Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-22-07, 12:57 AM   #26
KeithsCatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Bring 7'6" flipping rods to do your flippin with. Match it up with 50lb braid. Lots of grass to pull fish out of. Leave the weenie rods at home

This is the only lake I have ever got lost on. Not because it is so big. I have been on much larger lakes before. This lake was hard for me because the shoreline all looks very similar. Once you are out in the middle it is hard to remember where you came from. Luckily I saw a boat ramp and some Wardens where there and I told them where I launched and they pointed across the lake. I wasn't even close haha.

When I was there I was seeing Gators out in the middle of the lake. None where close to the shore they where out in the middle popping up. I was afraid I was going to hit one going 65mph.

Have fun. Use GPS if you have it. If not, do well to remember where you started from.
Old 02-22-07, 02:09 AM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keith is right you can get turned around. I failed to mention a couple landmarks to make it easier to know where you are. While the lake shore does look very similar, Bird Island has two massive oak trees that stick out. Ox island has what looks like a huge Christmas tree, and also it did have a lone palm but I think a hurricane may have got that. Rabbit island has a small shed with a tin roof that can reflect a little light on the north side of the island, and to the south of the "school bus" area, near the pig trail but north of Sturm island there is a grooup of 6 or 7 palms right together. Also the kissimmee canal on the north side has a huge white and orange sign for navigation that you can see for 5 miles or so.
Old 02-26-07, 01:03 PM   #28
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the forum keith!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 05:03 PM   #29
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsCatch View Post
I was afraid I was going to hit one going 65mph.
Hit a giant sea turtle (3-4 feet diameter) before at around 30mph Thud Thud . . .
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 08:32 PM   #30
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Still in Florida and having one of the worst vacations I've ever had. I've got a few pictures that I have to get developed, and I'll post those when I get back home.

Started off getting here on Friday, took the boat over to y girlfriends uncles house in order to charge the batteries. Well, all is good until we back the boat up, and it starts smoking rather badly. (This boat caught fire at a tourney in Alabama and cost him the win), well, turns out that the battery strap that holds the battery in had broken somewhere (realy rough roads down here!), and the battery flipped sideways and with an aluminum boat... you get the point. Arced over and fried the ground wire, and tore up a bunch of stuff. We spend all day Saturday trying to get the wiring redone, and get it accomplished, tested it out, and it ran fine. So we get all excited, charge the batteries over night, come back the next morning, pick the boat up, and head over to Lake Wales where we were planning on finding a room. Never found a room, so we slept in the truck, which was fine. Woke up early the next morning, went down to the south end of the lake, dropped the boat into the water, and the damn thing won't start. So rather than get pissed off, we just decided to fish off the troling motor down at the end by the locks. Never caught a fish, saw a couple of gators, and actually a couple of big fish, but never could get locked onto them. We fished for a couple hours, and decided to head back, and try to get a room.

We found a room, got checked in, brought all the stuff in, and started going to work on the boat, day and a half later, it's still screwed up, and luckily a gentlemen came to the motel who had a Skeeter boat that he was not using for the tournament, just brought it down to practice as he was fishing no-boater. So we fished off that the other day, and I had three bites all day, and only one got into the boat. Very nice fish, about 4 1/2 pounds, and definately the biggest fish I've ever caught in my short fishing experience. it was nice to at least catch a fish, but for a week long fishing trip to only turn into about 7 hours was really dissapointing.

So last night my girlfriends cousins took me to a pond that they pull huge bass and mudfish out of, and were really optimistic about it, cause they have fished it the last few days, and caught tons of fish, none of which being below 5 pounds. So we go, fish for about 3 hours, and don't catch a damn thing, had a few bites, and some come to the bank, but nothing to lip and throw back into the water.

I really don't think I'm supposed to fish! People all over the lake were catching fish like crazy, and we could not find a fish to save our lives on Kissimmee. We've tried everything the locals have done, along with the stuff we thought would work, and just couldn't figure them out. This lake is awesome, and definatly would be a lot of fun, and I think things would have been a whole lot different if we would have gotten to fish a whole bunch more. Definately enjoyed myself though, we're staying in Hudson right now, and will be crusing around tomorrow to find some things to do. I'll be posting pictures when we get home either monday or tuesday.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 09:15 PM   #31
WTL

Wish I would have known, I prolly could have found a place for yall to stay on the lake at a fish camp.
Old 03-01-07, 09:48 PM   #32
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
Still in Florida and having one of the worst vacations I've ever had. I've got a few pictures that I have to get developed, and I'll post those when I get back home.

Started off getting here on Friday, took the boat over to y girlfriends uncles house in order to charge the batteries. Well, all is good until we back the boat up, and it starts smoking rather badly. (This boat caught fire at a tourney in Alabama and cost him the win), well, turns out that the battery strap that holds the battery in had broken somewhere (realy rough roads down here!), and the battery flipped sideways and with an aluminum boat... you get the point. Arced over and fried the ground wire, and tore up a bunch of stuff. We spend all day Saturday trying to get the wiring redone, and get it accomplished, tested it out, and it ran fine. So we get all excited, charge the batteries over night, come back the next morning, pick the boat up, and head over to Lake Wales where we were planning on finding a room. Never found a room, so we slept in the truck, which was fine. Woke up early the next morning, went down to the south end of the lake, dropped the boat into the water, and the damn thing won't start. So rather than get pissed off, we just decided to fish off the troling motor down at the end by the locks. Never caught a fish, saw a couple of gators, and actually a couple of big fish, but never could get locked onto them. We fished for a couple hours, and decided to head back, and try to get a room.

We found a room, got checked in, brought all the stuff in, and started going to work on the boat, day and a half later, it's still screwed up, and luckily a gentlemen came to the motel who had a Skeeter boat that he was not using for the tournament, just brought it down to practice as he was fishing no-boater. So we fished off that the other day, and I had three bites all day, and only one got into the boat. Very nice fish, about 4 1/2 pounds, and definately the biggest fish I've ever caught in my short fishing experience. it was nice to at least catch a fish, but for a week long fishing trip to only turn into about 7 hours was really dissapointing.

So last night my girlfriends cousins took me to a pond that they pull huge bass and mudfish out of, and were really optimistic about it, cause they have fished it the last few days, and caught tons of fish, none of which being below 5 pounds. So we go, fish for about 3 hours, and don't catch a damn thing, had a few bites, and some come to the bank, but nothing to lip and throw back into the water.

I really don't think I'm supposed to fish! People all over the lake were catching fish like crazy, and we could not find a fish to save our lives on Kissimmee. We've tried everything the locals have done, along with the stuff we thought would work, and just couldn't figure them out. This lake is awesome, and definatly would be a lot of fun, and I think things would have been a whole lot different if we would have gotten to fish a whole bunch more. Definately enjoyed myself though, we're staying in Hudson right now, and will be crusing around tomorrow to find some things to do. I'll be posting pictures when we get home either monday or tuesday.

Welcome to bass fishing rotfl. I wouldn't be too disappointed with everything when you caught the biggest bass of your life so far Boats are a pain, and it was awful nice for the guy to let you use his Skeeter, that's just about unheard of As for the pond, well if they fished it for three days and caught tons of big fish, they aint gonna keep biting after being soremouthed. I am sorry about the problems, but at least your fishing instead of watching ice melt.

Lizards
Old 03-01-07, 11:18 PM   #33
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Welcome to bass fishing rotfl. I wouldn't be too disappointed with everything when you caught the biggest bass of your life so far Boats are a pain, and it was awful nice for the guy to let you use his Skeeter, that's just about unheard of As for the pond, well if they fished it for three days and caught tons of big fish, they aint gonna keep biting after being soremouthed. I am sorry about the problems, but at least your fishing instead of watching ice melt.

Lizards
That is definatly true Lizards. The boat is a POS and hopefully will be gone by the time the weather warms back up in Indiana. The Skeeter was amazing though, definately something about flying down a lake at 70mph, and lots of room for fishing too.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.