Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-12, 03:00 PM   #1
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gps

I am thinking about a GPS only unit. I am loking at one of the small Lowrance fishfinder/GPS units to use just as a full screen GPS because they are fairly inexpensive. Has anyone else done that and did it work out well? Thanks Shane
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 03:48 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Any of them can be used full screen,almost all brands have some cheaper models

Last edited by lilmule; 03-02-12 at 04:22 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 04:42 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I did that with Lowrance units, a 510C sonar and a 5200c GPS. Both were 5" units used on my bass boat. The two seperate units made it easier to see them when at speed. Now with my Humminbirds, they are both combo units, but I retained the 520C sonar in my helm dash with an 1197cSI beside the helm and still utilize seperate functions when running on plane. The 10" screen for GPS is fantastic, and the smaller screen in the dash is used for depth, as the transducer on the Humminbird SI units sometimes doesn't hold bottom very well above 60 MPH. I'm not big on splitting screens unless absolutely necessary, and sometimes it is, but I much prefer utilizing the entire screen for whatever function I need at the moment.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 06:14 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you mean a chartplotter?

A pure GPS unit would be fairly useless except as a navigational tool.
Old 03-02-12, 06:29 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
A pure GPS unit would be fairly useless except as a navigational tool.

That's precisely the purpose of a stand alone GPS unit. Useless? When that's its' only intended or designed purpose. How can it be usless? That's the reason one purchases a GPS unit. I guess I should throw away my TomTom because it only tells me where to go. Come to think of it, so do you. I'm now calling that GPS a BryceBryce.
Old 03-02-12, 06:38 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Bruce, I am talking about a GPS unit that does not have maps, but only GPS coordinates.
Old 03-02-12, 06:40 PM   #7
skeeter1804

Ok if you want to be that technical yes a chartplotter.
Old 03-02-12, 07:34 PM   #8
nofearengineer

No offense, but you did say "gps only". I wasn't sure what you meant. I'm sure Lilmule has used one in the past LOL.
Old 03-02-12, 09:29 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post

That's precisely the purpose of a stand alone GPS unit. Useless? When that's its' only intended or designed purpose. How can it be usless? That's the reason one purchases a GPS unit. I guess I should throw away my TomTom because it only tells me where to go. Come to think of it, so do you. I'm now calling that GPS a BryceBryce.

Lol. You could always have Bryce ridin shotgun.....
Old 03-02-12, 10:10 PM   #10
bassboogieman

Quote:
Lol. You could always have Bryce ridin shotgun.....
Are you kidding me? That would put my boat in a perpetual LEFT TURN..............

You wern't at Wheeler, but Bryce told me HIS boat would run circles around my boat - well it did, but only clockwise..........................

I'll stop now before I get a phone call and he sics his parrot om me.

Quote:
Bruce, I am talking about a GPS unit that does not have maps, but only GPS coordinates
OK, ya got me, I didn't know those things were even available anymore, never crossed my mind. Therefore, I publicly appoligize for my comments, I was completely out of line, overly aggressive, argumentative and a complete azzhat. But I'm still calling my GPS BryceBryce.
Old 03-02-12, 11:20 PM   #11
skeeter1804

Nofear I really meant buying a combo unit but only using it as a GPS/chartplotter not as a fishfinder.
Old 03-03-12, 01:02 AM   #12
bassboogieman

That's an option and I don't think that either of the big two (Lowrnace & Humminbird) make a stand alone GPS suitable for marine use. Lowrance does have an "off road" Chartplotter, but I don't know if it accepts navigation chart chips. Garmin would be another well known brand to look at and they do make a dedicated Chartplotter, although they are not much cheaper than a combo unit by either L or H. It's seems a waste of money to buy a combo unit to use solely for GPS, but if you want either of the 2 big guys that's probably what you'll have to do. There are other marine GPS brands but they are mostly dedicated to offshore use. It's a bit of a shame Lowrance stopped making dedicated GPS Chartplotters, the Lowrance 5200c I mentioned earlier was a nice unit that was reasonably priced

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-03-12 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-03-12, 01:03 AM   #13
nofearengineer

I understand, Skeeter. I wasn't trying to be pedantic.

As for what you want to do, I see a lot of guys doing that...running the downscan/side-imaging on one unit, and a smaller gps/chartplotter next to it. It would definitely make switching between views a thing of the past.
Old 03-03-12, 06:50 AM   #14
lilmule

Both right and wrong I do use one by itself it is a (785c2i)chartplotter(5 in screen) but does have gold preloaded.
Its only use is to aid navigation and put a name to a spot where im located.
Even without preloaded they all have uni maps that show water and land just no contour,some with nav aids some without.Trusty single beam next to it for running cost 30 bucks,used .
So in effect still use one that way bought solely to grope my way around on ky lake with nav aids sprinkled around between huge flats.One word of caution all maps are drawn at summer pool meaning ky lake 359 during winter that part that says 6 ft deep barely has water over it.And there are or is an occasional glitch in them navionics has an island out of place about 1 1/2 miles,run over it all the time,still makes me nervous but 12 ft of water there,update may eventually fix it.
I also own a color 755c eq with uni maps but mmc card compatible,that I would part with but think he wants lowrance.You can also do a menu option if eq with transducer to merely print the depth on top or bottom of screen versus a split screen,just as one can for distance to or time or speed.
Not even my single beam will show bottom above 60 mph just flashes the actual depth at you,and still accurate does same at 90,so little difference at speed.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-03-12 at 11:58 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.