Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-18-11, 08:43 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default spinning a prop

I have heard this term before. I have heard boat owners say they have spun a prop. I am a relatively new boat owner omly 2 or 3 years still learning. What is spinning a prop, can you do something to prevent it. Plus as far as boat maintenance goes i have my lower unit fluid changed each year around thanksgiving, change spark plugs at least once a year and use stabil each time i gas up to prevent ethanol issues and winterize.
Is there anything else i need to be doing preventive maintenance wise.

thank you
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:14 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Spun prop - the prop & hub are seperate pieces, with the hub having a hard rubber sleeve and is pressed into the prop. Normal wear will weaken the union, to where is will not be as tight. The torque of the prop, or striking something underwater with the prop, may be the final straw where the union finally lets loose, and the prop shaft spins the hub but the prop slips. At that point the hub will need replaced, a shop can do that, and it's around $75 +/- depending upon the hub required. A hub is usually motor specific (although some Yammie & Merc are interchangable depending upon the shaft).

Regarding routine maintence - I use a fuel additive everytime I put gas in the tank. My outboard is a Yamaha so I use ringfree, which is recommended by the manufacturer. There are others out there both manufacturer specific and "generic brands", like seafoam, that may work as well, but I am anal about using manufacturer's products in my outboard. These additives are supposed to reduce carbon buildup in the cylinders. Using an additive may also extend the life of your sparkplugs, depending on how many hours you put on your outboard each year - I get two years from a set.

Another thing I'd recommend (if you don't have one) is a fuel/water seperation filter. With ethanol fuel, water condensation can be an issue. This filter is installed in the fuel line and will prevent water from getting into the outboard. Replace the element every year. If you're adding Stabil, I hope it's the blue (marine) as it also helps with the ethanol issue.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:53 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are also props made with replaceable hubs no pressing necessary,or shop for that matter they tend to spin easier due to gripping fins on each side one for the prop other for the shaft.Replacement cost is half the fixed hub,along with the benefit of using many different replaceable hubbed type of props.And they are small one can carry a spare hub as takes up almost no room like 1 in x 3 in. I use additives as well,seafoam or the blue stayble.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.