also, check out the Daiwa Viento at TW. I have had one for two years now and love it. $130 is a great deal on one, and if I wasn't looking for a high speed reel, I'd probably buy another one.

BB
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM   #10
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For me, money is an issue... Walmart has the Revo S for 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than Bass Pro... its 99.99 there. I like the Revo reels, but i have an older model pro qualifier i picked up on craigslist for a steal and i love it...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 11:44 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

I would look no further than the RevoSX. I have a ton of them and they are great reels. I have never had a problem with them and they are a super smooth reel. I guess they are considered a mid range Revo but I have used the STX and Premier and I honestly like the SX the best.
Old 06-01-10, 10:21 AM   #12
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I would look no further than the RevoSX. I have a ton of them and they are great reels. I have never had a problem with them and they are a super smooth reel. I guess they are considered a mid range Revo but I have used the STX and Premier and I honestly like the SX the best.

I agree with CRig, the SX is a really good reel. I actually think it is smoother and casts better than the STX. The black and red color combo looks awesome, too.
Old 06-01-10, 05:31 PM   #13
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

My choice would be a Daiwa Tierra. Its the easiest damn real I own to set up. Its super smooth and casts freakin awesome. I got mine brand new from ebay for $124 shipped. I also own a Quantum Code, a Curado 201E7, and an '09 Premier. I use the Curado for pitchin weightless, and the Premier for T-rigs/tubes. The Premier is a PITA to dial in for me.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 08:41 AM   #14
gottafish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
The best value in a reel is arguably the Shimano Curado 200E (E7 has 7.1 ratio E5 a 5.1) for $145 from eBay is a hell of a deal.
No doubt !!!If you can pick one these up at that price i would look no further!! Even a citica at $120 retail is a great reel. I have not used one yet but I have heard from my brother that the REVO STX is a great reel and that is coming from a shimano guy!!
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 05:06 PM   #15
geezer1

Curado 200E7 if you want high speed, Curado 200E5 if you want slower speed, Citica 200E if you want value.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 12:24 AM   #16
Rebbasser

ny, if you can go someplace where you can go hands on and see which one feels right to you. That is the one you get. Everybody has their favorite, but what works for me might not work for you. Advice is great, but you are the one that will fish with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.