Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-05-11, 12:36 PM   #26
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Dog, thanks for the vote of confidence.

However, I don't think anyone at this point is adhering to the notion that they know what they're doing.

I don't want this thread to degenerate into a plssing contest, so here goes a different approach.

If I may do my best to summarize what I think are the main theories here. The mentioned parties should feel free to correct me if I mis-state their position:

Bassboogieman: Bass start gaining weight during the Fall, then gradually lose weight until the Spring spawn approaches. Not sure where Boogie would say the "skinniest" period would fall.

Kennethdaysale: Bass gain weight during the late Summer, then begin slowly losing weight until the Spring spawn. they then start gaining weight again, peaking in late Summer.

Me: Bass start gaining weight in the Fall, continue gaining until the Spring spawn. They "bottom out" in the late Summer.

What are everyones' personal experiences with this? When have the bass you've caught been at their fattest?
Hey NFE I certainly didn't mean to ruffle your feathers and I am no bigger fan of name calling than you are. I have lost more than one debate and could well lose others, its called learning. However I must stick by the adjectives I used in the otter forum, the points we were debating could have been posted by anyone, I wasn't attacking you personally(heck I don't even know you) just addressing the posted comments.
I agree with your summary of my position on this weight issue and will stand by it. At the risk of sounding like school kids on the playground concerning chapter and verse research""you show me yours and I'll show you mine""
And yes I have seen Dougs seasonal video that clearly shares my views on this subject.....but hey I've seen videos of shrinking glaciers, I'm still not on A> Gores mailing list.
Old 10-05-11, 12:56 PM   #27
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, I have mixed feelings on this one.

Going fishing this weekend, I hope the bass at Rend Lake agree with Kenneth. Here's hoping I don't have to post pics of a bunch of skinny bass.

Although it is fall now, so maybe the debate will rage on.
Old 10-05-11, 03:23 PM   #28
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My opinion is that Bass have brains the size of a pea, and memories to match, purely instinctual creatures, that only do what they do because of the environment around them. If they are feeding, it's because forage is there, no other reason. The "notion" that they have some inate knowledge of seasonal change, and prepare for it, is bogus.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:54 PM   #29
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Doesn’t the abundance or lack of food also come into play. I think many animals gorge themselves because as I said earlier there are no super markets. That being said you also need to look at the metabolism of the fish. Ok we know bass don’t hibernate but they are cold blooded so they do kind go into a suspended state. I would like to know what makes one bass eat shad dying and sinking to the bottom and another bass not be interested . I think fall pattern groups shad in a more consolidated area which is good for bass……which is good for most anglers….me I love the fall but I still prefer fishing offshore
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:13 AM   #30
joedog

Ya know I was just thinking, if anyone has ever had aquarium freshwater fish, thier environment (size of tank) plays a bigger part in thier growth ability irregardless of how much they eat. I've actually seen some eat themselves to death (kids over feeding).
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:55 AM   #31
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not very scientific nor a big debater but here are my thoughts:

Fall usually produces larger fish, perhaps because they feed on a larger food source instead of smaller prey or fry like in the spring. In Springtime the bass have spawn on their mind or lets say its"instinct" because as nofear suggests and I believe as well that bass are not smart at all. I think everything they do is instinctive and/or conditioning. Conditioned by us, our lures, our presentations and fishing pressure.

They instinctively eat in the springtime to prepare for the spawn so therefore reproduction is to them like all animals "the reason they are alive". Look at salmon, they basically live only to reproduce. Post spawn the water temperatures have risen and most go deeper but they still eat but on more of a maintenance level.

In the Fall the bass are gorging again because of water temperatures falling thus natures way of telling them to prepare just as a squirrel gathers nuts. No they don't hibernate but they do slow down a great deal and become much more lethargic and even though they do eat much less I believe that they still have to eat.

On another note no matter how much we discuss the matter we still will never know exactly how many bites are caused by hunger vs reaction.....

My simple 2 cents.
Old 10-06-11, 10:24 AM   #32
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Research shows that largemouths do begin to store energy as fat rather than protien this time of year.

And no I have no idea who did the research, or where or when. But it was in writing so...it's got to be true right?
Dr. Loren Hill (Kenyan Hill's dad), University of Oklahoma.
Old 10-06-11, 10:31 AM   #33
Bob Smith

I think, as several of you have pointed out, that the perception is a "fattening up process". As the water temps cool down and the shad make thier annual migration into the shallow zones one more time. The fish inherently and without thinking, gorge themselves on the easy feed. Right now on my local lake (Allatoona) down here in North Georgia that process is in full process. The calmer days with lots of sunshine has the plankton moving and the shad are bunched up everywhere! The fish are running them clean out onto the bank in places. Personally, I feel that it's just a natural cycle, not hibernation or anything of the sort. Nature just has a way of ensuring the next generation of baitfish by allowing one last shad spawn and the bass just gang up on the feast when it's available. When the water temps cool then the whole process just slows down.
Old 10-06-11, 02:24 PM   #34
joedog

Thanks Bob!
Old 10-06-11, 07:46 PM   #35
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Thanks Bob!
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:02 PM   #36
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it was. He passed away back in 2008.
Old 10-08-11, 02:12 AM   #37
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I'm with NFE here, Bass don't "fatten up" for the winter, period. They have no cognitive ability what-so-ever, they don't know that there will be four feet of ice on top of the lake in a few months, it doesn't matter how many winters they lived through. They react to their environment, period.
After reading every post in this thread I can't find anyone that gives fish any credit for cognitive thought.
Old 10-08-11, 08:31 AM   #38
bassboogieman

Quote:
After reading every post in this thread I can't find anyone that gives fish any credit for cognitive thought.
Or attributes that trait to NFE either*.

*I know NFE, he is a friend and I have enough posts to insult him freely and often.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 05:55 PM   #39
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Or attributes that trait to NFE either*.

*I know NFE, he is a jerk and I have enough posts to insult him freely and often.
Fixed that for you.....
Old 10-09-11, 08:05 PM   #40
bassinbob

I believe they are just reacting to the availibility of forage. Being cold blooded they eat what they need in different temps. One exception I entertain is females needing more food to promote the production of eggs.
Old 10-09-11, 10:51 PM   #41
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Fixed that for you.....
Good thing you're from Mississippi, or I might have taken your comment seriously.
Old 10-09-11, 11:42 PM   #42
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	free20cat.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	7246
Old 10-11-11, 12:18 AM   #43
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

Going fishing this weekend, I hope the bass at Rend Lake agree with Kenneth. Here's hoping I don't have to post pics of a bunch of skinny bass.

Well..how'd you do? Slayed um dent ya? Fat hogs too I bet WR's in the 130's!!
Old 10-11-11, 09:54 AM   #44
nofearengineer

Sadly, I did not get to put our theories to the test.

I fished wind blown rip-rap for hours, thinking it would be the ticket for bass. And it was...just the wrong kind of bass. We caught a bunch of White Bass, but no Largemouth.

Oh well, at least the Bandit 200 was slaughtering them, and the Terrova worked flawlessly at keeping me one cast from the rocks.

I got a quite striking sunburn.
Old 10-11-11, 10:11 AM   #45
lilmule

I came ,I saw ,sometimes they conquer and havnt a clue why.
Just know I enjoyed my self while at the pursuit thereof.
Most of the time anyway.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 10:56 AM   #46
kennethdaysale

Oh well White Bass are fun and spunky..............looks like your avatar could've used a little spf40 as well.
Old 02-07-12, 08:03 AM   #47
kennethdaysale

I don't want to keep picking at a dried up old booger but...............these cold water winter fish came from the same fertile lake with abundant forage and could be as fat as they wanted to be.......they are healthy but fat is the last adjective I would use to describe them. I understand this evidence is localized and anecdotal...just saying?
Old 02-07-12, 08:17 AM   #48
ETXbassassassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Crainkbait has arisen from the frigid depths
Old 02-07-12, 08:45 AM   #49
ETXbassassassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I should have looked at the OP dates a little closer before "opening my mouth."
Old 02-07-12, 01:17 PM   #50
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

in my observations of bass fishing for close to 50 years, bass do go on a fall feeding spree, but it has more to do with opportunity than need to fatten up for winter. why not take advantage of an endless smorgasboard, and you have temps in their optimum range. in lakes here in the ozarks, shad will gather up in big schools. actually white bass are a big factor in gathering the shad schools up into big schools. black bass will follow as the eating is easy. all fish have to have those natural instincts of survival and know when to take full advantage of easy eating opportunities.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.