Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-21-05, 06:00 PM   #1
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinning tackle for bass

Hey,i use spinning tackle for alot of my bass fishing and have had alot of sucess with.Whats everyone's thought's on when and where to use spinning gear.Thx
Old 10-21-05, 06:50 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well if it's the only stuff you have, use it all the time LOL. There are as many different opinions as there are spinnig reels, and baitcasters. I have gotten used to baitcasters, and use them more often than not nowadays. I however still like spinning for light weight baits, especially weightless plastics, and also for a c-rig, mojo-rig, or drop shot rig. The reson is that when casting these style of rigs, they have a tendency to twirl around in the air, creating more backlashes. So I just use spinning gear instead of trying to change my casting technique. However you can use a spinning reel for "ANYTHING" you use a baitcaster for, but the baitcasters have their advantages/disadvantages also. Use what you like. For pitching I would say a baitcaster is my choice, but everyone is different.

Lizards
Old 10-21-05, 06:58 PM   #3
zooker

type and kind of spinning reel really don't matter much rod lenths from 6-7 foot are good. m-mh actions are standard fair.

zooker
Old 10-21-05, 07:05 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

I mostly use baitcasters, but I have a spinning reel handy for small,light baits and for fishing in heavy wind, not to mention drop shotting. As lizards said, you can use spinning gear for most fishing, but baitcasters are better suited for some applications IMO.
Old 10-21-05, 07:50 PM   #5
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the forum,your like me,using spinning tackle for most applications.
but it has its weaknesses.its hard to pick up the strike on it with a jig,imo.
but i seldom use a jig.for me,bait casters are a little more exspensive.i always
use a baitcaster with a jig.i will use it sometimes for colorado spinnerbaits too.but most importantly,i am most comfortable with a spinner.just go what you think is more suited for you,
Old 10-21-05, 08:33 PM   #6
rrw4258

thats all i have is spinning rods, i can feel the stirke with a jig fine with a spinning application, i use 20lb. power pro line, and you can really feel the bottom with it.
Old 10-21-05, 09:00 PM   #7
KH.

imo.i can feel the strike with a spinner,jst i can feel it faster and more preciscly or however you spell it easier with with a baitcaster.
Old 10-21-05, 09:31 PM   #8
bassinbob

Welcome to the forum, All I used to use was spinning till this past year. Love baitcasting. I still use spinning gear for different types of situations. Mostly when using a buzzbait to locate the bass. I don't have to switch the rod to my other hand. Although I did start switching the baitcaster to my other hand as the bait was in the air. By the way I use power pro braid on my spinning rod for buzzbaits. When I use my boat I usually have 5 baitcasters and 3 spinning rods rigged and ready to go with different baits. If you're having luck with spinning then stick with it, but don't dismiss baitcasting. It takes a lot of practice but it's a good tool for a specific job. To me it's also more fun than a spinning rod.

Bob
Old 10-21-05, 11:23 PM   #9
skeeter944

hey,welcome to the forum. i mainly use spinning gear for light weight baits and finesse. they seem pretty good with line weights of 6-12 pounds, which is about as high as i go with spinning. ocasionally, i use spinning with a topwater or crankbait, but i mainly fish plastic worms and jigs on a baitcaster with 15 pound line.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 11:25 PM   #10
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey don't go out and buy a baitcasting outfit. I only use one rod for all of my baits/lures and I use spinning. And I have fun catching plenty of fish. Unless your a tourney fisher or want a different style you can still have fun catching fish with spinning.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 09:33 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
imo.i can feel the strike with a spinner,jst i can feel it faster and more preciscly or however you spell it easier with with a baitcaster.
Well first off the "REEL" has nothing to do with detecting bites. That's a combo of your line, rod, and senses, nothing to do with the reel. So this statement has no basis for your concern about spinning or baitcasting REELS. Along the same line, a spinning rod usually will allow you to cast farther, due to less drag on the line, and it is also better designed IMO for fighting fish, by distributing the weight/pull of the fish more evenly over the rod by the upside down way it is set up, it uses the key points(eyelets) to distribute the load, vs a baitcasting rod, which kinda twists from the line pressure. The rod sensitivity, and the type of line you use, along with how well you watch and feel for the bite, are the things that will keep you from putting fish in the boat, not whether you use spinning or baitcasting. They are both tools, use them based on your abilities. If you are lacking in a area, say baitcasting, then the only thing you can do is practice to get better.

Lizards
Old 10-22-05, 03:33 PM   #12
pig n jig

I just peiced together a spinning outfit for tomorrow.I don't like to use them much, but I think I need a change up in lure presentation to complete my arsenal , alot of times there were fry flipping out of the water everywhere I fished today and I didn't take anything but a flipping stick with a jig tied on.I caught alot of bass, but I think I can put a few more in the boat using a different lure.I like using a spinning rod when the fish doesn't hang on the lure very long, it is quicker to hookset than using a casting outfit. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 11:20 PM   #13
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the thoughts,I usually use spinning when i'm wading for smallies,but when fishing for largemouth i use my spinning outfit to fish weightless jerkbaits and small spinnerbaits(1/8 to 3/8).It's also worked well for skipping baits under docks.Which i'm still trying to teach my bro to do.Thx fluke(from Minnesota).
Old 10-22-05, 11:49 PM   #14
KenDammit

I use spinning gear for lots of things. I really like them with spinnerbaits and with crankbaits. I'm less prone to pull hard on a spinning setup, so it works well for me. The casting distance is nice, really nice. I've fished pretty much every setup on a spinning rod and have never had trouble feeling the bite or having sensitivity. Just as Lizards said, it is all about your line and rod and how well you are tuned in with them.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 12:09 AM   #15
KH.

i can cast whirghtless worms farther with a spinning reel
Old 10-23-05, 07:58 AM   #16
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I keep three spinners rigged on my boat. All weightless with plastic. (1) Fluke (1) Floating worm (1) Stick worm... One reason for the floater worm. if I'm casting and I see a swril, I'll pick it up and throw the worm in the swril. All my cranks, spinners and top water are on bait casters. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy fishing
Old 10-25-05, 07:40 AM   #17
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

i use them in shallow water and around structure.
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 05:48 PM   #18
rrw4258

heck if ya like em go with it, i used a medium action spinning rod made by quantum to land my 7 lb. bass. If ya like it stick with it. That all i use is spinning setups.
Old 10-25-05, 05:54 PM   #19
JB

I carry two spinning outfits when I carry all my rods for a day out on the water, mostly for a grub and also any light weight plastic lure..
My only complaint it when the line won't wrap (due to low tension on the line while retreiving)..other than that I have gotten over the "stigma" of only carrying baitcasters ..I usually see all pro's use both spinning and bait casting.....it just another tool in the anglers bag o' trick IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 10:17 AM   #20
dodgeguy

actually all things being equal i think a spinning rod is more sensative.the reason i say that is most of us palm a baitcaster.with a spinning rod you are holding the handle and not the reel.to me this translates into a sensitivity edge for the spinning rod.that said i still prefer baitcasting but i do have a spinning rod ready and some days i use nothing but it.
Old 10-29-05, 09:19 PM   #21
LowDownSOB
BassFishin.Com Member

I used to fish spinning outfits all the time. Now I mainly use baitcasting. I like the added accuracy and larger line capacity. Casting distance is also better with a BC reel. I still use spinning for lighter applications and you can't beat 'em for skipping lures. They're also perfect for drop shotting and fly lining plastics. Most of my buddies who have made the switch to baitcasting never looked back. If your comfortable with your current set-up then stick with it. Spinning will always be a viable tool with lots of applications that don't work as well with a baitcaster.
Low Down
Old 10-30-05, 08:02 AM   #22
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use spinning gear for light stuff..primarily in colder water. The local lake I fish has too much grass and heavy cover to effectively use spinning gear in late spring untill mid to late fall. Fish to strong and the bigger ones (5lbs./up) will break the line and your spirit to quickly. I don't use big spinning gear that handles 12 to 20lb. test line because it is too heavy and bulky to match the reals and rod's properly with the line size. I have bait casting hear to throw wieghtless senko's and the like. Just can't throw the 4" finnese on it wieghtless...and use 12 lb. and 14lb. test when doing that...no reason for a spinning setup that will wiegh nearly twice as much and cast half as accurately. But I do do a lot of finesse fishing with spinning gear and do enjoy that....I preffer clear water over dirty water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.