Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-07-08, 06:56 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Night Bassin'

OK, admit it, how many of you sneak out of the coop at night to try and be Mr. High and Mighty, bettering your chances, claiming you have caught the biggest bass in the whole lake? I know I've done, but I have a problem...

Do you use your baitcasters at night? Since 60% of my rods are BC, and 60% of those rods maintain night lures, I want to use them, but I am afraid of the "Birds Nest", just to catch Mr.Bass.

What do you Guys do in a sit-chi-a-tion as stated?

-Lunk-
Old 01-07-08, 07:09 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well if you can cast a baitcaster in daylight you can do it in the dark. you will get backlashes from time to time, a flashlight is very handy when this happens. i like cats eyes type lights that clip on the bill of you hat. also if you use flourescent line with a blacklight it helps see your line when you are fishing but it can also help you see to pick out a backlash. i reccomend blacklights with led lights to help keep bugs from bothering you. in the spring and summer, night fishing is awesome! i fish a ton of night tourneys and it is a great way to avoid the playboat traffic that we have so much of here on tablerock and lake of the ozarks. on these clear water lakes so much of the daytime fishing is extremley deep, but at night you can catch some big fish shallow. and you never know what you might see on the water after dark, i know we all have stories of crazy things we see on the water at night.
Old 01-07-08, 07:48 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL, use spinning tackle, with the right rod and reel, and of course line, you can do anything on a spinning rod as you would a baitcaster. Or just don't get Backlashes.... I know thats not going to happen though. One of the guys I know who is awesome at baitcaster was fishing with me at a local reservior and his lure hit a rock right after he let go of the spool. He said it was the worst backlash he's ever had.

Back to the point, Like I said befor,e use spinning tackle. That way you'll only have to worry about line twist and knots and such. Which a quick cut and retie will fix. If you want to fish at night with your BC however, do as C-Rig said, take a flashlight and a small tool to pick the backlashes with. Like the things the dentists use.

Good luck with your night fishing.

BB
Old 01-07-08, 07:53 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Thanks Guys, I'd like to know more about the blacklight though. What is this? Where can I look at one?

-Lunk-
Old 01-07-08, 08:02 PM   #5
BigBassin144

The black light will help you see your line (not braid unless it's that new stren fluorescent braid) at night. It's used so you can detect bites. You can check 'em out at Cabela's, BPS, Gander Mountain, etc.

BB
Old 01-07-08, 08:07 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=TOP_SEARCH_GO

here are just a few of the million different ones out there. i have the night lll's led blacklight and i really like it. i also have the bps night stalker lll. it can run on d cell batteries so i take it when i am in someone elses boat, that way i don't take up there 12v plug in. when you use flourescent line with a blacklight, your line will look like like it's as big as a ski rope. you will be able to see your line well on a cast which helps to see if a fish is swimming with your bait, light bites and things like that. they will also help you see a little ways out from the boat so you can see about how far you are away from the bank. the cats eyes lights i use are just the white led ones, but they come in blacklight also, can't say how good they are because i haven't used them.
Old 01-07-08, 08:25 PM   #7
lunker-lander

So do you leave it on the whole time?

-Lunk-
Old 01-07-08, 10:13 PM   #8
brushhog

You guys know Lunker cannot resist a new piece of gear!

Prediction: Lunker will have at least one blacklight by Feb 1st
Old 01-07-08, 10:27 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
You guys know Lunker cannot resist a new piece of gear!

Prediction: Lunker will have at least one blacklight by Feb 1st
Sorry Brush-Diddly(LOL;couldn't resist), not this time. I need at least $300 by March 1st; gotta start saving for my Slop-N-Frog/Chronarch MG($525 Total). Mom said if I had that $300 by March 1st it's mine! Workin' my azz off on the weekends with Dad, chores for Mom, and then some...

After that I hope to get a nice Gore-Tex Guidewear Rainsuit from Cabela's. Looks dandy, carries a hefty price, but it'll be great for those cool, Fall mornings!

-Lunk-
Old 01-08-08, 01:34 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

leave it on while you are fishing. mine suction to my boat so i take them off when making runs. they will only work with flourescent line, you should know this so you don't cuss me for leading you wrong.
Old 01-08-08, 04:55 AM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
OK, admit it, how many of you sneak out of the coop at night to try and be Mr. High and Mighty, bettering your chances, claiming you have caught the biggest bass in the whole lake? I know I've done, but I have a problem...

Do you use your baitcasters at night? Since 60% of my rods are BC, and 60% of those rods maintain night lures, I want to use them, but I am afraid of the "Birds Nest", just to catch Mr.Bass.

What do you Guys do in a sit-chi-a-tion as stated?

-Lunk-
LL,

I don't want to sound all jedi like, but when I first learned with my curado, it was in the late fall and through the dead of winter usually when it was already dark. Sometimes I had the benefit of the street light in the cul de sac and more often not.

As a result, I got in tune with the sound of the spool. From start the whizzing sound is fairly high and then as it comes closer to stopping the sound of the spool diminishes. It is about when the spool's sound nearly stops is when to place the thumb on the spool.

Focus on the sound of the spool. You won't even need to feather the spool. Heck, I hardly ever do. It feels cooler to cast without a thumb on the spool until the end. However, all bets are off if you hit something like a shrub or bush that you can see.
Old 01-08-08, 10:52 PM   #12
BigBassin144

IB, that does sound Jedi-ish.

That reminds me:

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.