Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-28-06, 10:32 AM   #1
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn
Default Barbed or Barbed less

Barbed Hooks or Barbed Less Hooks?
Do you buy hooks with out barbs or bend them down?
Any suggestions on releasing fish without injuring them
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 10:42 AM   #2
scrap

i try to bend the barb back. i do not enjoy injuring the fish to the point of it dying because i could not get the hook out. i would like to catch that fish another time.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 10:47 AM   #3
abugarcia6

i never bend mine back but if u had a fish on and he was jumpn wuldnt it be easier for the hook to fly out?
Old 01-28-06, 11:37 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You can put barbless hooks on your crankbaits when prefishing a tournie, then go back the tournament and hope (fingers crossed) you can get her to bite again..I don't know how many tournaments I've been in that you end up getting bites all week prefishing and by the day where the money counts comes along, something has changed and you have to figure them out all over again. Most guys that fish barbless hooks just feel for the fish and let them spit it out..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 11:38 AM   #5
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Yes it would abu. People bend them down if they are fishing for fun and don't want to injure the fish. I do that from time to time. On tournaments I never bend back my barb because every fish matters.
Old 01-28-06, 04:33 PM   #6
Fishing4Soup

when we go to the pond and fish with a worm on just 1 hook we take pliers and mash the barb down when catching smaller bass and blue gill as well as trout
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 07:12 PM   #7
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

what did you do ,watch Jimmy Houston this morning and then post??
Old 01-28-06, 08:57 PM   #8
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Any suggestions on releasing fish without injuring them
Minimize the handling. If you can, grab your pliers and get the hook out while the fish is still in the water. If you have to handle bass, hold them by the lip. Try not to handle the body because you could remove the protective slime. If you must handle the body, wet your hands first. And release it as soon as you can. One rule of thumb is to keep it out of water no longer than you can hold your breath. Release it gently, don't just toss it out there.

I've never used barbless hooks but I wish I had the guts to use them and risk losing some fish. Also be great for me when I hook myself, which has happened more often than it should.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:13 PM   #9
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I mash the barbs on pretty much every hook I use other than trebles, and have not lost a fish because of it. Its not as big of a deal as it would seem, especially for a recreational fisherman. Its also 10x easier to unhook a fish, especially if you get into any of the fleshy tissues that are tough to get a hook out of. I recommend it, and don't think a barb is gonna make much of a difference in holding or losing a fish, when you think about it. I would venture to say that most "lost" fish were either poorly hooked or hooked in thin flesh thats easy to rip, pretty much negating the benefit of a barb in the first place.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:57 PM   #10
crankybait

i read an article, and it says barbless hooks do lose more fis. but anyways, about the release, it also said to hold the fish in the water until it starts kicking. and wet your hands, and hold it over the water in case it falls. hold it firmly by the lip, and right before the tailfin if its big
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 11:06 PM   #11
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Va Basser,
It was close, but I posted just before I saw him. I had to laugh, wondering if anyone would make a connectiong ROFLMAO, but honest I wanted to post this question yesterday.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 11:07 PM   #12
basstech

Some hooks have "less" barb on them, it depends on what the barb is like whether or not I mash it, or just bend it in enough that the hook slides in easy. Usually there is a lot more damage on the hook set and fight than in the removal of the hook. Man I don't want to tell you guys about this but, Back in the late eighty's I had just started bass fishing again and for the first time since I was 16, on a consistent basis (2 or 3 times a week minimum) I had just started to get into plastic worm fishing a lot and was using those Johnson Keeper hooks that have the spike on the hook eye to peg your bait to. Sometimes my hook set was "overzealous" and being inexperienced when I would get the fish in there would be an inch long gash in the fishes face. That stopped as soon as I started using a thinner wire hook and learned a solid proper hook set. But, just made me sick to my stomach to see that damage done.
Old 01-29-06, 12:31 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've been known to pinch down the barb from time to time. It does seem like certain hooks have wider angled barbs than others. I think if you keep steady pressure on the fish you can't blame tossed lures on the pinched barb. Sometimes, even though you do nothing wrong, a bass comes free.

I don't like seeing pros and TV show hosts drop them from so high. Poor things belly flopping from 4-5ft. up! It just seems painful. I see it way too often. They're pretty tough though. Remember, they are in the same family as bluegill, sunfish, crappie, and rockbass (Centrarchidae). None of these fish are as fragile as salmoniods, northern pike, pickerel, or muskellunge.

By the way, I still see people pushing musky forward and back, which causes water to flow backwards into their gills. Not something they experience unless uneducated anglers have their hands on them. Rocking them side to side is better, but I push them down and back up (not out of the water) to get the oxygen flowing back through their system faster.
Old 01-29-06, 08:48 AM   #14
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Like Basstech, I bend the barb back down, but gently. This allows the hook to penetrate easily, but still leaves a "bump" to keep the hook in. I do try to bend the barbs when fishing soft plastics and now that I'm getting into crankbaits will be bending them down gently as well.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 09:01 AM   #15
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

i use barbed hooks, and i just hold my breath and pray for a clean hook. there have been times where ive had to struggle alot to get a hook out , especially if it hooks in a sensitive place. but usually if you get a good clean hook just through the mouth or lip, barbed arent too bad to take out.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 04:45 PM   #16
flfireman

I keep the barbs, I dont like to lose fish. ( I do that with or without them now). If I hook in a sensitive area I'll cut the hook and feed the ends out or take whatever I can get and leave the rest.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.