Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-21-11, 03:06 AM   #1
DaAliG
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Cathedral Hull Overhaul

Hi guys,

I am new to this site and this is also my first post. I am writing from Namibia (South West Africa) and I am in desperate need of some seriously good advise. I recently bought a cathedral hull (dori) boat which I believe has great potential for bass and tiger fishing in our local dams and rivers. Before I bought it, I knew I had to replace the transom as I have noticed stress fractures around the outboard. Can anyone give a true and honest opinion regarding SeaCast. I am about to import this stuff to Namibia which will set me back a considerable amount and I need to know how much better this stuff really is compared to the conventional marine plywood.

Cheers
DaAliG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:02 AM   #2
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do you have access to West Systems Epoxy where you are? Sea Cast appears to be a pourable epoxy with a filler. West Systems has that with their regular epoxy mix and #404 high density filler. Look into that, it may save you a lot in shipping costs. Look up West System on the Internet.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 03:35 AM   #3
DaAliG
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks very much,

Will check it out. How does this stuff then compared to Seacast?
Old 09-22-11, 07:44 AM   #4
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I looked up Sea Cast on the net after reading your post. From reading their website, it looks like a pourable epoxy with some sort of recycled material to act as a binder/filler. Hence the green tag. I know nothing of this products quality, good or bad. I do know West Systems really well. It's strong, light and very user friendly. There are a lot of boats sailing the oceans of the world that are constructed or repaired using" wood epoxy saturation technique". WEST.
My thought was that if this is available where you live, it might save a bit on freight. ( international hazmat, etc.)
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 05:17 AM   #5
DaAliG
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks so much for the advise!! I have made contact with people (Harveys Composites) in Cape Town who distribute West System products and it looks very promising!! Will keep this post updated on the progress of my boat transom repair.

Cheers

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.