Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-03-12, 09:53 PM   #1
jake pelt
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs down Progressive boat Insurance

I was a loyal customer for several years with a RV trailer, a jet ski and a bass boat. I've always spoke very highly of this company because of its national recognition. I felt safe. I was even told I had a vanishing deductible since I never had a claim. Well the day finally came when some jerk stole my new spare and rim off my boat trailer. Nothing else was touched. When I filled the claim the person taking the claim at Progressive told me I had no deductible. The next person that contacted me made arrangements for the adjustor to come out and make the appraisal also said I had a vanishing deductible. When that person came out he told me I'd get a check in the mail for $18. He said the vanishing deductible was the boat only and not the trailer. I faught this for days and in the end I got screwed. I was told that was the way it Flo's by one of the chairman at the top. You'd think they would have covered such a little claim when I was told I had NO deductible for being a great customer. I guess a company that size with all its advertising can change their minds whenever it suits them. However, we bass fishermen and fisherwomen have that same right! So all you progressive holding safe feeling customers you'd better watch it. For those looking at boat insurance do yourself a favor, LOOK ELSEWHERE. DON'T GO WITH THE FLO! LOL
Old 11-03-12, 10:05 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I dropped them a while back over a similar deal.....plus there's just something about that gal Flo that gives me the creeps, not sure what it is but she just seems like she could use a good grudge ____.
Old 11-05-12, 01:04 PM   #3
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default No Problem With Progressive

I've had them for 12 years. I had some clown take a fender out (fiberglass) & of course I never found out WHO did it. It was covered. When I first insured the boat I specified Boat, Motor, & Trailer. Don't assume your trailer is covered. It has to appear on your policy. I just checked my policy again to ensure. Unless you had other claims on that same policy it'll affect your deductible and start the clock over.

Had hit & run on my car, yeah I know this wasn't a boat, to the tune of $7624 damage back on Jul 17. Cost me $250 deductible. Just got new auto policy and the 6 month payment dropped dropped $27. I've had them long before Flo showed up and have no complaints.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 01:25 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've had good luck with them, too. Bent a couple of trolling motor shafts and no problems getting them fixed. did have a deductible, though.
Old 11-06-12, 10:47 PM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

not a prob since 95. had a couple bad things happen too...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 12:12 PM   #6
MIbasser

This may sound dumb, but why did you file a claim for a spare? Most insurances go up after filing a claim. You could have went and picked up a spair for $100 and called it a day. I guess if it was a 20" chrome rim and a Z rated tire I might be a little upset (I don't have one, but a reason I have a cable around my spare) but it's just a spare.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 03:42 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Sorry about your insurance troubles.

It dawns on me that if the process for paying our premiums was as difficult as getting claims settled, they'd go out of business.

I always carry my spare tire in my truck, locked up. After seeing the damage caused by one breaking free under a boat at high speed, and having stuff vandalized/stolen, it'll ride in the truck forever.
Old 11-07-12, 04:24 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

My sympathies on the insurance claim.

When I got my (birthday present) boat 3 years ago, one of the first things I noticed was that both tires were 'checked'... and there was no spare. I bought two new tires and rims, and I'm using one of the checked tires as a spare. I wouldn't trust a checked tire for a long haul, but if I had a flat, it would get me home from the lake...and if somebody wants to steal a 10 year old checked tire, they ain't getting much! I'll be laughing last and I have another one just like it in the garage!
Old 11-16-12, 01:51 AM   #9
Bender

I've had them for a few years and no problems but no claims. They are the only company that I found that offers a high enough rider to cover electronics and tackle in addition to the boat and trailer. I try to make sure everything is covered just in case. But like it was said earlier, I don't think I would claim a spare. I'm more concerned about an accident or somebody stealing rods or tackle which they promptly paid to my friend when his boat was broken into even without receipts for everything.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 03:13 AM   #10
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've had them since I bought my boat in '07. Had to give them a call this spring when I spun a bearing on the way home. They got a flatbed out there for me and got it loaded up. Over 70 miles left to get it home, didn't cost me a dime. My policy covers the boat, trailer, and everything in the boat. I made sure to get those options because I've heard from others that had rods stolen from their boat and their insurance wouldn't cover them because they're weren't attached to the boat.

Last edited by bluebasser86; 11-16-12 at 03:18 AM.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 11:41 AM   #11
Captmikestarrett

They are big but in real world they are listed as one of the top 25 worst companys to do business with.
Cited mostly for customer service issues.

Did the person on the phone have an accent?

Capt Mike
Old 11-16-12, 02:30 PM   #12
lilmule

Ive had no trouble with them-no claims either,not silly enough to file one for petty things.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 07:09 PM   #13
BrackishJack
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BrackishJack

I totaled my lower unit running up a tidal river and they covered the whole thing minus the deductible which was only about $100 or something.

The thing about insurance is that vanishing deductibles and being "paid up" always result in one thing, they take it out of somewhere else. Being paid up on your whole life policy means they take the premium out of your proceeds, so that when you die, your survivors get nothing. Beware.
BrackishJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 07:18 PM   #14
bamabassman

hhhmmmm.....interesting. thanks jack!
Old 01-28-13, 10:24 AM   #15
bassboogieman

Progressive took care of the hull damage to my boat, even though I did not discover it and file a claim until four months after the damage occured. I am very happy with them. The repair shop taking 10 weeks to complete the repairs - NOT SO!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 12:18 AM   #16
Rebbasser

My policy will be up in June but I am looking at Boat US and requested a quote. Progressive has been fine, but I recently found out the CEO of Progressive is a political cronie of George Soros. That is enough for me to make the switch.
Old 02-15-13, 07:17 PM   #17
jake pelt
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
This may sound dumb, but why did you file a claim for a spare? Most insurances go up after filing a claim. You could have went and picked up a spair for $100 and called it a day. I guess if it was a 20" chrome rim and a Z rated tire I might be a little upset (I don't have one, but a reason I have a cable around my spare) but it's just a spare.
First of all not all of us are rich like you and insurance is for filing claims on your property. My spare was a fully functional spare off of a very expensive Triton trailer not a jon boat. You couldn't buy my rim for $100...lol . I only at first inquired into my insurance adjustor at progressive because I knew of vanishing deductables all ready. I was told I had no deductable and then at the actual appraisal by the adjustor I was told otherwise. I was lied to by two different represenatives before that day. The tire was a $150 tire plus labor and warranty. The Rim was about the same so it was not just $100. Hell I paid into that piece of crap company several years on sevaeral different vehicles and never had a claim. I guess I expected to much. They will never get another dime from me and I will make it my mission in life to make sure no other angler does the same. You ask why didn't I just blow a hundred dollars and replace the tire? You should have been asking why did't that billion dollar company just spend $300 measly dollars like they said they would and keep a valued customer happy. Wait, you must work for them. That or you are just another know it all who's always right. By the way my spare was also locked to the trailer.

Last edited by jake pelt; 02-15-13 at 07:19 PM. Reason: left out answers.
jake pelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 07:23 PM   #18
jake pelt
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs down petty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Ive had no trouble with them-no claims either,not silly enough to file one for petty things.
This was not petty. I've paid into their company for years with several different policies. I was lied to by two different reps. The whole amount was over $300...not petty to us working class and that is why I pay for insurance jerk!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.