Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-12, 03:39 PM   #1
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First bass boat purchase HELP/advice...buying used

Okay I know this question has probably been asked here a zillion times, but this is my first bass boat and I dont want to purchase something I'm going to hate next year.

I am selling my tracker targa this saturday for 8000 and am now in the market for a bass boat. Sooo 8000 is going to be my budget lol. There are tons of bass boats out there and i no certain people have certain boats they love and hate.

This is going to be a boat that is for my dad and I. We are both 6' and less than 200lbs. I have a big garage so length is not an issue. I have never fished a tournament or been in a bass club but want to start. We fish smaller lakes and usually nothing big, but again I want to start fishing a variety of lakes not just local.

What are some main things I should llok for and look out for when buying used?

Two questions for now are dual axle or single?

And dual console or single?
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 03:51 PM   #2
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Here are a few boats im currently looking at.

A 97 skeeter with yamaha 200. Single console and axle for 7500. Boat looks in really good shape. Im reaaly interested in this boat bc to me he is asking a good price.

I was really interested in this 96 stratos 201 pro. It was dual console and dual axle, with a johnson 225 venom. Looked sweet, but this guy was selling it for 14000 and would only come down to 12500. So i told him good luck with that.

And lastly, I spotted a 99 nitro nx882 for 8500 obo. It has a merc 150 and dual console too.

All these boats ive seen on CL.

Someone told me If I could get away for a week I might want to think about driving down south to buy a boat. They said that in the south you could buy a better boat for cheaper than up north.

Wata you guys think
Old 03-26-12, 05:55 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

14 grand for a 96?!?! NO WAY MAN. unless it is in PRISTINE condition. i have a 97 cajun (made by stratos) wiht a 200 johnson venom and only paid 10 grand 5 yrs ago.

i would go for the skeeter. unless oyu came south. there are lots of folks that are selling their rigs down here. might be worth the trip to oyu. but look on cl before oyu come down.
Old 03-26-12, 06:39 PM   #4
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea the guys nuts. I really like the boat but come on. 14 g's for a 16 yr old boat. But who am I to tell him. I bet I will still see that boat for sale all summer.

I mean i guess i could understand if he got a new motor but nope all stock. I've heard guys say they really liked that boat so thats why i was so interested in it, but theres no sense in dealing with someone who probably doesnt want to sell in the first place.
Old 03-26-12, 08:11 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im sure someone will disagree who owns a nitro,the skeeter would be the better buy even if same price.Niro Z models have made a comeback for them but not well finished inside the boat.
As for a trip down south wasting time and gas unless you have a few you know about,when boats come up for sale here on fri gone on mon if priced right.Dealer boats stick around but thousands more even those turn over fairly swiftly.
Dealer here had a 97 201 for 14 k ,98 skeeter 19 ft 12k but dealer prices with small warranty,between private sellers-buyers about 9k-10.no 30 day warranty its yours when you fork over.As for 16 k thats the price of a new 200 outboard,wake up 20 ft plus boats are 50 k and up.
Bargains however can be had in under 20 ft,like a 19 ft skeeter,boat mfg themselves have priced themselves out of the entry level 15-17 fters with reduced hp capacities.
Id take the skeeter out for a spin and see what it will do.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 05:03 PM   #6
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

URRR...

After I had to call the guy who was supposed to buy my boat on saturday he explained to me that he could not purchase it anymore...Thanks for letting me know JACK ***. I was kind enough to hold it for him without a down payment and thats how he repays me. Now I am showing it to someone else on Sunday and He seems pretty interested and I explained to him not to waste my time. The price is the price bla bla you know the drill. I don't want you to lecture me on the price is too high or theres a scratch here I will give you this much. 8000 cash and its ours today no messing around. So he agreed and says he is really interested.

People today are weird about buying things. I've sold numerous things over CL and Ebay over the past year and some people are ridiculous how the try and scam you or waste your time or try and save a buck. Some people would come look at my car and give me a crazy low ball number. I would just look at them and then drive off. No Human Dignity. Maybe it is always been like this who knows. Enough of that...Im just frustrated I was getting excited about a bass boat.

Next time I'll take a down payment...I guess that was my fault for being too nice.

Yeah I wasn't to sure about the nitro seemed like a nice boat but there is something about the skeeter that I just really like. It seems like a lot of boats around me are ridiculously priced the the skeeter seems like a good deal. Hopefully it doesnt sell too fast and I could give it a test drive this weekend if everything works out will selling my boat.
Old 03-28-12, 10:15 PM   #7
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Boy that skeeter went fast. Guy emailed me today and said it sold. Think it was on CL for three days. Well, thats too bad would have liked to look at it.

Hopefully The guy coming to look at my boat is serious and gets my boat this weekend. Hes coming from iowa to get it so Im thinking he wants it.
Old 03-29-12, 06:15 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

That's the nature of the beast. If you have something for sale, never hold it for anyone unless they put a non-refundable deposit on it. That way they are cemented in and if they bail, you get a little to pad your wasted time.

Did you have someone else wanting to look at it while you were waiting on him? If not, your point is moot.

Welcome to the excitement of the boat monkey. I have been living it for a while as some of those that know me will tell you around here.

I don't know if it is a matter of human dignity or being weary. It is our nature to spend as little as we can and get the most out of it. Especially in today's economy. They don't know if you are reliving Duke's of Hazard episodes and jumping the bridge in it or what? They are just looking for your breaking point and you got to start somewhere. Me, personally, I am going to question someone 9 ways to Sunday about something over a couple hundred dollars. It's how I do business. If I am smearing someone's dignity, then fork it, they didn't earn my dollar to tell me how to use it and get the most out of it.
Old 03-29-12, 07:10 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Sadly it's getting worse as time goes by. After earning a living selling stuff for 30+ years (mostly motorcycles-atv's & personal watercraft) I realize that there have been crooks and honest people alike since the beginning of time. However 30 years ago I felt comfortable holding a machine for someone simply based on a handshake, the look in his eye and the tone of his voice, but the last few years before I retired in 08 those cases were rare.
Regarding price......a fair price is whatever price both parties agree is fair.

Regarding your particular experience....Much like a good bowel movement....the deal is only done when all the paperwork is complete.
Old 03-29-12, 11:20 AM   #10
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah i was going to show the boat to someone else that day and told him it was sold. I shook the mans hand and said id hold it for him and he for sure would buy it..., but the other guy called back after seeing it was still up on CL and Im showing it to him this weeked. I kinda feel bad now bc the guys coming from iowa again to see it. He was in chicago last weekend for a visit when i blew him off.

No i totally understand people being weary of spending their hard earned cash and getting the best deal, but when I say the price is the price upfront before someone even looks at it and make sure they understand and they still try n talk me down. Either buy it or dont I dont like to play games.

Its a learning experience...now i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Regarding your particular experience....Much like a good bowel movement....the deal is only done when all the paperwork is complete.
Haha so true good point
Old 03-29-12, 11:32 AM   #11
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post

I don't know if it is a matter of human dignity or being weary. It is our nature to spend as little as we can and get the most out of it. Especially in today's economy. They don't know if you are reliving Duke's of Hazard episodes and jumping the bridge in it or what? They are just looking for your breaking point and you got to start somewhere. Me, personally, I am going to question someone 9 ways to Sunday about something over a couple hundred dollars. It's how I do business. If I am smearing someone's dignity, then fork it, they didn't earn my dollar to tell me how to use it and get the most out of it.
Ya your right i am the exact same way when i buy something too. I think its just the people who try and low ball ya that gets me. Ive found that i usually can talk someone down alittle if i offer them cash on the spot too
Old 03-29-12, 02:11 PM   #12
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

good trolling motor, a big front deck, carpet and gel coat are decent. Also I wouldnt buy on if it didnt have a jack plate on it. Good luck!
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 03:32 PM   #13
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoorefootball View Post
good trolling motor, a big front deck, carpet and gel coat are decent. Also I wouldnt buy on if it didnt have a jack plate on it. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice!

Now im new to fiberglass and i am certain i want a fiberglass boat. I've heard the term gel coat, but dont really know what you mean? Jack plate is the adjustment on the height of motor on the boat too correct?

As far as some things i should look out for when buying a boat are there big no no's that i should stay away from?
Old 03-29-12, 03:38 PM   #14
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Im not %100 sure that i should get a boat right away either. Im considering joining a local club and fishing as a co angler for awhile so I can make a better decision. Considering ive only fished on one fiberglass bass boat before and it was like a 16ft 1988 lol and that was like 6 years ago.

Still on the fence to what i should do. Im definitley going to keep my options open though. Maybe some shore fishing and fishing with other people for a year wouldnt hurt till i figured out what I really wanted.

And in the mean time maybe i could save up some more dough to get an ever better boat!

Who knows tho...im a very impulsive person..still young and have alot to learn
Old 03-29-12, 04:16 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Gel coat is the protective material they cover the fiberglass with...think of it kinda like the clearcoat over the paint on a car. A jackplate lets you adjust the height of the motor....it's a metal bracket that bolts to the transom, and the motor bolts to it. Without a jackplate, you would have to take the motor completely off the transom, move it up or down to another set of holes, and bolt it back on. The jackplate will slide up and down, letting you adjust the height a lot easier.
It definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to fish out of a few fiberglass boats before you buy one. That would give you a chance to see what you like and dislike about different boats, their layout, size, storage, etc. Then when you decide to get one, you'll be a lot better informed about what you want and don't want.
Old 03-30-12, 07:01 AM   #16
Captmikestarrett

As a person that uses boats like tools I look for two key points.
Will the boat suit my style of fishing?
Is the motor good?

I now try to buy new as every pre-owned I have ever owned cost me an engine. 6 in total. Heck one boat my Terry ate two motors.

Capt Mike
Old 03-30-12, 12:32 PM   #17
bassboogieman

1st boat - small lakes - gas prices going God knows where. With those considerations, I'd have kept the Targa. But, you didn't and want a 'glass boat - so ok, I've been there and done exactly that. I would say with the considerations I began with I'd go with something in the 18'6" range. Just about every maker produces one and it's the "entry level" bass boat for most brands. Smaller "bass boats" are made, but when you consider storage and ride, they really are too small, especially if you're planning on regularly fishing with someone else in the boat. As for the outboard, a 150HP will move an 18' boat along fine and the newer the motor the better your fuel economy will be - generally the injected motors use less fuel than a carrburated motor and a 4-stroke could be even better. The drawback there will be the funds you have available, outboads cost about the same as the hull they're bolted to, so a newer motor will blow your budget. Fishing smaller water, you'll want a 24v trolling motor between 67 - 84 pound thrust. Fishing small water, you may run more on the t/m than the outboard - fuel saver!

Looking at used boats - have a mechanic check the outboard. Make sure everything works - pumps, electronics, everything. You're probably not going to find perfect carpet or upholstery and there may be some scratches here and there that will not affect the operation of the boat.

Single axle trailer is fine for an 18' boat - check that throughly also. RUST on the outside? If it is anything other than an I-beam trailer (most are tube or box channel) there will be rust on the inside. A screwdriver is your friend - get under the trailer and you'll see drain holes in the main beam and cross members, so poke around near them with the screwdriver. I've replaced TWO trailers due to rust out - I don't know why they even make PAINTED (galvanized is ok or alum.) steel tube and box channel trailers. Make sure all the lights work. Check the tires, old tires are subject to dry rot and generally, trailer tires should be replaced every 3 - 4 years whether worn out or not.

Right now (IMO) it is a buyer's market. Many boats are available, so take your time and find a good one.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.