Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-04-10, 04:41 PM   #1
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Carolina rig

Just wondering how everyone was doing with it at the moment. Its the hottest thing going for me at the moment having a blast with it.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 12:05 AM   #2
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin2729 View Post
Just wondering how everyone was doing with it at the moment. Its the hottest thing going for me at the moment having a blast with it.

I haven't c-rigged yet this year. Maybe after I get over this bug and get back out there.
Old 06-05-10, 12:16 AM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Oddly enough, thats a technique I've never tried....Dunno why but I've been thinkin more about it lately....Guess I just need to purchase the stuff to build one and try it sometime and see what happens.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 12:22 AM   #4
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Oddly enough, thats a technique I've never tried....Dunno why but I've been thinkin more about it lately....Guess I just need to purchase the stuff to build one and try it sometime and see what happens.
If you have a swivel, weight, and a hook you're already there.
Old 06-05-10, 08:52 AM   #5
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post

Hey King , I got a good little kit at Gander Mtn on sale. Its a Berkley kit , comes with the bead , hook , swivel , weight and lizards. Easy to make up , and I got it on sale for a few bucks.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 09:01 AM   #6
Jim80

It is a rig I would like to use more than I do , But I also feel it would be a better open water technique , as most of the places I currently fish are smaller and pretty choked with weeds I just don't utilize the C-rig , but lean more towards unweighted plastics .

Jim
Old 06-05-10, 09:16 AM   #7
CamG

There's no doubt that a Carolina Rig is a great post spawn presentation...but man, it's painful for me to chunk a ball and chain all day. I get bored real fast with it.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 09:22 AM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
There's no doubt that a Carolina Rig is a great post spawn presentation...but man, it's painful for me to chunk a ball and chain all day. I get bored real fast with it.
you aint alone there cam

zooker
Old 06-05-10, 05:04 PM   #9
Bassboss

Eeehhh... C-rigs and me and never really got along to well. Never caught much on them.. but I really have never given them there far share of time on the water either. When ever I'm posed with a deep water situation, I most of the time I'll either throw a jig a 'em or a deep crank.

But now that I think about it, a c-rig would do well for me so my baits up and over the weeds, but I'm still on the bottom. I've never really found a good floating lizard or big worm at any local places.. so that my be another reason.

Got any tips? What kinda baits you like on 'em?
Old 06-06-10, 07:36 PM   #10
screwballl

Too much underwater veggies here. I like to use a similar method but put around 1/8 or 3/16 oz weight in the worm or soft plastic to let it sink enough to the top of the thick weeds but not down inside of them... then run it along the top of the weeds like a C-rig and the few openings that do have fish usually snag it up pretty quickly.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 10:14 PM   #11
rangerryan

Ever watch paint dry? thats the c-rig in a nutshell for me. If i absolutly have to do it, i will. But i have to admit it puts fish in the boat.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 06:04 AM   #12
zooker

screwball

use two 3/8oz worm sinkers back to back with a bead between them..it'll come thru grass like nobodys business..

zooker
Old 06-07-10, 10:48 AM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
screwball

use two 3/8oz worm sinkers back to back with a bead between them..it'll come thru grass like nobodys business..

zooker
Zook, interesting idea....but do you also put a bead between the "rear" sinker and the swivel? I thought the main point of the bead (besides making noise) was to protect the knot at the swivel.
Old 06-07-10, 11:02 AM   #14
BassinNC

I don't use a c-rig near enough. I want to start using it more myself.
Old 06-07-10, 01:10 PM   #15
geezer1

Man, I thought I was alone in this "don't fish C-rig much" category. Lot's of you in the same boat as me, & pretty much for the same reasons. I'm going to make a concerted effort, this year, to give the C-rig a real chance. I suspect I'm missing out on a good thing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 03:30 PM   #16
screwballl

The grass here is so thick that there are not any fish inside it or below it anyways, so I avoid the standard layout of a C rig completely and just use enough weight to get it down to the top of the grass without losing too much of the action or purpose. I have lost and snapped too many lines and lures with weighted setups, even with 50+ lb braid, it is just super thick.

I use different variations. Sometimes I will use the same small weight only in front of the swivel without any beads and leave the worm a foot or so back with the hook buried so it looks like it is sitting on top or slightly above the vegetation. Other times I will leave out the swivel and have the weight come up directly to the front of the worm.

There are even times I use a swimbait weighted hook, partial texas rig in the worm which keeps it at an angle or tail up but light enough it stays along the top of the veggies.

Unfortunately the standard c-rig is too deep and gets into the tied and grown together vegetation of my area. It would be like tossing into a dumpster full of tangled 100 lb fishing line, you can skim the lighter stuff along the top but the heavy presentations just dig in and pull back loads of stuff with it, which wears you out quickly.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.