Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-01-13, 06:07 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Carolina Rig - help needed

I consider myself pretty good with Texas Rigged soft plastics. They are probably my number 1 confidence bait. With no weeds yet this year and the cold Spring, the fish seem to staying away from shore. Most of the fish that I have caught have picked up a T-rigged worm off the bottom in 10 feet of water on a long pause and most have been small 13 to 14 inch bass. When the wind picks up it is near impossible to fish a T-rigged worm on the points I was fishing.

I thought I'd give a Carolina Rig a try in water from 10 feet down to 15 feet, or even down to 20 feet. I bought some beads and 3/4 oz tungsten weights. (at $15 for 4 sinkers; the monkey is still laughing) I tried it in both calm and windy conditions... all I caught was bottom scum. I tried points with both steep drops and shallow grades. I also fished the C-rig in submerged creek channels with no luck. I caught a few small bass on each of these spots with a T-rig but couldn't get a single bite on a C-rig.

Maybe I was just in the wrong location and a C-rig is better suited for a sandy or gravel bottom without the scum that I seemed to be picking up? I realize that some muck on the sinker is to be be expected with a C-rig. The bite was light. Maybe I didn't have the experience to feel the bite with a C-rig? I was fishing with 30 pound Suffix 832 braid as the main line and 3-1/2 feet of 8 pound InVisx Flurocarbon as the leader. I could have tried a lighter sinker... 3/4 oz seemed oversized to me, but with some of the wind we have had and wanting to fish deeper I wanted to start with something heavy. 1/2 oz probably would have been plenty. I'm used to fishing T-rigs with 1/8 or even 1/16 oz bullet sinkers.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 05-01-13, 08:33 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I consider myself pretty good with Texas Rigged soft plastics. They are probably my number 1 confidence bait. With no weeds yet this year and the cold Spring, the fish seem to staying away from shore. Most of the fish that I have caught have picked up a T-rigged worm off the bottom in 10 feet of water on a long pause and most have been small 13 to 14 inch bass. When the wind picks up it is near impossible to fish a T-rigged worm on the points I was fishing. Impossible because the wind was blowing you off your spot? because the wind blew a bow in your line and you couldn't feel your worm? because you couldn't see your line? Maybe try anchoring--a little heavier lead--flourescent line--in that order or all 3. Also try fishing with the wind at your back, not only keeps the bow out of your line but line is easier to watch when you're looking down on it.

I thought I'd give a Carolina Rig a try in water from 10 feet down to 15 feet, or even down to 20 feet. I bought some beads and 3/4 oz tungsten weights. (at $15 for 4 sinkers; the monkey is still laughing) I tried it in both calm and windy conditions... all I caught was bottom scum. If they were hittin a texas rig in the scum they'll surely hit a c-rig. I tried points with both steep drops and shallow grades. I also fished the C-rig in submerged creek channels with no luck. I caught a few small bass on each of these spots with a T-rig but couldn't get a single bite on a C-rig.

Maybe I was just in the wrong location and a C-rig is better suited for a sandy or gravel bottom without the scum that I seemed to be picking up? I realize that some muck on the sinker is to be be expected with a C-rig. The bite was light. Maybe I didn't have the experience to feel the bite with a C-rig? The best time to gain experience (confidence) in c-riggin is when you've found some active fish that seem to be hitting anything you throw at them. Once you've felt a few you'll see that it's not very different from a T-rig bite. I was fishing with 30 pound Suffix 832 braid as the main line and 3-1/2 feet of 8 pound InVisx Flurocarbon as the leader. I could have tried a lighter sinker... 3/4 oz seemed oversized to me, but with some of the wind we have had and wanting to fish deeper I wanted to start with something heavy. I never really did much good with a c-rig until I learned to forget about the whole sinker/leader aspect of it and simply focused on the worm and the "tap" or "pull". 1/2 oz probably would have been plenty. I'm used to fishing T-rigs with 1/8 or even 1/16 oz bullet sinkers.

Any advice would be appreciated!
This might help......try using *Senko* brand (not anybody's knockoff) in 5" or even 4" and a 1/0 hook and either barely skin hook it or even better just let the exposed hook lay flat against the worm. Then just reel in very slow and steady......they will hook themselve 75% of the time, the other 25% a quick rod lift will do it.
Real senkos because they're the softest and even though you might be thinking slow and steady is creating a boring non strike inducing action to the worm....not so....do it a couple of times in clear shallow water and you'll see!
Old 05-01-13, 10:50 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

How are you fishing the c-rig? Its different than a texas rig in its motion. I fish a c-rig quite a bit and have caught a bunch of fish on it.

If you aren't doing this already, do a sidearm sweep sort of motion. Sometimes you can do the sweeps fairly quickly, but often the slow presentation (time between sweeps) will catch more or sluggish fish.

And I would recommend even throwing a finesse worm or a baby-brush hog/lizard.

It is going to take some practice though. And remember the fish can swim three feet before even moving the sinker, so don't be afraid if you see your line move to be ready to put the hammer down. (DO NOT shorten your leader though, should be making 2 splashes)
Old 05-02-13, 05:34 PM   #4
Dave63

You can use it about anywhere, but IMO the bite doesn't really pick up until the water warms up a bit. I've used it in weed, rock, shell beds, mud, etc. Are you throwing braid? That can help with detecting bites. One of my favorite c-rig plastics are Baby Brush Hogs.
Old 05-02-13, 08:34 PM   #5
lilmule

Well when I started using one was also in the spring also a 3/4 sinker.
I do use braid normally but higher pd test then mono 10 no more than 12 from the leader,seldom lose anything if I do its from snap swivel on.Drew a guy a year ago who lost at least five tunsten weights using mono.
With say 30-40 or more pd test then mono you can feel every bump every rock tell if it is rock or wood after a bit or mussel shells just by the feel,and a crig I dont finesse with bushhog or lizard or worm I actively move it faster than any T rig.I use a long leader say 3 ft and it never actually sits on bottom the sinker does as I move it or sweep it forward as do it with the rod retrieving line afterward or during,bait sort of floats behind and above the bottom.And when bit side sweep hook set not up.Ive actually boat flipped 3 lbers on that rig.Ive also told guys a fish was breathing on it next thing you know bam.
Rod also enters into it a cheap berkley lightning,6 1/2 ft (older grey version) works like a charm.
Straight mono will work just lose more weights etc,and now years later am using 1/2 oz mostly,3/4 for deep an real windy days.
Ps use a glass bead,you will love it-yard sales 1 dollar necklace.Have several year worth fav colors are blue,green and red.Warning fake pearls will also gets strikes,where you have no hook.Glass will have a certain click resounding noise.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-02-13 at 08:48 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 04:38 PM   #6
merc1997

here is, perhaps, a better way to c-rig. i do not use the traditional c-rig. i have used this setup for years. all of my fishing buddies have adapted to it, and named it the missouri rig. i use a three way swivel. you main line is tied to one ring, your leader line to another, and on a short drop your weight. on the short drop, i no longer just use a weight, but instead incorporate a jig with the weight. the advantages with this setup are numerous. first off, it is easier to throw because you have a swinging weight. second, you can fish two baits. and, you are also in direct contact with either bait at all times. so, you detect strikes instantly, which can not be said for the traditional c-rig. plus, you get a much better hookset because you do not have a weight in the middle of your line taking up shock to the hook when the hook is set.

if you are confused on how to set this rig up, send me a pm, and i will send you some you tube links of videos i have done on this setup.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 07:35 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
here is, perhaps, a better way to c-rig. i do not use the traditional c-rig. i have used this setup for years. all of my fishing buddies have adapted to it, and named it the missouri rig. i use a three way swivel. you main line is tied to one ring, your leader line to another, and on a short drop your weight. on the short drop, i no longer just use a weight, but instead incorporate a jig with the weight. the advantages with this setup are numerous. first off, it is easier to throw because you have a swinging weight. second, you can fish two baits. and, you are also in direct contact with either bait at all times. so, you detect strikes instantly, which can not be said for the traditional c-rig. plus, you get a much better hookset because you do not have a weight in the middle of your line taking up shock to the hook when the hook is set.

if you are confused on how to set this rig up, send me a pm, and i will send you some you tube links of videos i have done on this setup.

bo
Sounds great, but would be illegal for me to use here in MN.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 09:46 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Just skip the jig part and use a heavy drop shot weight or better yet (to me) one of those flexible type hollow paracord things with buckshot inserted to the proper weight. This my favorite way to c-rig hard baits like a Rapala #11 or 13 in deep summer creek/river channels.
Old 05-07-13, 03:09 PM   #9
IowaBasser

Thanks for all the input, hopefuly I'll get back on the water in the this weekend or the following weekend, otherwise it will have to wait until June. The water should be warming up into the 60's over the next 2 weeks and the bass should getting more active. This will be prime pre-spawn season here in Iowa, and I hope to use a C-rig to catch a couple big females waiting in deeper water while the little boys come up to prep the beds.
Old 05-11-13, 07:40 PM   #10
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
you can use a just a sinker on the drop, and be legal. it still fishes better than a c-rig

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 09:07 PM   #11
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
How are you fishing the c-rig? Its different than a texas rig in its motion. I fish a c-rig quite a bit and have caught a bunch of fish on it.

If you aren't doing this already, do a sidearm sweep sort of motion. Sometimes you can do the sweeps fairly quickly, but often the slow presentation (time between sweeps) will catch more or sluggish fish.

And I would recommend even throwing a finesse worm or a baby-brush hog/lizard.

It is going to take some practice though. And remember the fish can swim three feet before even moving the sinker, so don't be afraid if you see your line move to be ready to put the hammer down. (DO NOT shorten your leader though, should be making 2 splashes)
I agree. Remember that a T-rig is more of a vertical presentation and a C-rig is more of a horizontal presentation.

One thing I do is with the sinker. I fish a lot of real rocky lakes and the traditional egg or barrel sinker tend to get hung up-a lot. Several years back I started using a Lindy No-Snagg or Rattling No-Snagg sinker. They are banana shaped(Yeah, I know, but I'm not superstitious when it comes to that) that just flat come through the junk without getting hung up or collecting a bunch of snot moss. worth a try if you spend more time removing vegetation than you do fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.