Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-02-13, 10:14 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Take Care Holding a Bass

I know most of us are aware of how to hold a bass that we are planning to release. But just in case some of you are unaware, here's a good illustration.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 11:38 PM   #2
bassinbob

Did you ever watch Bill Dance hold up a bass? A lot of the bass he holds up is with one hand then sometimes he will use both hands. I do not disagree with the cautions described above. Just saying Bill does it a lot. I do not promote holding them any other way than safely. Anyways most of the bass I catch are to heavy to hold up horizontally.
Old 12-03-13, 12:12 AM   #3
joedog

Woody thanks.

I'm a release funatic and never had a challenge untill this forum convinced me to take pictures.

How does one person take a pic and hold a bass in one hand. Camera in another.
Another article I just read says not to use Bogas and lip griping devices. Says they and lipping can damage jaw muscles and ligaments hurting it's ability to feed.
If a Boga hurts it. My guess is clamping it onto a scale and letting it hang can't be good
Another says to keep them in the water while unhooking.

I do try to handle my fish horizontally but sometimes that's easier said than done.

Great share Woody!
Old 12-03-13, 07:57 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

That is a good looking little tip but I wish I knew the why's. Are they saying that you'll damage or break the jaw if you don't hold them their way? Are they saying you'll damage delicate internal organs? If the latter is what they mean then vertical is definately not the way to go. If it's the former frankly I'm not convinced. I've caught bunches of fish from public lakes that had mangled broken mouths that were thriving nicely.

The only "rule" I have and believe in is to always hold a bigger fish, say 5 lbs + (and definately 7-8+), horizontally and support the stomach. Other than that I always try and respect them all to a degree but hey they're not egg shells.
Old 12-03-13, 08:41 AM   #5
joedog

Ken my understanding is that it 'CAN' damage or strain muscles and ligaments in thier jaws making it hard for the fish after release to feed.

Now I've seen anglers lip a large fish and while lipping try and remove a deep hook taking like 10+ minutes before hook out and the release.
I've seen anglers show off a heavy fish for 10 min or more while lipping the catch.
Now these actions I truely think are hard on a large fish.

When I was young I was batting balls for my Golden to retieve and I threw the ball up and the dog jumped up to get the ball when I tossed it up in the air to bat and I cracked that poor dog SO HARD in the mouth it brought tears to my eyes. BUT it wanted still to play fetch and he definitly ATE that night.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.