Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-25-12, 12:25 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Mo money...

Dropping more money into my hole in the water...

Taking her to get the water pump impeller changed in the morning.

The specs on my motor are 3-6 at idle, and 11-14 at WOT.

She was running only 2-3 at idle and 10'ish at WOT. I got 3 seasons and 200 hours out of the original impeller (when I bought it it was 5 years old without about 20 hours on it), so I guess I've got away with pinching pennies on it longer than I should have. I'd hate to get to Dale Hollow and have a breakdown. Luckily, they can get it done by Saturday.

I toyed with the thought of replacing it myself, but I would have needed to buy an inch-lb torque wrench (I should probably buy one anyway...). I'll probably do it myself next time.
Old 04-25-12, 12:34 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

About two seasons are about it with them,if you fish or boat much,every time mine is in the shop if its been a year have it replaced.Its not that expensive.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:50 PM   #3
MIbasser

I had mine done last year (3 years old). I didn't look like it needed it, but I would much rather be safe and out a couple bucks then be sorry and out a couple grand.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:55 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Lilmule...

In your experience are analog water pressure gauges accurate?

You may remember that I added a Smartcraft Mercmonitor to my boat a couple years ago. The gauge is capable of displaying water pressure from the outboard Smartcraft wiring harness. However, when my boat was set up by Tracker, they took the wire out of the Smartcraft wiring harness and ran it to the analog gauge instead.

I suppose I could dig a little deeper and figure out how to add it back in (mo money, of course ), but if the analog is accurate, I'm not sure it makes sense.
Old 04-25-12, 01:04 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Water pump impeller = CHUMP CHANGE.
But as you know - it never &^%$#** ends

And as I'm typing this the crew that just repaved my driveway is wrapping up their work. I may be able to get the boat out this weekend, expecially if we get a little rain. Tomorrow I may have to start thinking about a part time job. OMG, a job? I just had a Maynard G. Krebs moment.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 01:07 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I just had a Maynard G. Krebs moment.
Just so long as you don't have a Gert B. Frobe moment. (put that soldering iron down!!!)
Old 04-25-12, 02:02 PM   #7
lilmule

Analog is accurate enough,just not as accurate as smartcraft.
Maybe just maybe they didnt know how to add it themselves.
If one knows their eq no problem,my tach is a merc one it lies about rpm reads 100 to high,my gps combo is without support now just a chartplotter,and local mechanics take one look at a cnc outboard and say I cant work on this or like my merc tack lie and say they do or can.Or say its hopped it isnt just a conglomeration of all the best years parts.
Life is good you are taking care of it,that is all one can do.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 12:11 PM   #8
nofearengineer

LOL...when it rains, it pours. (I have to laugh to keep from weeping.)

Taking the boat to the marina today, I noticed one of my tires had a somewhat sick-looking bulge in it. The kind nobody in their right mind would tow to Dale Hollow. Especially with it being a single-axle trailer.

I really hoped it was just from sitting in my garage all Winter, and it might straighten up a bit after warming up, but nope. That tire is done. I will definitely be taking a page out of Boogie's playbook next Winter and putting the trailer on blocks.

So I'm going to shell out another $300 this Saturday to put two new tires on it. I guess I shouldn't cry too much...the tires are almost certainly original, which would make them about 7 years old, even though they probably only had about 10k miles on them.

Did I mention that Cedar Hill called and said they made a mistake...the rate for my cabin is actually twice what I said it was? Fork it over guys...

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 04-26-12, 02:21 PM   #9
bassboogieman

It's a dang shame it won't make it to Dale - I've got two ON rims, I can let you have for less than that. You got a spare to get you to Dale?

I have a 3rd rim if you want your spare mounted on the same wheel. At a very slight additional charge. The wheels are 14" alum., tires are
ST205/75/14D. Price includes free delivery to Dale and assistance with mounting.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-26-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 02:42 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Mine are 215/75R14's, Bruce. My spare is matching, so if I should ever need to use it, I don't have to re-change the tire. Just fix the flat and make it my spare.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not taking any chances on not getting to Dale. Plus, you guys would have an interesting time checking in if I don't get there first.
Old 04-26-12, 09:03 PM   #11
nofearengineer

You will rarely hear me complain about something not taking long enough....but here goes LOL.

The mechanic told me it would take 2 days (saturday) to get my boat back. What do you know, but in the middle of a construction meeting, he calls me up and says the boat is ready. Seriously?!

That's all great, but I had already made plans to get my new tires on Saturday. I don't want to have to haul it across town any more than I need to. So I tear over to the marina, and I discover someone has stolen my trailer wiring adapter out of the bumper socket AGAIN. Very irritated, I try to make lemonade out of lemons. I manage to get out of there by about 4:15. The tire place closes at 5. Can you say HEMI?

I got to the tire place about 4:40. They do not want to work with me LOL. But, luckily I had bugged the guy enough earlier about having the tires in stock for Saturday, he had already gone across town and got them from their warehouse. Since it was closing time, they were like crazy people. From the second I walked in, it took 12 MINUTES to drive away with new tires installed. They will be getting all of my tire business from now on. Screw Pep Boys.

(By the way...that one tire was totally separated...he said he was amazed I had gotten it there.)

Feeling pretty good about everything, I took her to a car wash and got her nice and pretty (at least on the bottom, I'll hand wash the top). Oh yeah...also stopped and bought another adapter...

A hectic day, but at least I'm done monkeying with the boat and can go ahead and get it all loaded up.
Old 04-27-12, 09:08 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
I discover someone has stolen my trailer wiring adapter out of the bumper socket AGAIN.
I leave mine (adapter) attached to the trailer. I probalby shouldn't say it but - it's still there. When I drop my boat for service, I remove the adapter and stick it in the glove compartment. The guys at the shop don't need the adapter. That thing stuck in the socket at the back of the truck just SCREAMS steal me. Fool me once shame on them, but TWICE, I don't ever want to hear you say they got you a third.
Old 04-27-12, 10:34 AM   #13
MississippiBoy

While I was going to a community college close to here, somebody stole the receiver off my hitch. I went out the next day and bought another receiver, with a locking pin, this time. Haven't lost an adapter yet, though.
I hate thieves....
Old 04-27-12, 11:38 AM   #14
nofearengineer

I don't want to buy another one either, Bruce.

It was just a case of I had to drop it off on the way to work, so I was in a hurry. Since I wasn't going to be parked more than 2 hours, I parked on the street instead of in my spot. That was my mistake...some homeless bum probably stole it.

Bruce...the other time it was stolen was at the boat ramp. I came back to trailer my boat, and the trailer was unplugged and the adapter gone. I wouldn't exactly say I deserved that one either.

Oh well, such is luck.

If BOAT stands for "break out another thousand," THIEF surely stands for "to hell in eternal fire".
Old 04-27-12, 07:55 PM   #15
bassboogieman

OPPS, I did not mean to imply or infer that you "deserved" to be a victim of a thief. I hate a thief and stealing is stealing regardless of the value of the item taken. If you took it that way - I sincerly appologize. There is no way I would ever think, much less state, that anyone deserves being a victim. What I did mean was I would be dissapointed if you hadn't learned from these two previous errors and allowed it to happen again. No matter how insignificant we think an item may be, to a theif if it's accessible and easy they'll snatch it. Unfortunatley we need to learn to consider that as it relates to any item we leave unsecured and accessible, no matter how "trivial" that item may be (to us). If we don't want to lose it we need to secure it because today we cannot rely on trusting others to respect property that isn't theirs.
Old 04-27-12, 09:44 PM   #16
nofearengineer

I didn't take it that way at all, Bruce. I just meant it kind of like a Job thing...where he basically says to God "hey...I don't deserve this, so stop it!" Anyway...I'm light years ahead of last year as far as getting all of my toys together, so I'm tall cotton right now. Hopefully all my Rod Gloves will arrive tomorrow, so I can get my rods all packed. Good luck on the Potomac, bub.
Old 04-28-12, 08:41 AM   #17
bassboogieman

OK and thanks.

You have Rod Gloves comming? I think you'll like them, I have a different brand, but love them. Easy to get on and off and they will protect the rods in the locker very nicely.
Old 04-28-12, 10:38 AM   #18
nofearengineer

Yeah...I took advantage of the 20% off from the "other board", and bought some. I was originally just looking for the wrap for my Humminbird wiring, but I chased the rabbit really far down the hole.
Old 05-10-12, 10:56 PM   #19
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It is a sport that requires cash, sometimes more than others.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.